Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > F.E.A.R. series

Old 02-12-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
ModernAutomatic

F.E.A.R. 2. What an insult this game is to our intellegence.

I loved FEAR1, and story/graphics/gameplay wise, I'm digging this one. There were a few things the developers neglected to add however, that are pretty standard in any modern PC game, particularly of the FPS variety.

1: No Anticheat or dedicated servers for multiplayer.

2: Not able to bind mouse 4 and mouse 5.

3: 16:9 aspect ratio, but where the hell is 16:10?!?

4: No save feature, no quicksave, only auto save feature. Pretty much, only 1 save slot - period.

5: Glowing enemies? Seriously, slow motion wasn't enough?

6: Amateur shadow work. Dropped the ball there, badly.

7: Glass breaks in a LESS realistic way than Fear 1 (EXTREMELY noticeable in slow-mo)

8: No real time reflections (if there are, there were not on any of the puddles or anything I inspected)

9: Camera clips through your own player's shoulders very frequently, melee animations are not as good as Fear 1.

10: Despite being advertised as "Games for Windows Live" it does not have any 360 controller support, that is actually part of the live certification, and expected to be supported.

11: Only select objects have physics applied. A majority of the world is fixed in place, unlike FEAR 1 where virtually everything was interact-able.

12: I would say it has bad hit detection, but rather I ask "What hit detection?"

13: Enemy AI seems more predictable and easier to deal with. Sometimes flipping potted plants over for "cover" completely breaking immersion and reminding you that they are just dumb AI.

14: In addition to AI taking cover behind things that are far too small to take cover behind, they are just stupid in general as well. Watch this video of a heavy trooper vs a player 1v1 for a great example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X0G4ldY6go
Also notice how his laser aiming tool points the same direction at all times, regardless of the angle and movement of the gun.

15: Some copies have "Enhanced for 64 bit" on the back of the box, yet there is no 64 bit support.

16: Some copies have "Enhanced for Direct X 10" on the back of the box, but there is no Direct X 10, nor do they plan to add it. False advertising abound!

1A: Unrelated directly to the game, Monolith's tech support number connects you to a travel agency.

2A: On the same note, don't expect help in their official forums, as any bug report or other post that could be seen to make one's view on the game appear negative have been highly moderated to the point of extinction.

Not that FEAR2 is a bad game, but it's definitely going in the wrong direction when you compare it to the first game.

EDIT: After beating it, actually - FEAR 2 IS A BAD GAME.

If you guys continue to make games like this, don't even bother with FEAR3. I don't even want to imagine what that will be like, and how much it will cost.

The AI is a huge letdown, since that was one thing that was supposed to be "Unrivaled" and "Like nothing we've seen before". Frankly, the AI in halflife 1 was better than the AI in fear 2.

FINAL SCORE 4.5/10

Compared to FEAR1, which at time of release I'd rate 8.5/10
By today's standards I'd still rate FEAR1 a 6.5/10. (which I played FEAR1 a week before FEAR2's release)

Last edited by ModernAutomatic: 03-01-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
MrMudd

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernAutomatic View Post
I loved FEAR1, and story/graphics/gameplay wise, I'm digging this one. There were a few things the developers neglected to add however, that are pretty standard in any modern PC game, particularly of the FPS variety.

1: No Anticheat or dedicated servers for multiplayer.

2: Not able to bind mouse 4 and mouse 5.

3: 16:9 resolution, but where the hell is 16:10?!?

4: No save feature, no auto save feature. Pretty much, only 1 save slot - period.

5: Glowing enemies? Seriously, slow motion wasn't enough?

Not that FEAR2 is a bad game, but it's definitely going in the wrong direction when you compare it to the first game.

If you guys continue to make games like this, don't even bother with FEAR3. I don't even want to imagine what that will be like, and how much it will cost.
+ lack of dynamic shadows http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLert...e=channel_page
MrMudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
ModernAutomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMudd View Post
wow, I didn't notice that at first, but now I won't even be able to play this game without that bugging me every 2 seconds
ModernAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
MrMudd

Banned
Quote:
wow, I didn't notice that at first, but now I won't even be able to play this game without that bugging me every 2 seconds
yeah it sucks epicly some light do cast shadows but most
don't all enemys are without shadows
Old 02-12-2009, 05:53 PM   #5
MrMudd

Banned
Quote:
also check this one out
Old 02-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #6
MrMudd

Banned
opps sorry I forgot the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNg3H...e=channel_page
Old 02-12-2009, 06:07 PM   #7
JamieKirby1981

my god, you guys complain alot don't ya?
JamieKirby1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
MrMudd

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieKirby1981 View Post
For 56$ I can complain all day long
Old 02-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #9
ModernAutomatic

Quote:
Well, honestly I try to avoid complaining, but those are some pretty lacking issues that just make me ask what the #$%@, are they serious?
ModernAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:24 PM   #10
Zombywoof83

Banned
Quote:
Never been to a forum before?
Zombywoof83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:51 PM   #11
Teriander

Quote:
Dude, its 2009, not 1999. We would expect a FPS game with today's graphics to at least have detailed shadows, full widescreen support, and a ton of other features that should be considered standard today.

When I play my games that are 5 years old and the shadows look better, that says a lot.
Teriander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #12
n0t4u2kn0w

Banned
Quote:
You can add that there's no support for controllers like the XBox 360 controller.

From what I gather all these points are common for console games. So like too many games these days, FEAR 2 was written for consoles first, then poorly ported to the PC second.

The gaming companies continue to shaft us PC gamers by handing us this console port garbage.

Quote:
You'd complain too if you paid $50 for this crap.
n0t4u2kn0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:05 PM   #13
danbomb

I have not played much but I think the game is fine so far. I expected a single player game similar to FEAR and that is exactly what it is. I did try and join a server with no luck so I guess there is a gripe there but overall I would say the game is great.

I changed my res to 1280x960 for a slight stretch and to be honest the black bars are not a big deal. It is clear from the HUD this game is designed with widescreen in mind so those of us waiting for our huge 4x3's to take a dump should STFU. Soon we will all be widescreen so it will be better in the long run.

I'm getting solid framerates with an old machine and a 8800GTX. Crysis brings my system to it's knees so to me this is FANTASTIC!
Old 02-12-2009, 07:17 PM   #14
Pikaskarm

Banned
im impressed by the super-hi res textures
Pikaskarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:32 PM   #15
Dion

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0t4u2kn0w View Post

The gaming companies continue to shaft us PC gamers by handing us this console port garbage.

You'd complain too if you paid $50 for this crap.
there is no proof its a console port so you need to calm down. And if it is a Console port its a great one and looks amazing on PC. And for the 16:10 support. Don't blame monolith for dumb lcd designers deciding to put out 16:10 monitors instead of the correct widescreen standard of 16:9. And besides 16:9 is a better aspect for gaming anyways.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > F.E.A.R. series