Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source Level Design

Old 06-02-2009, 11:40 PM   #1
A Team Player

Banned
Ladders in TF2

So here I am, working on my first map for TF2, learning the new funcs and props and stuff, and I designed my map around the use of ladders, since I don't much care for ramps, and it comes to my attention now, as I am trying to add the ladders, that there is no func_useableladder for TF2.

However, I have played TF2 maps that use ladders (cp_desperados_a17 for example). Are they nothing more than steep ramps, or are they real ladders? How would I make a climbable ladder for use in TF2?
Old 06-03-2009, 05:03 AM   #2
Salith

Those are extremely steep ramps (such as 1 unit in while 18 units up, or the like). As far as I remember, there is no capacity for actual ladders in TF2.
Salith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:43 AM   #3
psihomir2

They're actually really short stairs. A ramp will not work since the maximum angle for a surface to be climbable is 90 degrees (or 1:1 length/height), anything steeper than that will push the player back.

The fake ladders in TF2 are what Salith said, a set of stairs where each step is the minimum walkable length (1 unit) long, and the maximum step size (18 units) high.

The problem with those ladders is coming down, because it doesn't work really well
psihomir2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:33 AM   #4
A Team Player

Banned
I just decided to use small lifts instead. Not really aesthetically pleasing, but I'm not too concerned with appearances as much as functionality with this map. But I will make note of how to do this for future projects
A Team Player is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source Level Design