Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
jjjon123

Transfer games from accounts

My dad has an old account with a whole bunch of old games (half-life 1 etc..) and i have a account with far cry 1 and HL2 DM

Well, my dad has some extra games, HL2 & HL2:EP1 and he only wants to transfer it to HIS old account, but it wont let him! it gets a "give this game to another person" message... is there any way to transfer the games on his old account to my new one? or make his old account accept the HL2 and HL2:EP1 ? thx!
Old 04-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
DoubleD

Volunteer Moderator
If a game has been register to a Steam account then there are limits/restrictions on what can be transferred. Best to contact support for further help.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
chopstix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjon123 View Post
My dad has an old account with a whole bunch of old games (half-life 1 etc..) and i have a account with far cry 1 and HL2 DM

Well, my dad has some extra games, HL2 & HL2:EP1 and he only wants to transfer it to HIS old account, but it wont let him! it gets a "give this game to another person" message... is there any way to transfer the games on his old account to my new one? or make his old account accept the HL2 and HL2:EP1 ? thx!
There isn't. Believe me, I have tried over a dozen times, and Steam support refuses to help. I even had a game sent to a wrong account and got no help in retrieving it.

Sadly, once on an account, always on an account.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:48 PM   #4
soot

Banned
Hopefully in the future, but not right now.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:52 PM   #5
relaxeder

I wish there was.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:27 PM   #6
mikeym9

Banned
People would just transfer there VAC-BANNED CSs'es to a non-vac banned account lmao
Old 04-20-2009, 06:38 PM   #7
Zorlac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym9 View Post
People would just transfer there VAC-BANNED CSs'es to a non-vac banned account lmao

They could easily just limit it to non vac banned accounts.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #8
persechini

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym9 View Post
If they create a new account and buy the game again they would be able to play again anyway

the point is, if you bought the game, you want to do whatever you want with it, including transfering a license (since we have no physical media). It would be an analogy to giving a game disc to a friend. you are not copying, while he has the disc, you cant use it, so I think we should be ablo to gift our already played games to other accounts

more than that, I would only be against selling games to other accounts, even if the currency were steam giftcards, because that would be like selling a game inside someone else's store, and I think thats wrong, if not illegal
Old 06-18-2009, 08:36 AM   #9
E71

Angry I encourage a petition or no hesitation to e-mail your disappointment to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by persechini View Post
the point is, if you bought the game, you want to do whatever you want with it, including transfering a license (since we have no physical media). It would be an analogy to giving a game disc to a friend.
That's the main reason I've stopped purchasing new games via STEAM, I always buy the retail discs now. The games don't get tied down to any accounts and you can even sell them on eBay once you've finished playing them.

STEAM is very restrictive and their support staff can't/won't do anything helpful. What you see in the Knowledge Base is what you get. Support won't do anything but regurgitate KB content or just plain ignore your requests.

Is it too much to ask to be able to change my friggin' user name? I think it's a bit lame that just because I'm an early adopter of STEAM I had to use my (VERY OLD, INACTIVE, LONG) e-mail address as my user name...

What STEAM management does is treat its users like this is a FREE service despite the fact that we PAY for the games we acquire through STEAM.

We therefore expect some more rights, you hear us, STEAM management? *shakes fist*
Old 02-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #10
LightOfDarkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by E71 View Post
That's the main reason I've stopped purchasing new games via STEAM, I always buy the retail discs now. The games don't get tied down to any accounts and you can even sell them on eBay once you've finished playing them.

STEAM is very restrictive and their support staff can't/won't do anything helpful. What you see in the Knowledge Base is what you get. Support won't do anything but regurgitate KB content or just plain ignore your requests.

Is it too much to ask to be able to change my friggin' user name? I think it's a bit lame that just because I'm an early adopter of STEAM I had to use my (VERY OLD, INACTIVE, LONG) e-mail address as my user name...

What STEAM management does is treat its users like this is a FREE service despite the fact that we PAY for the games we acquire through STEAM.

We therefore expect some more rights, you hear us, STEAM management? *shakes fist*
actually, if you buy games that have to be registered in steam to be played, then it's still tied to your account. the disc is merely a faster means of installing the game, you can still download the game from steam once you enter the CD-key
Old 02-20-2010, 04:48 PM   #11
DARK_ANDY

If you didn't have Steam, you'd most likely have to put in every specific game CD/DVD you currently want to play, and switch the CD/DVD every time you want to play a different game.

So in essence, if taking out and putting in new CDs to play different games don't bother you, then you can simply log out of YOUR account, and log into HIS account on the same PC whenever you want to play the games HE has on his account.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #12
go-NAVY

Quote:
Originally Posted by E71 View Post

You can sell it, but if you registered it with Steam so you could play it on Steam, the next guy won't be able to, since it is already registered to your account. If he tries to register it with Steam it will tell him the key is registered to another account, and he will only be able to install and play it outside of Steam. If it is a game like Half Life, and the ONLY way to play online is through Steam they will be SOL.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #13
Dredlock

I'm in the same Steam boat as others that want to move a few games from one ID to another.

I signed up with steam when HL2 just came out. I use to buy CDs for games. As the years rolled by I found having one steam account to be a pain. I have four computers and someone whats to play a game on cpu2 but I am on steam on CPU1. If they log in under my account Steam kicks me out of my game without asking. Its like the guy who logs on has the power to kick.

Anyway I now have four steam accounts one for each PC. There are like 10 games that I do not play but others do. They are all under my cpu1 steam account. It would be great to be able to transfer them to a different account.

There is no problem sending a purchased game as a gift. All that would be required is me to send one of my games as a gift to another account. It would have to be send and also redeemed just as with any steam gift.

The only workaround is buy using Steam in OFFLINE mode on the other PC.
But there is a problem with that too.
If i'm playing a Steam game and someone wants to play one of my other games on a different cpu they have to first LOG on to Steam in order to log off. Makes no sense, why not have that option before you log onto steam?
An easy but clumsy way around this is just to unplug the network cable. Only then will it give the option of playing offline without logging on to steam.

Steam = We like to control you, make you jump through hoops.

Just make is so OFFLINE mode is an option BEFORE you log on.
or make it so logging on with the same account does not auto kick the person playing.

The good part of Steam is the super sales on multipacks of games.

I suppose it is possible to sell your steam games. You would just have to sell your account with all the games in a bundle.
They would get your password, email etc.
The name and email can be changed.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #14
Nekomancer

And for that you necro in a thread that's 9 months old?

And the answer is no. You can't transfer games.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:45 AM   #15
Buszmen33

Can i transfer non-vac games?

Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips