Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series

Old 02-11-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
CaptainDingo

Post Using Mods In GTA IV

Modding Grand Theft Auto IV can extend its lifetime a great deal after you've already beaten the game. Modding in GTA IV is especially fun because of things like the Euphoria physics engine allowing you to bang yourself up in hilarious ways.
Disclaimer
Not I nor the creators of these mods are responsible if you bork your installation of the game. If you have the Steam version, one comfort is being able to reverse most mod changes by running a "Verify Integrity of Game Files" on GTA IV. I'll also include instructions on how to remove most of the mods I've linked to.
Making Your GTA IV Mod-able

99% of the mods you'll probably enjoy using are small .asi scripts that need to be loaded into the game via something called an ASI loader.

An ASI loader is typically a .dll file that you place into your GTA IV folder (\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\grand theft auto iv\GTAIV) and will run all by itself once you start the game. It does not replace any files, so removing your .asi mods is as simple as either removing all the .asi files or removing the ASI loader so the .asi files can no longer be loaded. You place the .asi script files inside the same folder. The ASI loader will load all the .asi files it finds automatically.

Here you'll find the ASI loader I use. Download it, put it in your folder, and I'll start listing off mods I like!

*Click here to go to the mod site I use; this will take you to ALL of the Script Mods for GTA IV, mostly .asi files that make fun additions to the game. As said earlier, put them where I told you or just follow the instructions contained in the archive.

My personal favorites:

*Click here for the "Euphoria Mod" by Delremos. This mod allows you to attach your hands to almost any car in the game by clicking your middle mouse button near one. A lot of fun being dragged around! It is still in beta and sometimes has undesirable effects, for the most part it works fine. Cannot cling to trains, police cars, or garbage trucks. Remove the mod by simply removing the .asi file from your GTAIV folder.

*Click here for the "Ragdoll Mod" by HippieCommunist. This lets you force Niko into ragdoll, balancing using only physics, drunkenness, on-fire, and Niko's "protecting himself as he rolls" physics states at the press of a hotkey. A lot of fun if seeing people falling down stairs never gets old to you. Remove the mod by simply removing the .asi file from your GTAIV folder.

*Click here for the "Museum and Bank Robbery Mod" by HippieCommunist. This mod is very unforgiving, but it lets you rob the bank and the museum in Liberty City for a big chunk of cash whenever you're feeling brave. In order to successfully escape with the money though, you need to lose the 6-star wanted level you get after you steal it. Recommended if you want a tough-as-nails challenge for a big wad of cash. Remove the mod by simply removing the .asi files from your GTAIV folder.

*Click here for the "CharComponents" mod by HippieCommunist. This mod lets you hit various keys on the numpad to equip accessories onto Niko on the fly, such as a bulletproof vest, various duffel bags and backpacks, and even Niko's fingerless gloves that Rockstar teased us with in the loading screen but never let us have! Remove the mod by simply removing the .asi file from your GTAIV folder.

Last edited by CaptainDingo: 02-11-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:48 PM   #2
nomad4

Great guide! Thanks! I can't wait for my download to finish lol...
Old 02-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
ajrunke

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDingo View Post
Modding Grand Theft Auto IV can extend its lifetime a great deal after you've already beaten the game. Modding in GTA IV is especially fun because of things like the Euphoria physics engine allowing you to bang yourself up in hilarious ways.
Disclaimer
Not I nor the creators of these mods are responsible if you bork your installation of the game. If you have the Steam version, one comfort is being able to reverse most mod changes by running a "Verify Integrity of Game Files" on GTA IV. I'll also include instructions on how to remove most of the mods I've linked to.

Making Your GTA IV Mod-able

99% of the mods you'll probably enjoy using are small .asi scripts that need to be loaded into the game via something called an ASI loader.

An ASI loader is typically a .dll file that you place into your GTA IV folder (\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\grand theft auto iv\GTAIV) and will run all by itself once you start the game. It does not replace any files, so removing your .asi mods is as simple as either removing all the .asi files or removing the ASI loader so the .asi files can no longer be loaded. You place the .asi script files inside the same folder. The ASI loader will load all the .asi files it finds automatically.

Here you'll find the ASI loader I use. Download it, put it in your folder, and I'll start listing off mods I like!

*Click here to go to the mod site I use; this will take you to ALL of the Script Mods for GTA IV, mostly .asi files that make fun additions to the game. As said earlier, put them where I told you or just follow the instructions contained in the archive.

My personal favorites:

*Click here for the "Euphoria Mod" by Delremos. This mod allows you to attach your hands to almost any car in the game by clicking your middle mouse button near one. A lot of fun being dragged around! It is still in beta and sometimes has undesirable effects, for the most part it works fine. Cannot cling to trains, police cars, or garbage trucks. Remove the mod by simply removing the .asi file from your GTAIV folder.

*Click here for the "Ragdoll Mod" by HippieCommunist. This lets you force Niko into ragdoll, balancing using only physics, drunkenness, on-fire, and Niko's "protecting himself as he rolls" physics states at the press of a hotkey. A lot of fun if seeing people falling down stairs never gets old to you. Remove the mod by simply removing the .asi file from your GTAIV folder.

*Click here for the "Museum and Bank Robbery Mod" by HippieCommunist. This mod is very unforgiving, but it lets you rob the bank and the museum in Liberty City for a big chunk of cash whenever you're feeling brave. In order to successfully escape with the money though, you need to lose the 6-star wanted level you get after you steal it. Recommended if you want a tough-as-nails challenge for a big wad of cash. Remove the mod by simply removing the .asi files from your GTAIV folder.

*Click here for the "CharComponents" mod by HippieCommunist. This mod lets you hit various keys on the numpad to equip accessories onto Niko on the fly, such as a bulletproof vest, various duffel bags and backpacks, and even Niko's fingerless gloves that Rockstar teased us with in the loading screen but never let us have! Remove the mod by simply removing the .asi file from your GTAIV folder.
I know you don't receive money in MP, but can you use the bank robbery mod in it? I think it would be fun to rob a bank w a couple friends...Also, one of my favorite mods is the Xenon Headlights. I prefer the ultra blue violet, because it's less of an intense blue. It also gives the taillights a nice glow.
ajrunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
CaptainDingo

I haven't tested any of these mods for MP compatibility. You can try it out if you want, but it probably won't work.

By the way, for anyone interested, I'm making a very simple modification to Star Junction that is really only for my own personal use, but if someone else wants it, let me know.

I was looking at pictures of Times Square (what Star Junction is based off of) and noticed how bustling it is with people at all hours of the day. Unfortunately, in GTA IV, Star Junction is very devoid of people by comparison.

So I've taken the liberty of increasing the density of the pedestrians in that area by almost ten times normal. Performance doesn't suffer very much from doing it, oddly. And it feels a lot more like Star Junction is an important spot now that I've increased the pedestrians. It's packed now like Times Square is.
CaptainDingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
grims

This thread is about to fall onto the second page so I thought I would give it a little bump...

First and foremost I would like to thank CaptainDingo for posting this thread. It is short, but thorough. This thread has saved me a lot of time for looking for mods. I am actually quite surprised the mod developers have the mods I was exactly looking for. It's nice to see people have similar interests in this game

Just to point out on the "loader" program. I have seen people say things like this in the past, so before it's said... The loader is a .DLL file, but it is not a virus or a trojan. It's just a common .dll; a direct x sound DLL file to be exact. All it's used for is loading the .ASI files - which are also NOT viruses. If you are worried, do some research, but I can assure you it's all safe

Secondly as CaptainDingo pointed out. It is extremley easy to install these mods. All it is, is drag and drop or copy and paste. You don't have to install any programs on your computer or use an addons for GTA. Just simply place them in your GTA 4 directory.

I have already tested a few mods and I highly recommend 2 from above as well as two others from that website.

*GTA 4 Ragdoll Effects
*GTA 4 Character Accessories
*GTA 4 Car Bomb Mod <--- Better than in-game Patrick's Bombs.

and finally my personal favourite... I had no idea anyone even made it yet. I was going to request for it.

*GTA 4 Bodyguard Mod <--- 100x better than "Dwaynes Backup"

Thanks again CaptainDingo for the links and time saved!

Last edited by grims: 02-14-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:38 PM   #6
CaptainDingo

No problem.

By the way, I found a better (in certain ways) version of the Euphoria Mod (the one that lets you hang from cars). This one seems to only latch you on if you're grabbing somewhere on the side of the cars (the backs of many cars can't be grabbed on), but Niko's hands actually match perfectly with the surface (rather than Euphoria Mod where Niko's hands float some feet away from the cars most of the time) and there are far less errant grabs. It grabs on every time.

No idea why it's rated 4/10 stars, it's really solid. Maybe because you need to install it using the .NET ScriptHook (which is a different type of mod loader altogether) and most people don't know how to install it.
CaptainDingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
xALF

Talking interested in Star Junction pedestrian mod.

Quote:
I haven't tested any of these mods for MP compatibility. You can try it out if you want, but it probably won't work.

By the way, for anyone interested, I'm making a very simple modification to Star Junction that is really only for my own personal use, but if someone else wants it, let me know.

I was looking at pictures of Times Square (what Star Junction is based off of) and noticed how bustling it is with people at all hours of the day. Unfortunately, in GTA IV, Star Junction is very devoid of people by comparison.

So I've taken the liberty of increasing the density of the pedestrians in that area by almost ten times normal. Performance doesn't suffer very much from doing it, oddly. And it feels a lot more like Star Junction is an important spot now that I've increased the pedestrians. It's packed now like Times Square is.

if you dont mind, could you show me how you went ahead and added more people to star junction? thanx.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
bananajuice

sorry i am confused, I want to try to play the "Museum and Bank Robbery Mod". so downloaded the file. I looked at the .rar ans see 3 .asi files. So all i need to do is copy these files to my \Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\grand theft auto iv\GTAIV directory and start the game as normal.

what is the .asi loader and do i need it to run these mods. I already downloaded the asi installer but I rather just copy the files myself.

thanks inadvance
Old 06-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #9
The Colossus

Oh wow. I've owned GTA IV on PS3 since April 29th, 2008. It's still my favorite game of all. Unfortunately, my PS3 just broke a few days ago, and I've been dying to play GTA IV. I was avoiding the PC version because I've heard it's riddled with bugs and DRM, and because I've played every previous GTA on consoles and PC, and the controls on consoles were always superior. But I've finally given in, and my Steam version is downloading now. I'm REALLY looking forward to this now though. I love mods, and I've always wanted to be able to do bank robberies whenever, and now I will be able to!

Thanks for posting this stuff, I'm super pumped. I really love the Euphoria animations, and some of those mods could be super entertaining.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:55 PM   #10
Hwkiller

Volunteer Moderator
Woot, bankrobbery will be fun.
If it works on multiplayer, I will kiss the author's feet.

Aw fail: the euphoria mod doesn't work on the latest patch.
Neither does netkicker.

Oh well: character selector,realistic car damage, and bankrobbery are installed.

Oh boo again! Bank robbery doesn't work with the newest, nor does character selector. Only car damage works. Time will fix it, I assume.

"By wrongly correcting my use of "effect" as a verb, you have affected me by effecting negative affect, and this is an undesired effect."

Last edited by Hwkiller: 06-23-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Hwkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:07 PM   #11
The Colossus

Awww, that's too bad. Currently I just have the bodyguard mod, and it's crazy awesome. I would love to be able to rob banks though...
Old 06-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #12
Hwkiller

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colossus View Post
Awww, that's too bad. Currently I just have the bodyguard mod, and it's crazy awesome. I would love to be able to rob banks though...
I retract my statement. It's working now... randomly.

Does it have anything to do with "scripthook.dll"?

"By wrongly correcting my use of "effect" as a verb, you have affected me by effecting negative affect, and this is an undesired effect."
Hwkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:45 PM   #13
The Colossus

Oh sweet! I didn't actually try it myself, I just took your word for it, so I have absolutely no idea what the problem was. I did download the scripthook thing earlier though, so hopefully mine works.

EDIT: Does that possibly also affect the other mods you said didn't work with the most recent patch?

Last edited by The Colossus: 06-24-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:54 PM   #14
Fozruk

I seem to be having a problem, I downloaded the asi loader and some mods but none of them work at all. Any suggestions?
Old 08-25-2009, 01:18 PM   #15
Lennylol

Quote:

For the love of all that is holy, please deliver.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series