Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam Community Discussion

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 02-23-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
hatchetman

Angry Can't add friend

Hi,
I'm trying to add a friend, but it doesnt work. I filled out the form below:

Quote:
What's the user name of the account you're using when you noticed the problem? A link to your SteamID page is fine.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/hatchetman

Quote:
What's the user name of the friend or friends involved in the problem, if any? Linking to their Steam page is fine.
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197960407882

Quote:
Did you try the action once? More than once?
Multiple times.
  1. First the guy was in my friend list under 'Invitations'. Since I suspected that something wasn't working, I removed the friend and added him again through his profile page. I got the error message '<steamname> is ignoring you'.
  2. I tried adding the friend through his community profile page again today and got the message '[unknown] is ignoring you'.
  3. If I try adding the friend through the steam client (searching on his emailadress) I get the error message 'There was a problem adding <emailadress> to your friends list.'.

Quote:
At what time of day (and in what time zone) did you try the action, on what date?
Februari 23rd, 19:00 GMT+1.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
PlexusDeath

I have pretty much the same problem as this.

I am unable to add a friend of mine to my friends list.

My profile:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197960279731

Friends profile:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969707711

I am in the GMT timezone and tried adding him as a friend over the weekend of 21st/22nd but he didn't recieve the
invitation. Later, i think it was on the 24th Feb, probably between 6-8pm, i deleted that invite and tried using
the community page.

It didn't seem to be doing anything so i retried it a few times and ended up getting the
following message - "[unknown] is ignoring you"

Now trying to add him directly through Friends results in
this message - "There was a problem adding *username* to your friends list".

Any help would be much appreciated!
PlexusDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
bananaboy2

I am having the same problem. My friend added me, but I can't add him back. He stays on the invitation list. It says he is already on my friend list, but I don't want him on the invitation thing.

bananaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
DoubleFelix

I'm having this same problem with a friend, "kognito". My account is "DoubleFelix".

This happened about 5 minutes ago. I'm unsure as to the timing of who added whom first, but I added him, and when he failed to accept, I tried removing him and adding him again. On that second try and all subsequent tries, I recieve the error message "There was a problem adding kognito to your friends list."
He is now getting the error message "[unknown] is ignoring you", as well.

Is there any way to manage your ignores? Perhaps if I can remove him from the ignore list, it would work?

EDIT: Now I recieve the error "There was a problem adding [unknown] to your friends list."

Last edited by DoubleFelix: 05-07-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
Alidar

Edit: The problem seems to have been resolved, though I'm not quite sure how.

Last edited by Alidar: 05-09-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Alidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
Uber Lieutenant

I just hit the same issue, except I never removed my friend. The pop-up came up that I had one invitation, and for some reason it disappeared before I could click it. Now when he tries to add me, he gets the "user is ignoring you" error.

My SteamID: cogswellgameclub
His SteamID: Walfred
Uber Lieutenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:52 PM   #7
Mac(10)Man

I'm having somewhat the same issue. It's been 3 weeks now and I'm still having a problem. Posted here, and also posted a steam question ticket. Steams response was very unhelpful.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...d.php?t=876215
Old 06-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #8
fakelamaah

i have the same problem, i deleted a friend just to abuse with him, then after few days i tried to add him.. i did everything, but i think that when you delete some1 from your steam friends you cant add him again :\ tahts f***ed up :\
Old 06-10-2009, 03:13 AM   #9
Gromit

Banned
im getting this problem too... a friend of mine recently got steam and i have added him 3 times already... and hes saying he hasnt got the invite, he also says he has tried adding me but i have no invited from him... also you can become friends with somebody you have deleted because i removed somebody from my list and the next day he re added me and hes back on my list now and i can speak to him. also this "x is ignoring you" bug disapeared for me after a day
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
nojohnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchetman View Post
  1. First the guy was in my friend list under 'Invitations'. Since I suspected that something wasn't working, I removed the friend and added him again through his profile page. I got the error message '<steamname> is ignoring you'.
  2. I tried adding the friend through his community profile page again today and got the message '[unknown] is ignoring you'.
  3. If I try adding the friend through the steam client (searching on his emailadress) I get the error message 'There was a problem adding <emailadress> to your friends list.'.
I had this exact same problem:
Having trouble adding friends after manual deletion
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...d.php?t=850287
nojohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:42 PM   #11
Uber-SpyCrab

Banned
exact same prob. if anyone has resolved this could you share the secret please,

cheers
Uber-SpyCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:58 PM   #12
Gogetenkz

I am having the same exact problem the OP is posting.

This is really annoying, as I can't add friends, or even join a friend's game through their Steam Community page.

I've already tried on two different computers, an XP and a Vista machine, with no luck.

Please, fix it, or give a solution!
Gogetenkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:04 PM   #13
TriNitro

Have to bump this old thread.

I've got this problem also. From the beginning I just had the friend I tried to ad under "invitations" but he didnt get anything. So I removed it and tried again and now I just get "There was a problem adding <name> to your friends list."

Isnt there any solution to this problem? Since I wanna play CoD MW2 with my friends this is a huge deal because we cant find eachother for publicservers any other way thanks to the crappy way they removed dedicated servers.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:16 AM   #14
Limeyth

Im having the exact problem :c
Limeyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:51 AM   #15
Big O

I'm having a similar problem. The last 7 friends I've added stay in my invitations list, they all said they've accepted my friend request, and I saw the popup/ok message that says they've accepted.
Big O is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam Community Discussion