Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series > Fallout 3

Old 04-27-2009, 01:42 AM   #1
Onyx52

Installed but not installed?

OK so I've been waiting to buy fallout 3 until the GOTY or something comes out but I've got a week off work with nothing to do so I fought what the hell I'll get it now.

So I buy it / download it fine, but when I go to open it ( either through steam or dir. exe ) it comes up with the fallout 3 splash screen with: Install, Options, Data Files ( both Options and Data Files are faded out ), Tech Support and Exit.

Now whenever I click install I get a error message saying: " Fallout 3 does not appear to be installed and the installer could not be found. Try exploring to your DVD-ROM drive and selecting setup.exe to install the game. "
I've check in the install dir. it seems everything is there except the setup.exe. I've check the integrity of the game cache and deleted and re-downloaded a few time but nothing changes.

Heres my Specs: vista x64 ultimate
Intel X9650
4GB ram
280gtx

All up to date driver wise, so any help from anyone would be great thanks.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:22 AM   #2
GoldenShadow

restart steam and try again.
If it doesn't work now, right click Fallout3>properties>Local File Tab>Verify integrity of game cache..
GoldenShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:54 AM   #3
Onyx52

Unhappy

Tryed both, no luck. Thanks for your help though.

Anything else you might think of let me know please....I really want to play the game now that I have it.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:14 AM   #4
Onyx52

Talking

Whoop never mind fixed it. In case anyone else has this problem just make a backup > delete local content > reinstall from the backup ( don't download it ).
Old 04-27-2009, 11:42 AM   #5
LNG Peacefrog

must admit had the same error, so registered on the forum to post to assist (but had to wait for verification to post lol)

my issue creating that same error " Fallout 3 does not appear to be installed and the installer could not be found. Try exploring to your DVD-ROM drive and selecting setup.exe to install the game." appeared to be .net framework related... i downloaded the latest from windows update and everything worked fine following a straight reinstall

glad its working for you thou Onyx52; I'm finding it fun if tinged with the sudden realisation that i really do need a better computer hehe
Old 05-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
diablo1121

Steam fails so much.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:40 AM   #7
J_Kyle

I apologize for bumping such an old thread, but I ran into this issue trying to get Fallout 3 GotY working just the other day. None of the suggestions mentioned here worked for me, so I figured I'd add some info on how I got it to work.

I had seen another thread that suggested running as admin was supposed to fix it, but what I had to do was go hunt down the .exe files for Steam, Fallout 3, [I]and[/I ]the Fallout 3 launcher, and set all of these to run as admin -- just selecting "Run as Admin" when opening Steam from the Start Menu or whatever wasn't sufficient. Once I did this, the correct launcher screen appeared (the one with a "Play" option instead of an "Install" option that gave me the "Fallout 3 does not appear to be installed and the installer could not be found" message) and I was able to play.

For what it's worth, I'm on 64-bit Vista, and I have Steam and steamapps located on an external hard drive, not in C:\Program Files (x86)\.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:17 PM   #8
osirisbarrita

im late on this I know but its been four days tryna get it fix but it wont work
osirisbarrita is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series > Fallout 3