Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 03-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
Not Sushi Fish

login takes forever - slow download speed

Is there something wrong with steam's servers or something because today it's taking forever to log in to steam and when it actually does, the updates are taking forever.

It's only started happening today for me so no, it's nothing to do with firewall, Anti virus or computer specs.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #2
Sir Kane

I'm having exactly the same problem since today. Launching games also takes forever. Tried removing ClientRegistry.blob, it took forever to "update" Steam after that and it didn't help at all. After that I reinstalled Steam and still getting the same issue.
Sir Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
NiTu

yeah i got the same problem, wont even log on now. slow login, slow update and steam is slow to startup games wtf?
Old 03-14-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
sen`

Well my login speed is fine but im not satisfied with the download speed. This is ridiculous. I have a 30Mbit Connection and im creeping around with 0Kb/s - 200KB/s @ completely unstable speeds regardless of the Download Location in the Settings!
This is definetly a SteamServer problem!
sen` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
Mangr0v3

same. installing steam clean took 45 mins, and redownloading clientregistry.blob took another 45 mins.
Mangr0v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:51 PM   #6
moonkin

same thing here. it started 1 or 2 weeks ago when a patch was released and neighter a reinstall nor an update solved the problem. it runs for a second then freezes for 30 seconds and it does that over and over again.

i dont know what they did with that patch but it pretty much killed my steam.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #7
Glottis

I'm having the same exact problem just like OP. What's going on?
Glottis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:58 PM   #8
Daikoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen` View Post
Well my login speed is fine but im not satisfied with the download speed. This is ridiculous. I have a 30Mbit Connection and im creeping around with 0Kb/s - 200KB/s @ completely unstable speeds regardless of the Download Location in the Settings!
This is definetly a SteamServer problem!
The low-quality download speed have always been like this and will probably always stay this way.

I've got a 20Mbit connection, but Steam has never been able to fully use it. 20Mbit is apr. 2,5Mb a sec, which is around 9Gb for an hour. I can download 1Gb in 8-15 minutes, but downloading a 1Gb game from Steam will takes 3+ hours...
Daikoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:33 AM   #9
Frigid_X

have the same problem I cant even play left 4 dead or TF2 unless i wait like 27 min 37 secs (yup i used a timer) god what is happening to STEAM its becoming more and more....

CRAPPY
Old 03-20-2009, 11:57 AM   #10
Frigid_X

strange thing happened

I was so frustrated to steam i tried this method again the 3RD TIME

Quote:
Try deleting all files from you Steam installation folder except Steam.exe and SteamApps folder.
Note: If you want to keep your favorite servers list make a backup copy of file serverbrowser.vdf located in C:\Program Files\Steam\config.
(I assume you got Steam installed in C:\Program Files\Steam)
but this 3rd time was different i was searching the forums and found a link to this https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...9828-SFLZ-9289

so i go to my NOD32 and tweak a setting that disables the scan on a certain folder which is my steam folder and it worked

I hope this works on you guys

but its really strange i have NOD32 for 3 years and steam wasnt affected at all until the latest patch to steam but why did it take effect for me on March 17 this the day after I downloaded and played the Last Remnant demo game so on march 17 I started steam and i was like waiting forever and then it logged in but the steam menu was frozen and windows says its not responding so as any long steam user do is delete the clientblob file and restart steam but it doesnt work then i found the method mentioned above with no luck so i just restarted my comp and just used Firefox kinda forgot that i made steam to start on startup so after a few flashes from chan steam connected and not responding again i left it this way for a few mintues and its working fine again then i started TF2 and it says the game is unavailable at the moment then i tried everygame some came out with the same "this game is unavailable" some where able to run but i have to wait a REALLY long time for it to start so i thought maybe i have to delete steamapps maybe because the files where too old and tried the method again which ended with the same results slow logon and freezing and 3 hours too load everything from my disks to my hard drive so on this very night i was missing the zombies from left 4 dead and was angry at steam for wasting my time just trying to logon i tried searching the forums again and this thread pop-uped http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...d.php?t=826679 well of course it didnt work for him so i look into the list and NOD32 was listed so i immedietly tweak the settings and it worked no slow logons no slow game startup no freezing

so what is happening to steam? is it like XBOX360 just waiting to get RROD or is some kind of error? the strangest thing is its happening to random people

with this my stress is released thanks for reading until this point lol
Old 03-27-2009, 04:48 PM   #11
Swiftstrike

Exact same issue. Login takes awhile. Steam is constantly locking up for a few seconds. Download rate is only about 40kb/s. I used to get 400kb/s.
Swiftstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:57 PM   #12
XxGothicNightxX

Happening to me still. This is not amusing 50kb/s for a ZPS update?! I'm not a happy man
Old 10-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #13
anonymous6366

same problem here i thought it was my internet being crappy but after reading this i guess it is steams fault. steam has always been broken and always will be..
anonymous6366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:18 PM   #14
Easton Dark

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous6366 View Post
same problem here i thought it was my internet being crappy but after reading this i guess it is steams fault. steam has always been broken and always will be..
Works fine for me.
Easton Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:30 AM   #15
ST0MPA

PLEASE FIX THE FOR EVER LOGON WITH STEAM, IT IS FRUSTRATING AND UNACCEPTABLE.

Last edited by ST0MPA: 05-11-2011 at 03:41 AM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips