Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
Kent Elyoo

What happens if Steam/Valve goes out of business ?

Hi,

I've been following Steam's growth and I have respect for the system and for Valve. But I've always been hesitant to buy games on Steam for the following reason. I'm a long time gamer and I have 15 years old games in my library. Most of the developers and publishers of those games are long gone. But I can still install those games (maybe with the help of DOSbox) and play them. And its not just a theoretical possibility, I do play the best games more than once over the years.

So if I begin to buy games on Steam, what will happen if Valve/Steam goes out of business in 15 years ? (and don't try to convince me it won't. I'm talking of a "what if" situation) ? Will I loose all my games ? I would like to know if there's been an official statement about this.

The only solution I can think of is related to the Good Old Games (Gog.com) way of doing things. For those who don't know, GoG releases "out of print" or somewhat old games in the form of a Vista/XP compatible .exe file without any DRM restrictions for 6$ or 10$. So even if GoG goes out of business, I can keep the game on a disc and play it 10 years from now.

Well, Valve could do the same thing before going out of business. Permit us to download a DRM-free version of our games to keep forever. But would all publishers agree to do it ?

So thank you for reading. I would love a Valve employee response but I'm probably dreaming.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
Chapa9dj

Sometimes i ask myself the same question even if they say they will release a patch to download and keep all the games.
I can't imagine seeing VALVe running out of business, but yeah these are hard times on the economy and business.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
some_guy

epic. this question has been asked soooooo much. A simple search would probably have got you the answer in no time, but since you obviously can't I'll say what I know. *ahem* Valve have stated that they would make all games available to play without steam.

That's about it.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
mouton

I am having a deja vu now
Old 05-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
Eek!

I'm also experiencing déjà vu.

I'm also experiencing déjà vu.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
some_guy

hahaha. well played.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #7
Kent Elyoo

Sorry about that...

Do you have a link to the official statement ? That would be cool and bring a new customer to Steam !

Old 05-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #8
Tonour

You are able to make hard copy "back ups" of each game under the Properties section.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
gimpymoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Elyoo View Post
Sorry about that...

Do you have a link to the official statement ? That would be cool and bring a new customer to Steam !
No VALVE employee has ever made such a statement.

To all the kiddies saying "deja vu", why do you not make a positive contribution to the thread and link to the aforemwntioned "They will release a patch" quote please?
Old 05-22-2009, 11:33 AM   #10
warmaster670

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpymoo View Post
No VALVE employee has ever made such a statement.

To all the kiddies saying "deja vu", why do you not make a positive contribution to the thread and link to the aforemwntioned "They will release a patch" quote please?
there probably tired from doing it the last 500000 times.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #11
Kent Elyoo

I've looked around and can't find any official (or even unofficial) statement from Valve regarding this issue.

Anyway, I've thought about it and I'm pretty sure if Steam closes, the best games will probably be available from another online service like GoG for 10$ or less. So we might have to buy some games twice but if its to have a great classic game, its worth it at that price in my opinion. I still hope you guys are right and they will release DRM-free versions of our games in case of trouble.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #12
gimpymoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmaster670 View Post
there probably tired from doing it the last 500000 times.
Strange it is not anywhere on this forum though
Old 05-22-2009, 01:15 PM   #13
steveroger

The SSA states that Valve doesn't have to provide you anything ever. If they shut down and release a patch to allow you to continue to play your games in some form they would be doing it out of the goodness of their hearts not because of some legal obligation.

This is no different than any online game, including multiplayer and MMO offerings.

So even if Valve said at one time or another that if they shut down they would issue a patch to allow you to play your games independently from Steam it does not mean that they necessarily would actually do that.

Further, if you game is online multiplayer centric there is no guarantee that such a game would continue to function. That would depend on the players, patches, 3rd parties, etc... Again no guarantees.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #14
Light Yagami

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveroger View Post
The SSA states that Valve doesn't have to provide you anything ever. If they shut down and release a patch to allow you to continue to play your games in some form they would be doing it out of the goodness of their hearts not because of some legal obligation.

This is no different than any online game, including multiplayer and MMO offerings.

So even if Valve said at one time or another that if they shut down they would issue a patch to allow you to play your games independently from Steam it does not mean that they necessarily would actually do that.

Further, if you game is online multiplayer centric there is no guarantee that such a game would continue to function. That would depend on the players, patches, 3rd parties, etc... Again no guarantees.
That's a relief and good to know
I an always asking myself this question
Old 05-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #15
Kent Elyoo

Of course I was speaking of off-line single-player games. Other than any legal obligation to do so, do you have a forum post, an interview or any other comment from Valve regarding this issue ? The other posters talk as if its a know fact. "Link or it did not happen" right ?

Anyway, thank you. I guess I'll take my chances and start to buy from Steam. I don't really have a choice, the PC section of my local EBgames has shrunk so much over the years that they probably should remove it entirely. And what's the point of buying game discs now that I can't play the games without dealing with DRM restrictions. If I need to authenticate the game online, I have the same problem. The authentication servers will also shut down eventually, so I might as well deal with Steam instead.

Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion