Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 04:14 PM   #46
natemckn

Quote:
Originally Posted by um0123 View Post
Im curious as to what exactly this is. Please excuse my limited knowledge of all things steam, i only joined a month ago. And please inform me of this forbidden term.
He's talking about piracy
Old 11-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #47
Clanki

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemckn View Post
He's talking about piracy
well honestly i would do the same because i had already paid for the games. SO legally i have the right to have an extra copy as a backup in case the original is destroyed. Therefore in this case it would be legal for me to download the games off random websites and use the cd keys i have on steam. And if that does not work. I would think about a lawsuit against steam or game company's. Or something more evil >.<
Old 11-14-2009, 02:52 PM   #48
T@F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clanki View Post
well honestly i would do the same because i had already paid for the games. SO legally i have the right to have an extra copy as a backup in case the original is destroyed. Therefore in this case it would be legal for me to download the games off random websites and use the cd keys i have on steam. And if that does not work. I would think about a lawsuit against steam or game company's. Or something more evil >.<
Well if steam shut down that would mean prob valve has gone bankrupt.
So good luck in getting a lawsuit on them.

I very much doubt that the steam keys would work with retail ones,otherwise ppl would be getting the iso`s now and bypassing steam if you get what i mean.

The chances would be a patch so steam runs offline,but then there`s the question will you be able to re-download the games you own to back them up if you don`t have them on your hd?
Old 11-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #49
Internal

Well it doesn't matter anymore. The world is going to end 2012. Lol...

Old 11-14-2009, 03:04 PM   #50
AzureEmmanuel

Banned
I dont feel like reading through the 3 pages so...

What would happen if steam does go out of business?

I have over 80 games. If steam goes out of business I wouldnt be able to download them anymore?
Old 11-14-2009, 04:31 PM   #51
Cedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureEmmanuel View Post
What would happen if steam does go out of business?
Nobody can predict that; not even Valve. That's what it all comes down to.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:03 PM   #52
mriguy

This probably has more to do with the agreement between Valve and the publisher rather then any promise or faithful commitment from Valve to the user. I am sure that there is some section in the contract that covers this but I doubt that the general public would be be privy to it. Publishers may not like titles which do not have addition DRM outside of Steam, simply unlocked, without some type of authorization process.

The best protection is to keep on buying Valve products to keep the company strong.

Last edited by mriguy: 11-14-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:08 PM   #53
Ciaos

VALVe are under no legal obligation to do anything. Even if they didn't I'd expect user made patches to enable the the games to be played, even the likes of CS and TF2. Piracy would be rife though, seeing as there is no other way to redownload the games you didn't have on your HDD.

It won't happen. Even if VALVe went backrupt, Steam is the largest online distribution of games. Its like the iTunes of the games world. The platform would be a very attractive investment.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:59 AM   #54
Hohum

Indeed, if Valve did go bust, you can guarantee that there will be plenty of other companies out there falling over themselves to purchase the Steam service.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:04 AM   #55
VictoriaT

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...1&postcount=18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippleD View Post
Steam would revert to "Offline" mode.
Non-issue.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:55 AM   #56
Lance_Lake

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by some_guy View Post
epic. this question has been asked soooooo much. A simple search would probably have got you the answer in no time, but since you obviously can't I'll say what I know. *ahem* Valve have stated that they would make all games available to play without steam.

That's about it.
People always say this.. I still have not found the post that says this from a Valve Employee.

There is no such post.

I would love to be proven wrong on this, but each time I ask what the post is, no one can ever seem to find it. It's an urban legend.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #57
Lance_Lake

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippleD View Post
Steam would be patched to run in Offline mode.

Again a non-issue.
Is that your official Valve statement there TrippleD or are you not a Valve employee and can not make such statements about what the company says it will do?

If you heard this from a developer (as I know you have more access to them then we do), please have them post it so we can finally be able to get the official word. Thank you.

Lastly, how do you patch something to talk to a server that is no longer there?
Old 11-15-2009, 11:40 AM   #58
&T: Source

Don't worry folks, they'll still be releasing Railworks DLC long after Steam as gone...
Old 11-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #59
VictoriaT

While the original statement was on these here very forums 4 years ago from a valve employee themselves, (Yes I saw it with my own two eyes) the thread and post has long been purged and you will not find it again.

Since that time, valve / steam is going to continue to be rather closed mouthed on making any kind of grand statements that MIGHT get them into trouble somehow. Sort of like a doctor that will prefer to not say "I am sorry" so as not to confuse the grieving wife into thinking that he did something wrong.

So the closest you are going to get to this is a moderator like TrippleD stating the games would be switched over to no longer require steam to authenticate. Which by the way folks, really is not that hard to believe is an easy thing to do.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #60
Killerwatt

Hm, yeah. What would happen, if Steam goes bankrupt? Well, I would ask a more pressing question: what would happen, if your bank goes bankrupt? The very one that holds your monthly salary and long-term savings? You will be cut off from your fundings as well as your savings, and your very survival will be endangered. Do you believe that it is so unlikely that it won't happen? Then why do you afraid that it will with Valve? Your bank won't pay you anything when they won't have anything to pay from. In case of Valve, there's always the promise of permanently unlocking your account. Even if they are not releasing a patch, someone will most likely release a crack -- which will be legal after Steam is unsupported and you already own the games.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion