Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 05-18-2009, 07:45 AM   #1
braga118

PaySafeCard and Steam

Hey,

Im disappointed with Steam, i think Steam Should accept this payment method, PaySafeCard is a nice thing,no Credit Card require. Many people do not like to use the credit card on the Internet and PaySafeCard is an excelent choice,we buy the card with cash and we dont have to use the Credit Card on internet.
Soo Steam Should accept this payment method is my opinion...

Stay well,

Regards.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:39 AM   #2
eram

Volunteer Moderator
Both Pay Pal and Click N buy do not require a credit card. Both are vaild methods of payment on Steam.
eram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
inK

Quote:
Originally Posted by braga118 View Post
Hey,

Im disappointed with Steam, i think Steam Should accept this payment method, PaySafeCard is a nice thing,no Credit Card require. Many people do not like to use the credit card on the Internet and PaySafeCard is an excelent choice,we buy the card with cash and we dont have to use the Credit Card on internet.
Soo Steam Should accept this payment method is my opinion...

Stay well,

Regards.
I second that. It will be really useful for me. I will start buying steam games way more regularly. Please add them to your accepted payment methods

and eram

it's a different thing. PayPal require either a credit card or a bank account. I'm 16 and I don't have any of that. How will I be able to buy steam games? Specially when if I buy them in stores they are like 30% more expensive then directly from steam. Same thing with Clickandbuy. While with PaySafeCard I can just go to CTT store (portuguese mail system in this case) and buy it and then just redeem the code online. Way simpler and easier to use for kids and teenagers which I believe that are the main clients of steam.

Last edited by inK: 05-18-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:57 PM   #4

signed. steam + paysafecard would be really great.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
DeathRay2K

inK, you don't have a bank account at 16?! You should seriously get one, they are pretty important throughout life!
DeathRay2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:05 PM   #6
Jagged Tooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by inK View Post
I second that. It will be really useful for me. I will start buying steam games way more regularly. Please add them to your accepted payment methods

and eram

it's a different thing. PayPal require either a credit card or a bank account. I'm 16 and I don't have any of that. How will I be able to buy steam games? Specially when if I buy them in stores they are like 30% more expensive then directly from steam. Same thing with Clickandbuy. While with PaySafeCard I can just go to CTT store (portuguese mail system in this case) and buy it and then just redeem the code online. Way simpler and easier to use for kids and teenagers which I believe that are the main clients of steam.
You should probably think about getting a bank account if your 16. I know at least here (Australia) you don't get charged any bank fees as long as you are a student, so there is no down side at all.
Jagged Tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
Tthorlord

this is suspicious.
three new users make their first post to support this idea to use a strange credit feature.

i say no, no reason to add features that are already in.
Tthorlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tthorlord View Post
this is suspicious.
three new users make their first post to support this idea to use a strange credit feature.

hey Tthorlord... should i start a new thread or reply to an old one... think about it ;P
i got many paysafecard pin codes so i searched for this topic and surprisingly found it via google.

paysafecard is not a strange credit feature. many webshops accepting paysafecard.
its nothing additionally required and paysafecard is very simple to use.
more informations at:

http://www.paysafecard.com/uk/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paysafecard

regards, 156458
Old 07-15-2009, 09:03 AM   #9
mtx1855

I've discovered Steam's true potential for a few days now, and, just like braga118, I was a bit disappointed when I realized that PaySafeCard was not supported by steam.
To express my opinion, I sent a suggestion directly to Steam's Billing Support. I would like to explain why this method may be so important for some users, and the best way to to that is just transcript the e-mail I sent to Steam's Billing Support:

Quote:
I've realized that most, if not all, your payment methods require banking or credit card transactions (directly or not), and I also understand that there are still many users who, like me, don't generally like this kind of transactions in the Internet, due to possible scams some online stores may practice (I'm not refering to Steam(r), of course).
So, I'm writing this e-mail in order to suggest a new payment Method. This payment method has already started to gain European User's confidence, being now available in aprox. 24 countries, including UK, and supported by many online stores. This paying method is known as "PaySafeCard" (http://www.paysafecard.com/).
Why is this so good? Well, this payment method requires no banking or credit card transactions in the Internet. You can find all the information you might need in the link I presented before, but this payment method is very simple and consists in the following premises:
- The user just needs to go to one of the many existing PaySafeCard retailers in a country where the service is available.
- In the retailers, he/she can buy a PaySafeCard - a prepaid voucher - with a specific value.
- The retailer provides the user a PIN Number, and that PIN Number is then provided to the online store.
Its even possible to buy stuff in any worldwide store, even if the exchange coin is different. E.g. I can buy my paysafecard in Euros and then pay in Dollars (minding the exchange rate, of course).

I believe this payment method would please not only a group of people that, as refered before, are afraid of banking and credit card transactions through the Internet, but also those people who don't have a bank account or a credit card.

I would like to request that this e-mail were analised by someone that can, in fact, present this suggestion to any rulling commission responsible for implementing the payment methods.
I end up this message by saying that the site I gave you previously in this e-mail contains a list of stores which accept this payment method. Just a few examples of stores that accept this kind of payment method: amazon.co.uk, Skype, Metin2, Ogame, RapidShare, Eve Online, Travian,... and the list goes on and on...
My particular case? As I said in the e-mail, I don't like internet transactions. Plus, Portuguese Banks are now warning every costumer that some known UK Online Stores are starting to scam people, cloning Credit Cards. Some of those stores I really thought were serious, but after all...

Some people might still say: "Why have this payment method when you have paypal and other known methods?". I Say: "Why not?".

I've searched some forums for this matter, and there still many people who actually thinks having PaySafeCard as method for buying Steam Games who be very good, some even say that they would start buying even more games...
Well, I'm pending... I hope the system gets incorporated by steam. When it happens, if it happens, I'll cross the street to a PaySafeCard retailer, and then i'll buy CS Anthology, xD...

P.S. -> Oh, and I'll be posting in this forum for now on, i hope...
Regards from Portugal

Last edited by mtx1855: 07-15-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:01 AM   #10
mtx1855

I'm sorry to be double posting, But I'm trying to prove a point, here

I've asked people in a Portuguese forum if they think PaySafecard should be suppoted by Steam.
I Didn't had much replies, but so far I've got 37 "Yes" and 3 "No".
Most people said that any payment method that's safe and provides commodity to the user should be addopted, and a few actually said they would buy more game if PaySafeCard was addopted...

Regards
Old 07-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #11
Geister

So, everyone in countries like USA, Canada, Chile, Brasil, and other countries where there are no PaySafeCards, how do you think they go around for buying games on Steam?

If you are afraid to get your cards cloned, I can tell you one thing. You are not responsible for this if you did not do something stupid like publishing your information out on public view, or any way which would help defrauders clone your card. So if you notice any amount that you did not spend with your credit card, you have to tell your bank about it and they will take legal action, and it will cost you nothing. Whether you shop online or in an actual store, the danger is the same. With PayPal (I don't know Click and Buy) your information is always kept secure, so no risk of cloning from places you buy from. So should people all pay cash to prevent this kind of fraud? Then go get some cash from that ATM, oh wait, you might get your card cloned... See where I'm getting? There are risks associated with every method of payment, but that must not stop you from using it.

I agree though it would help people with no debit card or credit card to buy games on Steam, but would that be responsible? Money is not child's play...

Oh and, Tthorlord, I do find it weird too. I've seen it on other topics too, people creating an account just to reply to that specific topic but no other. And they all seemed to have the same level of grammar, and were all from the same area of the world, and all were for the idea suggested even if it was a total mess and everyone else said no for obvious reasons (not saying it is the case here). It's suspicious indeed...
Old 07-28-2009, 05:35 AM   #12
mtx1855

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geister View Post
So, everyone in countries like USA, Canada, Chile, Brasil, and other countries where there are no PaySafeCards, how do you think they go around for buying games on Steam?
As you say, They go around the same way other people in other countries do ('cause PaySafeCard is not implemmented in steam), but I can tell you for sure there are lots of people in USA, Canada, Chile, Brasil, etc, that won't buy steam games due to online transaction risks...
But this happens not only with the refered countries, but with many other countries. Fortunetly, people in Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Eire, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and United Kingdom have an alternative, but apparently, Steam refuses to implemment it.
Quote:
If you are afraid to get your cards cloned, I can tell you one thing. You are not responsible for this if you did not do something stupid like publishing your information out on public view, or any way which would help defrauders clone your card. So if you notice any amount that you did not spend with your credit card, you have to tell your bank about it and they will take legal action, and it will cost you nothing.
Yes, of course I can tell my bank. Meanwhile, my money is still missing, and I must wait days while the bank takes care of the paperwork.

Quote:
With PayPal (I don't know Click and Buy) your information is always kept secure, so no risk of cloning from places you buy from.
To use paypal, people have to have a credit card, and again, not everyone has one (though extremely rare these days). I can allways transfer funds to paypal, but that takes three days, far from instantaneous.
Quote:
I agree though it would help people with no debit card or credit card to buy games on Steam, but would that be responsible? Money is not child's play...
I'm sorry, but I feel like I should insult you now (of course I won't, but...). You are implying that people without a credit card or a bank account are all 9 year-old kids...
You are not, obviously, thinking about 16-17 year-old kids whose parents do not allow them to have a credit card, e.g..
You explained that anyone can get their credit cards clonned even in a ATM, but you explained that to me. Can you explain that to the entire world? There will allways be those people who don't trust this Kind of things.
Oh, and I'm sorry, but I don't get what "responsibility" has to do with the question! What do you think about all those adults who waste fortunes buying World of Warcraft or Eve subscriptions every month? Would you call them responsible? Maybe you would. I don't think thats being responsible, but I can understand. Some people would say: "that is absolutely ridiculous". As you can see, "responsibility" is a very relative term.

[ironic mode]Of course, you can allways consider that if "childs" don't buy games on steam using PaySafeCard, and since they have no credit cards, they can allways buy steam games in phisical stores. Well, the games would be much more expensive, but that would be much more responsilble. Oh God, by all means more responsible [/ironic mode]

As for my grammar level, I hope you understand not everyone has born in a English Country, So our English may not be perfect.

[EDIT]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tthorlord View Post
this is suspicious.

I Have never heard about Click and Buy before I saw it was a payment method for steam. God, I must obviously conclude its a strange payment method...

Rgrds

Last edited by mtx1855: 07-28-2009 at 05:41 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:23 PM   #13
Geister

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtx1855 View Post
As you say, They go around the same way other people in other countries do ('cause PaySafeCard is not implemmented in steam), but I can tell you for sure there are lots of people in USA, Canada, Chile, Brasil, etc, that won't buy steam games due to online transaction risks...
Yes, and it is their loss. Electronic transactions are as safe if not safer than physical transactions (which are done electronically on a separate network).

Quote:
Yes, of course I can tell my bank. Meanwhile, my money is still missing, and I must wait days while the bank takes care of the paperwork.
How many people got their card cloned over the Internet? Only those who did not buy from secure trusted sources, and no one using PayPal.

Quote:
To use paypal, people have to have a credit card, and again, not everyone has one (though extremely rare these days). I can allways transfer funds to paypal, but that takes three days, far from instantaneous.
This has been said many times in many different threads, you do NOT need a credit card to use PayPal. You can associate a bank/debit card with it, or as you said, transfer funds to it. This is what my friend does and he has no problem buying games on Steam. It also keeps you from impulsively buying, but has downsides for weekend specials.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I feel like I should insult you now (of course I won't, but...). You are implying that people without a credit card or a bank account are all 9 year-old kids...
Not at all. I'm just saying that employers usually pay by check or by direct deposit, so the majority of the population of the world who has access to Steam has a bank account. How would they be paying their bills?

Quote:
You are not, obviously, thinking about 16-17 year-old kids whose parents do not allow them to have a credit card, e.g..
Sure I am, I was one some time ago. I simply registered my bank account with PayPal and bought games on Steam that way. When I eventually got a credit card, I started buying my games with it and repaid instantly, so it gives me a good credit score.

Quote:
You explained that anyone can get their credit cards clonned even in a ATM, but you explained that to me. Can you explain that to the entire world?
What I write here is visible to the entire world. Therefore, explaining it to you is the same as explaining it to everyone, since I do not know your level of knowledge in that area, and assume you have none just to be safe.

Quote:
There will allways be those people who don't trust this Kind of things.
Can't please everyone. There will always be conspiracy theorists who constantly question truth and gullible believers who won't question what is presented to them as truth. (Of course, this is just an example, not targeting anyone)

Quote:
Oh, and I'm sorry, but I don't get what "responsibility" has to do with the question! What do you think about all those adults who waste fortunes buying World of Warcraft or Eve subscriptions every month? Would you call them responsible? Maybe you would. I don't think thats being responsible, but I can understand. Some people would say: "that is absolutely ridiculous". As you can see, "responsibility" is a very relative term.
You are responsible of your own actions. If you decide to spend your money on games, it is up to you. I spend mine on flying planes. One could say it is irresponsible, it is a point of view. What I meant by this probably being irresponsible is that there is usually a good reason when someone can only pay cash. Sure, they could always go to a retail store and buy the game, but they have to actually get there and it's an effort, which discourages a lot of people. As far as I know, I did not say I disagreed with the idea. I was simply bringing up that for every action there is a consequence, and since Steam has a lot of influence, actions need to be carefully thought first. Just like when my bank decided to change PINs from 5 to 4 digits for simplicity, they didn't think about how easier it would be to get the right code. You could probably even guess it. (They changed it to 6 digits three months later, due to all the cloned cards and stolen PINs)

Quote:
As for my grammar level, I hope you understand not everyone has born in a English Country, So our English may not be perfect.
It's good. I understood every part of what you wrote, and it's pretty much all that matters, no? I have seen much worse, even with native English speakers. However, you seem to take things a little too personal. This is a discussion forum, the goal here is not to blindly agree or disagree about ideas, it is to discuss to improve them and make sure no aspect has been left out.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:21 AM   #14
mtx1855

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geister View Post
Yes, and it is their loss. Electronic transactions are as safe if not safer than physical transactions (which are done electronically on a separate network).

How many people got their card cloned over the Internet? Only those who did not buy from secure trusted sources, and no one using PayPal.
I must disagree here. I've read a while ago about an online store which most people thought was a secure trusted source, but it turned out a scam, cloning Credit Cards. I searched for the News, but I couldn't find it, all I lnow is that it is/was an UK online store.

Quote:
This has been said many times in many different threads, you do NOT need a credit card to use PayPal. You can associate a bank/debit card with it, or as you said, transfer funds to it. This is what my friend does and he has no problem buying games on Steam. It also keeps you from impulsively buying, but has downsides for weekend specials.
By the way, does Steam accept unverified Paypal accounts...? I suppose it doesn't.

Quote:
Not at all. I'm just saying that employers usually pay by check or by direct deposit, so the majority of the population of the world who has access to Steam has a bank account. How would they be paying their bills?
Either way, not everyone understand how secure or unsecure the Internet is, and that leads me to the same premisse: Some poeple don't trust online transactions...

Quote:
Sure I am, I was one some time ago. I simply registered my bank account with PayPal and bought games on Steam that way. When I eventually got a credit card, I started buying my games with it and repaid instantly, so it gives me a good credit score.
I don't Know about you, but here I can't simply decide to have a credit card or a bank account. Everyone that's under 18 require parents permissions, and I know very few people whose parents are actually aware of Internet dangers and advantages.

Quote:
What I write here is visible to the entire world. Therefore, explaining it to you is the same as explaining it to everyone, since I do not know your level of knowledge in that area, and assume you have none just to be safe.
Infornutely, only about 1% of the world's population visits this forum, if that much.

Quote:
Can't please everyone. There will always be conspiracy theorists who constantly question truth and gullible believers who won't question what is presented to them as truth. (Of course, this is just an example, not targeting anyone)
Of course you can't please everyone. No one can. But Steam as the possibility to please a few more people.

Quote:
You are responsible of your own actions. If you decide to spend your money on games, it is up to you. I spend mine on flying planes. One could say it is irresponsible, it is a point of view. What I meant by this probably being irresponsible is that there is usually a good reason when someone can only pay cash. Sure, they could always go to a retail store and buy the game, but they have to actually get there and it's an effort, which discourages a lot of people. As far as I know, I did not say I disagreed with the idea. I was simply bringing up that for every action there is a consequence, and since Steam has a lot of influence, actions need to be carefully thought first.
I'm sorry, But I don't really get your point of view.
If using a credit card on steam is simple and instantaneous, I can't see how that may be more responsible than using real cash (PaySafeCard)...

E.G. , Steam sells EVE subscriptions... EVE supports PaySafeCard, Steam doesn't... World of Warcraft probably supports it too..

Rgrds

Last edited by mtx1855: 07-29-2009 at 04:41 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:20 AM   #15
Geister

Quote:
I must disagree here. I've read a while ago about an online store which most people thought was a secure trusted source, but it turned out a scam, cloning Credit Cards. I searched for the News, but I couldn't find it, all I lnow is that it is/was an UK online store.
One store out of how many? Card cloning occurs mostly in physical places, especially restaurants. It's better it is a UK store than a Chinese store, since you couldn't do much against the Chinese (their government does not cooperate).

Quote:
By the way, does Steam accept unverified Paypal accounts...? I suppose it doesn't.
I'm pretty sure it does. My friend has an unverified account and can still buy from Steam. He simply needs to transfer money from his bank account to PayPal, then he can buy on Steam.

Quote:
Either way, not everyone understand how secure or unsecure the Internet is, and that leads me to the same premisse: Some poeple don't trust online transactions...
I can only agree with that.

Quote:
I don't Know about you, but here I can't simply decide to have a credit card or a bank account. Everyone that's under 18 require parents permissions, and I know very few people whose parents are actually aware of Internet dangers and advantages.
Over here, you are required to be 18 to get a credit card, but as far as a bank account goes, if you are under 14 or 16 (not sure which one), you require parental permission to open a bank account. However, a bank account can be used for more than online transactions, and it is a good way to put money aside for future use.

Quote:
Of course you can't please everyone. No one can. But Steam as the possibility to please a few more people.
True. Another method of payment can only make a few more people happy. However, as I said, Steam is highly influential when it comes to selling games, and I am certain a lot of its customers are under the age of 18. I can not deny it would be really good for business.

Quote:
I'm sorry, But I don't really get your point of view.
If using a credit card on steam is simple and instantaneous, I can't see how that may be more responsible than using real cash (PaySafeCard)...
I'm trying to say that in this ever-changing society, everything is getting accessible to your fingertips, and it is for a constantly younger population. In 2000, I never saw a kid in elementary school with a cellphone, while in 2009, it's all I can see. Technology made things easier and faster, but it also made it available to people who might not understand yet what having responsibilities mean. If parental permission is required to open a bank account, it can only be for a good reason. I am not saying you are irresponsible, or that people under 18 are. I am saying that such a decision can have a considerable impact on a lot of people and every aspect of it has to be considered, even the social one. I am sure many parents would disagree with this if they knew they would lose control on their kids, but it doesn't mean they will lose it. If they go to a retail store, they can make sure their children do not buy games rated 18+ when they are just 12. If they buy a PaySafeCard, they have no control over what games their children will get. Sure, a PayPal account or a bank account would be the same as buying a PaySafeCard, but if you require parental permission to get a bank account, and your parents agree, it probably means they consider you responsible enough to manage your money.

Quote:
E.G. , Steam sells EVE subscriptions... EVE supports PaySafeCard, Steam doesn't... World of Warcraft probably supports it too..
EVE Online does not support PaySafeCards, however they support PayPal.

This is going nowhere, it's more of a debate between two opinions.
1) I do not disagree with the idea.
2) I personally would not go to the store to buy a PaySafeCard just to get back home to buy a game. I would buy the game from the store if they had it.
3) New payment options can sure be good for business, but require agreements between both parties.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas