Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 04-30-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
mushrooshi

Steam Retail Cards?

Would retail cards, similar to iTunes credit, be good for Steam? I know that my mom does not trust using a credit card on the internet, and my dad uses it sparingly on the internet. For example, Garry's mod is only 10 dollars, and my parents would easily let me purchase it if I could buy it (or a Steam card) in a store, but my parents don't like to buy games and such online.

If Steam cards existed, it would be much easier to buy games.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:33 AM   #2
TheSomian

use paypal

but id really like to see cards for certain games, so I can import games that aren't availagle in germany
TheSomian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
Zefar

Volunteer Moderator
With paypal you can transfere money from the bank account to the paypal account by using a like 8-12 letter+digit number as a refer number.

Even thou Paypal ask for a creditcard it is not needed at all. I don't have one and my paypal works just fine.

It does thou take 3-4 days for the money to get to it. But that's the only drawback I can find.

Just get a long password for the account so no one can just guess it and you'll be safe.
Zefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
iHaxTheNaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushrooshi View Post
Would retail cards, similar to iTunes credit, be good for Steam? I know that my mom does not trust using a credit card on the internet, and my dad uses it sparingly on the internet. For example, Garry's mod is only 10 dollars, and my parents would easily let me purchase it if I could buy it (or a Steam card) in a store, but my parents don't like to buy games and such online.

If Steam cards existed, it would be much easier to buy games.
goto your local store, and buy a pre paid debit card

register the card online so you can use it on steam

buy game
iHaxTheNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
GameGuruNT

I would also love to see Steam Gift Cards also. I've considered pre-paid credit cards, but I can only find them at Gas Stations and Banks, and I've heard that Steam is finicky with them. Besides, what if I wanted to let my friend choose what they want to get on Steam... I know two of my friends on Steam keep their profile private, so I don't exactly know what games they own other than Team Fortress 2.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
Zefar

Volunteer Moderator
Well there would be a problem with these prepaid cards for Steam.

When you use it on other games, will those devs get a slice of the pie too?

Because all you do is paying Valve for that card and not the other companies.
Zefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
ShaneTim

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefar View Post

I loved this idea until that was mentioned. It would be a lot of effort for Valve to pay the other developers when a gift card has been used. Even if they did decide to implement this suggestion, it would take many, many months before we see it in action.
ShaneTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #8
mushrooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSomian View Post
use paypal

but id really like to see cards for certain games, so I can import games that aren't availagle in germany
Quote:
With paypal you can transfere money from the bank account to the paypal account by using a like 8-12 letter+digit number as a refer number.

Even thou Paypal ask for a creditcard it is not needed at all. I don't have one and my paypal works just fine.

It does thou take 3-4 days for the money to get to it. But that's the only drawback I can find.

Just get a long password for the account so no one can just guess it and you'll be safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHaxTheNaked View Post
goto your local store, and buy a pre paid debit card

register the card online so you can use it on steam

buy game
I'd prefer it with less of a middleman

Quote:

Valve I'd imagine could just pay the devs easily. After all, Valve has a 'indie friendly' image to keep up too.

If Valve would lose too much money from a system, it could be inflated, like a $12 card is worth only $10 in steam
Old 05-01-2009, 10:29 PM   #9
>X<

Banned
What is wrong with a debt card instead of a credit card. No money is in it nor can it be stolen until you put money in it. Ask your parents to get a debt card for online purchases.
>X< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:31 AM   #10
laughingcheese

this was the first thing i wanted when i first got steam cus i dont have a credit card D: steam might make more money if they did this cus kids could just go out and buy a card instead of asking thier parents to pay online which my parents dont like to do
Old 05-02-2009, 05:57 PM   #11
ngwoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushrooshi View Post
I know that my mom does not trust using a credit card on the internet
Tell her that using it on the internet is much safer than handing it to an actual human in the grocery store.
ngwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #12
flashn00b

I fear the possible consequences that would affect certain multiplayer games... [/serious tone] But, what is there to lose? It would help Valve make money.
+1 support
flashn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:36 AM   #13
runekey

Banned
I always thought they should have cards like itunes does for the sake of conveniece.

Then i could limit myself to buying Steam games with pre-paid cards only so i stop buying games with money i dont have :P
runekey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:42 AM   #14
relaxeder

Its an interesting idea but what would happen to leftover balances that are too small to be used? Unless you could roll them into a purchase with a credit card it seems a little wasteful. If its for gifts there's nothing it can do that Steam's gift feature already can't. Paypal is easy to use too.
relaxeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #15
Hidole555

Thread Resurrection because this is a freaking great idea.

Also,

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxeder View Post
Its an interesting idea but what would happen to leftover balances that are too small to be used? Unless you could roll them into a purchase with a credit card it seems a little wasteful. If its for gifts there's nothing it can do that Steam's gift feature already can't. Paypal is easy to use too.
There are tons of games on Steam that don't cost much. If you are talking about the $0.01 that will be left over after you buy a $19.99 game with a $20 card, I don't see that as much of an argument. The PS3 has retail cards and people don't seem to mind a couple pennies just hanging around in their balance.
Hidole555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas