Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 06-12-2009, 02:52 AM   #1
Doc

Steam uses Internet Explorer? Can it work with other browsers?

I only use Firefox for normal web browsing and only have Internet Explorer 6 installed, because it cant be removed (Steam will stop working?) and IE7/8 change things in Windows that I don't want changed. I just wondered if there is any way to use other web browsers with steam?

Also, Windows 7 will ship without Internet Explorer in Europe, so those people with Steam will need to download and install it?
Old 06-12-2009, 03:02 AM   #2
duncans.pumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I only use Firefox for normal web browsing and only have Internet Explorer 6 installed, because it cant be removed (Steam will stop working?) and IE7/8 change things in Windows that I don't want changed. I just wondered if there is any way to use other web browsers with steam?

Also, Windows 7 will ship without Internet Explorer in Europe, so those people with Steam will need to download and install it?
No. Its by far the easiest way. Do you realise how much code would have to be changed for it to use a different rendering engine.
duncans.pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:17 AM   #3
michael89

Banned
I've heard that there will be other browsers too, and users have a chance to select the one, that they want to use.
michael89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:35 AM   #4
pizzahut

Quote:
Here's a reference:
Quote:
What does this mean for European consumers? The E versions of Windows 7 will include all the features and functionality of Windows 7 in the rest of the world, other than browsing with Internet Explorer. Computer manufacturers will be able to add any browser they want to their Windows 7 machines, including Internet Explorer, so European consumers who purchase new PCs will be able to access the Internet without any problem. Consumers will also be able to add any Web browser to their PCs, to supplement or replace the browsers preinstalled by their computer manufacturer.
http://microsoftontheissues.com/cs/b...windows-7.aspx

Edit: Maybe the IE engine will still come with Windows 7 E, so alternative browsers that use this engine (such as Steam's built-in browser) will continue to work.

Last edited by pizzahut: 06-12-2009 at 03:43 AM.
pizzahut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:39 AM   #5
Roachz2

Banned
heres what im wondering.. if Windows 7 comes without a browser.. than how do you download 1 ?
Roachz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:42 AM   #6
Sierra Oscar

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roachz2 View Post
heres what im wondering.. if Windows 7 comes without a browser.. than how do you download 1 ?
I think they will bundle it with a CD or something along those lines.
Sierra Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:53 AM   #7
Draek

For the european Windows 7, OEMs will still be able to bundle whatever browser they want and if you're building a computer yourself, you can always borrow a friend's laptop and download whatever you want to a pendrive.

As to the original post, IIRC Valve was planning to switch to Webkit (the engine behind Safari and Chrome) due to limitations in the IE engine, and they'd bundle it with Steam itself which would eliminate the requirement of having IE installed at all.
Draek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:43 AM   #8
Oggy1985

who wants IE on his PC? i don't like the fact that that Steam renders screen shots in IE. Hope that Win7 will stimulate Steam to make that some other way - and not IE specific.
Oggy1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:45 AM   #9
ReBoot

Banned
Due to limitations in the IE control, not the engine. The control is horrible to embed in a 3D-environment (such as the overlay).
Quote:

a) Search. There are tons of "I like FF and hate IE"-threads, just search
b) Always have the system up-to-date. IE7/8 do not change much in the system. At least nothing which you can not just turn off in the options
c) I assume, there will be some preinstalled IE downloader when Windows 7 comes out in the EU. But I don't think that MS will actually remove the HTML-engine itself so apps requiring it will still be able to use it.
ReBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:04 AM   #10
MADDOGGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReBoot View Post
Due to limitations in the IE control, not the engine. The control is horrible to embed in a 3D-environment (such as the overlay).
a) Search. There are tons of "I like FF and hate IE"-threads, just search
b) Always have the system up-to-date. IE7/8 do not change much in the system. At least nothing which you can not just turn off in the options
c) I assume, there will be some preinstalled IE downloader when Windows 7 comes out in the EU. But I don't think that MS will actually remove the HTML-engine itself so apps requiring it will still be able to use it.
I think they should remove it totally. Then when the PC users can't connect to the net because they don't have a browser or something won't run because it needs IE to work they will kill the lawmakers and regulators who pulled this stunt to get it removed. Why should one company have to provide the services of another without compensation. No one says you have to use a program. I had a lot of pre-installed junk on my PC. I simply un-installed it or don't use it. Damn thats so hard. I personally never had any problems to speak with IE up to 7 but IE8 IMO at this time is total complete garbage. IE8 on Vista and Win7 is a total fail for browsing purposes. I haven't tried it on XP yet and won't till I have to. I still run IE7 on the old XP rig because of this. I also about a month back, at the urging of my Sis started using Chrome and I love it. Fast, no clutter, and does what I want. Thats how you get rid of IE provide a better product not telling a company they can't decide what to provide in Their OS package.

Last edited by MADDOGGE: 06-12-2009 at 10:08 AM.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:43 AM   #11
ScytheBlade1

This does NOT mean that IE will be unavailable to steam.

The version of Win7 that ships in the EU that has IE "uninstalled" will simply not have an Internet Explorer icon, http:// association, or %PROGRAMFILES%\ folder.

IT WILL STILL BE ON THE SYSTEM.

... in the form of a dll that steam and everything else that emebds IE uses.

Users will not be able to access it without reinstalling it. Programs will be able to continue using it just fine. After all, you had no idea it was IE unless you really went poking - it's just an embedded browser that isn't branded in any way, shape, or form.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:20 AM   #12
RaYden

I'm afraid you will never see another engine on steam. Especially not firefox. Furthermore its illegal to even try using Mozilas core if at all possible. Steam can't afford doing stuff like this because the legal consequences are unbearable.

Another thing tho .. why use another core ? Wots wrong with IE it seams to work just fine. While the European version of 7 will not have "Internet Explorer" installed it dose not mean that the "Core"(that's a totally different thing) will not be there. Steam uses Internet explorer core components not IE itself.
RaYden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #13
Mountainforest

I wouldn't be surprised if the IE engine will be left behind, I believe Windows needs it for more then Internet Explorer alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draek View Post
As to the original post, IIRC Valve was planning to switch to Webkit (the engine behind Safari and Chrome) due to limitations in the IE engine, and they'd bundle it with Steam itself which would eliminate the requirement of having IE installed at all.
One way or the other this does sounds like the way to go. It will make Steam less dependant on third party programs, and thus increase it's portability.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #14
freibooter

Quote:

Steam uses IE's trident engine which, I'm sure, will be present in Windows 7.
It's just IE's UI that might be removed from EU versions of Windows 7.
No Windows version since Windows 98 would function without mshtml, Steam will work just fine on any version of Windows 7, don't worry.

Quite frankly, it's stupid and risky not to upgrade your IE install due to all the Windows-features and third-party applications that use its engine, Steam is just one of those.
I have absolutely no idea what "things" you think an upgrade would "change", but other than the "internet settings" nothing else is affected. You will just notice that Steam, the Windows help system, the windows file explorer and so much more will use less resources and work faster and more secure.

IE is by far not my browser of choice, IE6 held back the web for years and should crawl under a rock and die and even IE7/8 don't remotely compare to the current browsers.

But the only way to really avoid this browser's engine is to use a non-Microsoft OS. As long as that is not an option for you, do yourself a favor and upgrade your IE. You don't have to use it as a browser but you can't avoid using its engine.
freibooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:26 PM   #15
ReBoot

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOGGE View Post
I think they should remove it totally. Then when the PC users can't connect to the net because they don't have a browser or something won't run because it needs IE to work they will kill the lawmakers and regulators who pulled this stunt to get it removed. Why should one company have to provide the services of another without compensation. No one says you have to use a program. I had a lot of pre-installed junk on my PC. I simply un-installed it or don't use it. Damn thats so hard. I personally never had any problems to speak with IE up to 7 but IE8 IMO at this time is total complete garbage. IE8 on Vista and Win7 is a total fail for browsing purposes. I haven't tried it on XP yet and won't till I have to. I still run IE7 on the old XP rig because of this. I also about a month back, at the urging of my Sis started using Chrome and I love it. Fast, no clutter, and does what I want. Thats how you get rid of IE provide a better product not telling a company they can't decide what to provide in Their OS package.
Don't see how this is really related to the thread. If you want, we can discuss IE8 being bad or not via PMs.
ReBoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips