Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 02-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
vega666

Slow download speed.

Early this morning I purchased Warhammer 40K Dawn of War 2 at the Steam online store. During the purchase process I was told the download should take around 44 minutes @ ~1000KB/s, and my internet connection is a 16Mbit adsl line (Good for, and tested to 1700KB/s). And as such I expected to get AT LEAST 1MB/s, since that was the example during the purchasing process. However, when the download had just started I was at around 700KB/s, which is decent enough not to complain about, but after less than 1 [one] minute the download-speed plummeted, and it continued to slow down until it was down to between 30 and 70 KB/s. Now it's 7 hours later, and the download is only at 64%. I could have got on a plane from norway to england, bought the game there and then been back in my chair, and I'd have gotten through the first couple of missions in the game by this time. And it's STILL at LEAST 5-6 hours left of the download!
Considering the fact that the download cost exactly as much as the in-store retail price, I'd expect to get at least what the steam client told me I'd get, but the reality is that I'm getting less than 1/20'th of that. I had exactly the same issue when I purchased Counter Stike Source. Well, a few weeks ago I downloaded City Of Heroes from the CoH Updater (which is NOT a dedicated download client like Steam is) and I had 1.2MB/s throughout the download. Now, Steam is a DEDICATED DOWNLOAD SERVICE, and as such it should have much better download capabilities than a standard game-patcher.

Valve/steam has NO printing, handling OR shipping costs with their digital download sales, and still the game costs AS MUCH as the retail boxed version. This in itself is not a problem. IF the download service is adequate, but it isn't. It's APPALLING how slow the downloads from the steam client is, and considering that the client tells us we should have around 1MB/s, it is CLEAR that Steam/valve is INTENTIONALLY CHEATING its actual paying customers.
When giving THIS EXTREMELY POOR service to the people who PAY them money, is it then strange that people start pirating their software? No, it's not.

I know that there's nothing to be done with this at this point, and that the people reading this has no power, since steam/valve employees don't read these forums, but I thought I'd post this as a warning to other people considering to purchase Steam/Valve software. DON'T. If people keep supporting these fraudulent companies THEY'LL NEVER GET BETTER. Stop giving money to people who intentionally CHEAT you in order to get your money! (I will also post this on every game-site I can find.)

Old 02-20-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
FulValBot (ITA)

same problem today atleast with race 07 on my steam.
FulValBot (ITA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
Mystman|666

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/

The download servers are extremely busy today. (empire total war demo?)

Normally Steam should max out your connection but today just isn't a good day.

(I've downloaded over 40 games from them, and today was the first time that I've had to settle for 40 kb/s, 1/20th of my max speed -_-)
Mystman|666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
Data_X

Same with me here. Maybe they should think about adding a few more servers.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
AciD

Volunteer Moderator
Click on View individual server statistics and you will see that they are on about 50% loaded.
AciD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #6
vega666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystman|666 View Post
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/

The download servers are extremely busy today. (empire total war demo?)

Normally Steam should max out your connection but today just isn't a good day.

(I've downloaded over 40 games from them, and today was the first time that I've had to settle for 40 kb/s, 1/20th of my max speed -_-)
I've downloaded 2, with months in between, and both times I've had less than 50KB/s during the entire download. If it is a case of overloaded servers, then they still have a problem. And since there're no official word on slow download-speeds I expect that these speeds ( <100KB/s ) are nothing more than buisness as usual.

Considering the cost of printing, handling, packaging and shipping, and the fact that the digital download products cost EXACTLY AS MUCH as the boxed retail products, all the money saved from digital download purchases should go towards their server-farms and online services. But since this company is not in the buisness of pleasing their customers, but instead in the buisness of getting paid, all money saved on digital downloads is probably going towards filling the CEO's pockets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AciD View Post
Click on View individual server statistics and you will see that they are on about 50% loaded.
Then there shouldn't be a problem. (BTW: Where can I find this link/button? EDIT: nevermind this, I found it in the link a couple of posts up...)
Old 02-21-2009, 01:33 AM   #7
michael89

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data_X View Post
Same with me here. Maybe they should think about adding a few more servers.
Far as i know, they add more servers quite often.

You have probably noticed, that friends is sometimes down because of maintenance ~ they add more servers.

IT seems though, that traffic grows faster, than Valve can add new servers.
michael89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
KillerSteel

Traffic grows LARGER and more DEMANDING, far more quickly than Valve can add new servers, you mean. Now, the slow download speed are being caused by the Champions Online Free Trial thing through Steam.

Give it time, because once I had an amazing continuous download of 1 MB/S (might not be that amazing, but it sure as hell shocked me D.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:21 PM   #9
Dunbarose

I think that if you watch, you'll find that Steam often has titles on sale for a deeply discounted price. I don't buy anything at regular price on Steam anymore, because I know if I wait long enough I can get it for anywhere from 50 - 80 percent off. That's much cheaper than in the store. I don't NORMALLY have huge issues downloading from Steam but it happens from time to time. In my opinion it's worth it for the discounted prices that I pay for the games.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #10
Sbeeezyy_

its almost 4 days since i havent turn off my computer because of warhammer chaos rising updating, i left my computer on last night to update my warhammer then i woke up this morning its been 20% done and leave for like a half an hour my update % is 0% -,- now liek RIGHT NOW its only 3% which is sh*t
Old 05-11-2010, 02:26 PM   #11
GoDLiKe.dll

Banned
They are always slow to me. I got 100MB/sec internet running through a 1000MB/sec cable. I get ~200-300 KB/sec.
GoDLiKe.dll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #12
shadowcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDLiKe.dll View Post
They are always slow to me. I got 100MB/sec internet running through a 1000MB/sec cable. I get ~200-300 KB/sec.
Same here, I'm in the Netherlands.
It seems to help to change the Location setting in the Downloads option tab. Currently downloading with 1 MB/s.
shadowcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:40 AM   #13
Filter2

Banned
The excuse (and defense) for steam is usually that "the steam servers are busy," and my answer is always 'GET MORE SERVERS!' I agree with you; if someone (like yourself) purchases a game and the download is going to take several hours, you'd be better off buying it at the store than waiting that long to play it. I love steam, but they need to quit using the excuse "the servers are too busy." If they are busy, then buy more servers so your customers can have an enjoyable experience with your client!!!

Try changing your download speed by going to Steam > Settings > Downloads and changing the speed of your connection to DSL/Cable > 2M. You can also try changing your download location to somewhere like Taiwan where there isn't as much traffic with the steam network.

Last edited by Filter2: 05-29-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Filter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:16 AM   #14
source144

ok i have the same problem here too, i live in israel.
i have 15MB internet speed, i download ~2MB/s for all downloads (not from israel, eg. UK/FRANCE/GERMAN SERVERS) but on steam i download only 300-600kb/s for each of these servers and only 200 on israel's steam server..

i think you need to upgrade becuase of this poor downloading speed all your customers have.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:30 AM   #15
source144

eh, never mind i now got 1.5MB/s on isreali server =) hope it'll stay like this

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips