Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Velvet Assassin

Old 05-04-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
LordSNAFU

Thumbs down Absolutely terrible

I review about 10 games a month and frankly if my site had a score that was below zero that is what this game would be getting.

The only redeeming quality is the graphics.

The controls are terrible and very restricting.

The story is the worst WWII story I have ever seen attempted in a game. It is also the most inaccurate I have ever seen.

The voices are terrible and the long conversations that you have to sit through between kills makes you want to pull your hair out.

And to say the game is linear would be the understatement of the year. They might as well have a dotted line for you to follow.

All of the above leads to a gruelingly slow game that isn't even fun. It might as well have been a movie that you watch instead of a game.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #2
Varsh

*facepalms*
The controls aren't terrible at all, just a little clunky at times but no where near as bad as some games I've played.

The story is not the worst, it is also not supposed to be accurate as the history involved in what happened is extremely brief, so this was all done based on few facts.

The voices are terrible though? Are you mad? Don't make me show you something of what's truly terrible...

Yes it's linear, but to get past soldiers you can take multiple routes so it's not all that bad, but yes I do agree it could at least be a little more open.

The game is slow because it was designed like that. If you've played Thief then you know how gruellingly slow that game is too, and they are both brilliant games.

I wonder if you even played it properly or all the way through yet.
Varsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
btc8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSNAFU View Post

The story is the worst WWII story I have ever seen attempted in a game. It is also the most inaccurate I have ever seen.
How can you verify this? It is based on true events; the rest is artistic license. It doesn't have to be real or accurate if it's based on loosely on a premise.

Quote:
The voices are terrible and the long conversations that you have to sit through between kills makes you want to pull your hair out.
I thought the woman who spoke Violette was pretty good. Also, the authentic German and French are quite superb.

Quote:
All of the above leads to a gruelingly slow game that isn't even fun. It might as well have been a movie that you watch instead of a game.
Many people feel this way who dislike stealth or 'slow' games. These games require patience, and in today's trigger-happy genres, it's no wonder people get easily frustrated when something different comes around.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:39 PM   #4
reddd

Banned
ya this game is terrible...
reddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
Farlong

If LordSNAFU is an actual gamereviewer, then he should be fired from that position. Velvet Assassin isn't that bad. Its more....mediocre. The stealth and sneaky gameplay have been done before AND done better. For those of us that have been spoiled with games SP:CT, VA seems like a bit of a "downgrade" in some areas, but its still a decent game.
There is room for improvement all around, but that condition seems to be a result of the dreaded "consolitis".

The voiceacting is good, so I don't get the complaints about that.
Some of the scripted events I have an issue with, like when enemies suddenly spawn outside a door that you just went through, but its not really that bad.

LordSNAFU, get back under your bridge.
Farlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
hilltop67

LOL...Oh well what else is there to add!!! Oh yeah..whats your web review site!!!!
hilltop67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #7
MADDOGGE

lordSNAFU suffers most likely from Run & gun-itis. It's a sad sickness effecting mostly the younger crowd of gamers. If a game which is already 10 hours shorter than it should be to begin with, can not be speed run in a hour ,it is not a good game.

He also could be suffering from "all-the-sameis". The is a sickness where every game must play just like every other game that particular person likes.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
sajuuk

You guys realise that LordSNAFU is entitled to his opinion right? He does not have to like the game if he doesnt want to. In just the same way that you dont have to hate it just because he dislikes it.

I agree it's a terrible game, but for different reasons. I'll be going back to hitman and splinter cell.
sajuuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:47 PM   #9
LupinMupin

yeah everyone is hating him for hes review, Im sure there will be more bad reviews than this.. Not everyone likes these kind of games.

Also hes not suffering from any Run & gun-itis n stuff.. He likes shoot em up more than sneaking games, always fun to try something new once in a while but, unfortunately this was not a game for him.
LupinMupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:44 AM   #10
Blackwood550

I try stealth in HL2 every now and then...

1) It scares the out of Alyx in "Low Life"
2) By the time the combine are able to react...half of the occupants in the room are dead.

I value stealth and speed. Provided you've got the tools for the job.

Personally i like a game where i can take my time to do something...and get it right on the first stab
Old 05-05-2009, 12:07 PM   #11
linfosoma

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-...sassin/17-531/

Seems that ways, it sucks. Kinda sad though.
linfosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #12
GrimCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farlong View Post
If LordSNAFU is an actual gamereviewer, then he should be fired from that position.

if he's an actual reviewer i'd like to know for what site.
going to and signing up (1 post to the account) for a public forum just to spout off claiming to be a reviewer for 10 games a month or so and only to blast the game hes in the forum is pathetic.
if its a private site then it proves the above run'n'gun and all-the-same'itis has a high risk of being suffered here.

his opinion is his own, but if truly a reviewer of anything there should be a LOT more depth to this post, of which there isn't, and better net etiquette should've been followed in general. (such as not bragging about being a reviewer of 10 games.)

nice summery of his opinions though.
GrimCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:13 AM   #13
legion7825

Quote:
Originally Posted by linfosoma View Post
http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-...sassin/17-531/

Seems that ways, it sucks. Kinda sad though.
Guys, its not as bad as the OP is saying but this review posted above is pretty close to home on this game. Its just kinda mehh...
Looks great, good voices, clunky controls,pretty linear, so so storyline. In general its mediocre, if I had the chance to do over, honestly I probably would take a pass on buying it.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:37 AM   #14
apone1024

I finished it last night ... my opinion of this game went from fairly low, to fairly decent, and back down to fairly low at the end.

I disagree with most of the OP's points though. The story was good (no, it was not intended to be historically accurate). The voice acting was quite good.

The linearity got to me after a while, mainly because it made some areas feel very contrived and artificial. I never had that feeling in Half-Life, which is equally linear but pulls it off much better.

Gameplay was average at best ... I really disliked the "click here to climb, click here to crawl, etc". Just give us full control over our movement and let the player find the path.

PS if the OP really was a game reviewer, I would find it hard to believe his forum join date (May 09), post count (1), and the fact that he didn't link to his review "site".

Last edited by apone1024: 05-06-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #15
Storm Chamber

Not terrible but SURELY not worth 50

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Velvet Assassin