Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Universe at War: Earth Assault

Old 05-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #1
BleedingLight

Post Abnormal Game Exit Detected Solution

Right, like what seems a lot of you, I've encounter problem after problem trying to get this game to work. Sure I only bought the game for a fiver, but as a matter of principle I was determined to get it to work. Here's what I did to get the game working as it might help some of you get the game going:

1) Install the game (duh) - running the game straight off would give me the "Abnormal Game Exit Detected" error. This was down to GFW not being installed due to a clean install of Windows 7.

2) Install GFW - I did this in two steps, though you might be able to cut out the first. Go into your steam folder then steamapps/common/universe at war earth assault/xliveredist and run XLiveRedist01.02.0241.00.msi. Then to be sure I installed the 2.0 redistributable from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...9-181edc57c0e0

3) Run the game - From what I've read some people got the game running after this. If you did, good for you. If you're like me and the game would load and the right before the FMV would start you'd get another "Abnormal Game Exit Detected" crash, then there's one more step to take.

4) Disable in game DX10 - From all the various forums I've read DX10 doesn't improve anything, if anything it just creates more problems. If you get get the game loaded it's easy enough to disable. If not then you'll have to disable it via Regedit. Load it up and traverse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Petroglyph/UAWEA/Profile0/Player and find the entry named "DX10Enabled" and change the value from 1 to 0.

5) Try to run the game again - After following all this the game finally loaded for me. From here you'll have to do the normal GFW steps; signing in (or signing up); downloading a GFW update followed by a game update, the usual but that should get everything working.

Hope this works for you guys who are still stuck with what at the minute is a useless purchase.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
l4yercake

Thanks for the advice, but this has to be the shoddiest POS I've downloaded on Steam. To go through this much trouble for a 2 year old $5 dollar game is pointless.

I found the DX10 entry and modified with success, the game will now load. Just trying to get GFWL to update the game to 3.0.

Last edited by l4yercake: 05-09-2009 at 09:53 AM.
l4yercake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
CasualSax

Thank you very much for the advice, worked like a charm.
CasualSax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
PointyStick

It was installing Games For Windows Live 2.0 that made it work for me. Thank you for the thread that explained it. I'm using XP, so DX10 wasn't an issue.

Also, my multiplayer CD key turned up bad, so I submitted a support ticket about it.
PointyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #5
Nick Jr.

Installing the second version of windows live worked for me. I have Vista 64 bit, and i haven't needed to adjust direct X 10. Thanks for your solution i'm so glad i got to play today.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:11 AM   #6
BleedingLight

I'm glad to hear that you guys got the game running, hopefully I'll see some of you online!
Old 05-10-2009, 02:01 AM   #7
Iain04

Completed stage 2 of you guide and now the game works fine. Thanks very much for your help.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:01 AM   #8
Drathis

The big mystery is.. why doesn't it install the GFWL automatically? And why doesn't it even say anything about it missing?
Drathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:02 AM   #9
FIRESIDE91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathis View Post
The big mystery is.. why doesn't it install the GFWL automatically? And why doesn't it even say anything about it missing?
It tries to, every time I launch the game the client service tries to install it, popping up yet another UAC prompt. I resorted to downloading the installer from the web and running it to get it to work, the Steam version of this game is so broken it's not funny. Though at least once it's working there's no issues.
FIRESIDE91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #10
crzycnuk

Quote:
2) Install GFW - I did this in two steps, though you might be able to cut out the first. Go into your steam folder then steamapps/common/universe at war earth assault/xliveredist and run XLiveRedist01.02.0241.00.msi. Then to be sure I installed the 2.0 redistributable from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...9-181edc57c0e0
Worked for me. Thanks a lot!
crzycnuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #11
defiant91

Thanks. It is working perfectly now.
defiant91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:33 PM   #12
Boylonian

This is a very good list of fixes that i highly recommend that Moderators put into a Sticky. They are extremely helpful in getting people past almost 90% of the problems that might arise from the install aside from the Serial code issue.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #13
Dr DooM

screw the sticky this needs to be fixed and PATCHED.

stupid me tempted by the 5er deal and forgetting not to ever EVER trust Steam to get it right.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #14
mgonzalez456

i tried both steps and i still cannot get the game to work, i just got a popup window thats bigger then my screen popping up thats white, then turns my whole screen black then goes back to the white popup window and then i get that stupid abnormal exit thing comming up,

Last edited by mgonzalez456: 05-10-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:17 PM   #15
misfitskater6

Thanks a bunch BleedingLight, +rep.
misfitskater6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Universe at War: Earth Assault