Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Max Payne series > Max Payne 1 and 2

Old 04-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
DarkjeThe2nd

-Ultimate Max Payne(1) Vista/Win7 Sound Fix-

Hi,

I'm the author of the -Max Payne(1) Vista Sound Fix-, posted in the 3drealms forums years ago when vista was released and the Max Payne(1) sound issue first surfaced. The main issue is that if you install Max Payne (1) on Vista or Windows7/8 you will probably notice that most music, intro sound, cut-scene talks and many of the original in game sounds are missing. The fix attempted to fix that, by converting the original sounds to a format that does play right in Vista/Windows7, but the original fix had some flaws.

So, I picked up development of the fix again after a long period of silence, with the goal to make it work for everyone, including Steam and Windows7/8 users and others.

Main download: (updated 04-Apr-2012, Release 1.12)
Max Payne Soundpatch v1.12

alternate1:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/r94w7x

alternate2:
http://www.filedropper.com/maxpaynesoundpatchv112

Instructions:
After you installed the game and downloaded the fix, basically all you have to do is:
  • Extract the fix to your game directory.
  • Click the fix's main file: MaxBatch.
  • Use the ([C] - Convert game.) option and wait a few minutes for it to finish.
  • Use the ([L] - Launch game.) option and play.
I also wrote a simple step-by-step guide for installing the patch on the steam game if the above is not enough help: http://www.alanwake.com/forum/showth...8480#post38480

You can read the whole post about the fix here:
http://www.alanwake.com/forum/showthread.php?p=38552

Playing Max in an other language:
I've made my collection of language files available for download, so you can play the game in your preferred language. Files and instructions on how to install at these posts:

Max Payne (1): English, French, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1101985

Max Payne (2): English, French, German, Italian, Russian and Spanish.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1108998

Mods:
There are countless mods for Max Payne, ranging from simple small modifications to funny parodies and total conversions. Installation is generally straight forward; put the mod files in your game directory, start the game as usual and select the mod you want to play from the dropdown-list in the startup screen. If the mod lacks sound, it may need conversion with the soundpatch, it's best however to first try the original mod on the converted game as most mod rely on the game's inbuild sounds. If they include their own sounds most of them are proper format anyway. If you do need to try converting a mod, just install the mod as usual, then run maxbatch again and use the mods section of the script. The mods part is extensive and can handle multiple mods, single or batch conversions, exclusions, wildcards, keeping backups etc. and checks the conversion result to make sure it worked and didn't reduce sound quality and make matter worst, if it did the mod will be restored and auto excluded from further batch conversions.

Max Payne (1) - Mod collection: image: http://i.imgur.com/aI0I74w.jpg
In 2009 Walking Alone collected ALL mods from fileplanet, filefront, levels4you and moddb and put them together as a 400+mods pack. I used this pack to 'harden' the mod section of the soundpatch and still have it on my disks. Since the download is not available anymore, and it's no good if just I have this pack sitting on my disk, I decided to make it available for download again, it's a big 6-part 5.2GB download, but then you get all of them.

Maxpayne(1) - Max Payne Ultimate Mod Pack, 400+ Mods and total conversions:
mp mods.part1.rar (1000.0 MB)
mp mods.part2.rar (1000.0 MB)
mp mods.part3.rar (1000.0 MB)
mp mods.part4.rar (1000.0 MB)
mp mods.part5.rar (1000.0 MB)
mp mods.part6.rar (283.1 MB)

edit 17-okt-2013:
mods part6 was down, fixed the link. thanks OC Celeron for reporting it.
edit 20-july-2013:
torrent for the above files: the pirate bay . pe [without the spaces]/torrent/8716447
if you download it please seed to a descent ratio so it stays up.

changelog:
New in v1.12:
It fixes a few issues that came up:
- On the game conversion the size of the result is now checked, if conversion failed backups are restored (if only one fails, all game files are restored, so it's fresh afterwards).
- Large working and finished messages on the game conversion section, for some people missed the fact the script was still working after the first file, where three files had to be done.
- Fixes need for edit if converting cd install of languages other than english.
- Detection and removal of previously failed conversion attempts is done. ie. tmp removed and backups synced.
- If tmp is not properly emptied between conversion of files, - sometimes it happens the os reported file in use- , the script will alert and retry until the files are released.

edit 11-may-2013: files upped to mega.co.nz

Last edited by DarkjeThe2nd: 12-13-2013 at 03:13 PM. Reason: file hosting issues
Old 04-24-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
spyre

Thanks for the hard work I am sure it will be appreciated by many.
spyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
OmegaXtreme420

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyre View Post
Thanks for the hard work I am sure it will be appreciated by many.
Too true. I put max payne on this computer and was like wtf sound problems lol thanks a lot!!
OmegaXtreme420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:13 AM   #4
DarkjeThe2nd

Thanks for the kind words guys

did you try the latest version?
DarkjeThe2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
ClarkF1

v0.88 worked fantastic....haven't played the whole game with it but the previous long-winded version worked - did a complete reinstall since I used that fix hence having to use the fix again, and I'm assuming that if it works for the beginning of the game, it'll work all the way through.

Nice to hear the guys in the bank vault get what they deserve

Muchos gracias

Last edited by ClarkF1: 04-26-2009 at 06:35 PM.
ClarkF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:47 AM   #6
DarkjeThe2nd

Good to hear it worked for you! Thank you for reporting.
Yes if the first bit works, it should be fine later on also.

Have fun playing!
Darkje
Old 05-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #7
DarkjeThe2nd

Ok people, released the final 1.0 version of the conversion script...
read about it here: http://www.alanwake.com/forum/showthread.php?p=38552

download here: http://www.filedropper.com/maxpaynesoundpatch10
Old 05-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #8
skidz

Thank you DarkjeThe2nd for the hard work, my game is happy again.
skidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:59 AM   #9
MajorDano

Darkje

You have made my day. I was dismayed at the game not having the proper sounds, but now it is working properly. I played this game back in the day and it is still great(and a good deal on steam now)

Thanks
Old 05-13-2009, 06:47 AM   #10
DarkjeThe2nd

It's nice to hear I made some people happy
thank you too for taking the trouble to register and report.

Happy gaming
Old 06-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #11
cdeathkd

Can we have a link that doesn't require you to sign up to a website in order to download please?
cdeathkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:30 PM   #12
DarkjeThe2nd

you don't have to sign up at filedropper? or have you?
Old 06-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #13
sciss0rz

I've been cleaning up my old game files and I found one of your earlier vista fixes. Thank you for the new/final version.

@cdeathkd: You don't have to sign up
sciss0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:30 PM   #14
Strelok

I found that after converting the game steam started updating it... I think steam overwritten the modified files so I set it to not automatically update.

Fingers crossed it will work this time
Strelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #15
DarkjeThe2nd

mmm that should not happen, unless a new patch is available or you used steam verify game option.

if you did verify, steam will restore the game to the original state just like it should. you will have to run the patch again.

the patch will detect the restored game and synchronize the backups, after that it's just like a fresh convert.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Max Payne series > Max Payne 1 and 2