Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 05-22-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
Dm4544

Question The never ending Scan for Steam games updates

Hey guys, I'm having trouble with Steam. BIG TROUBLE. I can launch Steam itself just fine, I'm able to access my friends, my community page, and the Steam store. HOWEVER, I cannot access my games, media, or tools.

Whenever I select their respective tabs I'm greeted with an empty games/media/tools list and the text "Scanning for Steam games/media/tools updates..."

I've had this problem for two days now (Since the TF2 update) and it's starting to get on my nerves. I want to be able to play my games, but none of them are even appearing! Steam just sits here and scans for game updates but never, EVER actually finds any. It just keeps on scanning.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, I would be forever grateful for your assistance!

Old 05-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
Sierra Oscar

Volunteer Moderator
Are you running any firewall, or any program listed here?
Sierra Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
Dm4544

First, thanks for the quick reply Sierra!

I checked that list of programs and I'm running avast antivirus and Daemon tools lite. I've turned off Daemon tools, but I'm on the fence as to whether I should turn off avast or try to tell it to exclude/ignore Steam. Any suggestions?
Old 05-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
Sierra Oscar

Volunteer Moderator
You should try adding Steam to Avast's ignore list to begin with.
Sierra Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
Dm4544

Done & done, but as of yet Steam's STILL scanning for them updates.. I'm going to try a system restart, but keep the ideas flowing!
Old 05-22-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
Dm4544

Finished restarting my PC, but Steam is still having the same issue.
I'm stumped, I'd really like to jump in to the new TF2 update, heck, ANY game would be nice. It's Senior Skip Day and I haven't even been able to do any slacking off/gaming yet! :P

Is there any way I can bypass the update scan and play some other game without resorting to offline mode?
Old 05-22-2009, 01:31 PM   #7
Dm4544

ARGH, still nothing... Any more suggestions guys?
Old 06-09-2009, 10:47 PM   #8
sobe

As this was never continued. I'll mention that I am currently stuck with the issue as well.

I have been running it in offline mode for the past week due to something being wrong with my internet jack. It was working the previous work before when I had net staying with a friend. The only thing I did would be Defrag the hard drive using Win7's multi-pass defragmentation method.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:14 AM   #9
jmj45

Unfortunately I found how to fix this, it might be your steam account. I just completely uninstalled Steam and decided to create a new account since I did not have any games yet, it fixed it.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:26 AM   #10
Earl_Yoist

Unhappy I think I know whats causing the issue

I got this issue too but instead it goes for about 15 mins, I think its related to a recent update (yesterday for me) so if the developers are reading this, please revert the update or fix it.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:58 AM   #11
Evolon

Banned
I just got this issue too. Logged out steam about 10 hours ago. In the meanwhile left4dead2 releases and when I want to log back in it says in 'My Games' screen :
"Scanning for Steam game updates".

I have bought l4D2, perhaps they are related.. I don't know. All I know is I can't play ANY game, and I 'm waiting half an hour now and it still says 'Scanning for Steam games updates'

Wow.. lol.. just got my games list back .. So its ok I guess
Evolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:57 AM   #12
Zer0double

Just delete the "ClientRegistry.blob" file, then restart steam and you can play again.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:28 PM   #13
coolman166

Angry

It still doesn't work after I delete "ClientRegistry.blob"
coolman166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:19 PM   #14
srvrsyde

Banned
do this, go into your steam folder and delete everything except for steam.exe and the steamapps folder. don't worry, your games will be safe, i promise.

after, just restart your computer and then start steam again. it'll update and ba boom, all done. my friend had this exact problem and this was how i fixed it.
srvrsyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #15
Humping Bear

i had this problem aswell after downloading Skyrim, all i did was delete the ClientRegistry.blob, and then delete the file from your recylin bin.
Humping Bear is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips