Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Publisher & Developer Discussions > Strategy First

Old 06-14-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
TechnetiumGames

Technetium Games
Red face Dear community

Dear community,

Here are the news. Strategy First is still not paying us any money. They are not sending us any report on sales. They are telling us stories and giving explanations.

Now lets speak about business.

How on earth can we sustain what we are doing if absolutely no money comes in. Even we would say small sales would generate enough profit to cover smallest expenses of support and additional coding that is needed to remove all the bugs. Ok. We did it. Our mistake. Game is broken. Don't buy it. Well, let me tell you this. We have tested the game on many many configurations and removed all the bugs we found, previous to releasing the gold version. So, you would ask, what is the problem?

Lets elaborate on that.

You actually bought the game from Strategy First, and Steam, right? Not from us! True, unfortunately. Not a single penny was delivered to our account. So. Who is responsible? Us, or the sellers? We are just developers. They are right now spending our money. Right now.

Next. They released the game. Right? yes. Did they test it? Did it pass their check? I don't know! Who is responsible? Us? Maybe. But, why did they release a broken game?

Patch. We have no options of putting the patch(es) through Steam's native patching system. Nothing. Fair? no, I would say not.

Number of sales. Data. Oh, yes.. it is in a paper form.. not digital. It is complicated to send.. OR is it like a number for each day? Online kind of system.. no, why would they give us access to logs.. then they would have to pay, right? wrong. one way or another, they are not paying.

Fixing the game. Easy easy task! IF we had a computer that would generate the crash. Small developers, without cash in-front. Without payments for 5 months. What would you suggest? Publisher, why would they bother. Why would they try to find a right computer and work with us on that? Easy, blame us for everything.

We are people that have other jobs. (be happy to tell you soon about it)

Without any money that is coming in after 5 months.. without any system that would allow us to integrate our support into Steams native support system. Without any data on sales that could allow us to plan the strategy for the future or reorganize what we are doing. What would you do?

Now people.. honestly.

What would you do?
Old 06-14-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
persechini

Sorry to hear this.
Guess what has to be done is the regular take your contract to a lawyer and take legal actions thing (which I believe is already being done), and if everything goes right sell the game on steam without a third party publisher
persechini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
Chapa9dj

What a shame on them.
You guys should definetively take legal actions on this.
I also heard the same about the developers of Alien shooter not receiving the money.
Meanwhile we must not buy any product from Strategy first.
Best of luck and i really hope this get sorted out soon.
My support from here.

Cheers.
Chapa9dj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
paratech2008

That's unfortunate that the publisher is not paying you whatever was agreed in the contract, but other than refuse to buy their games, there is nothing much gamers can do regarding your situation.

Its understandable that you're unhappy about not being paid, but I seriously doubt anyone is happy at the moment as most of us cannot play the game.

If you are going to make another game for sale, I would suggest getting a PC that can be used to test the game. If you can't, and don't test it, this may likely happen all over again.

While you deserve a cut of the profits, gamers deserve a working game, and unless this game is fixed, I seriously doubt many gamers will buy future games from your company or the publisher.
paratech2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
tonka

It's very sad hear that...

Follow the way as Sigma Team (Alien Shooter series) and publish their games on Steam without that third party publisher.

Last edited by tonka: 06-15-2009 at 05:04 PM.
tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
Zeitgeist

If I knew about that earlier, I wouldn't have bought my copy in the first place. I hope you'll get it sorted sooner than later.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:36 PM   #7
abort_user

well that sucks. i almost feel bad for buying it now. but it is a great game which i otherwise wouldnt have known about. so now i know your companies name and will keep tabs on your products (i even bookmarked your website).

NOW WHAT I WOULD DO:

-seeing as how your a small dev you probably couldnt afford to take them to court... id strongly suggest finding a new publisher asap whatever you do.

-i would try to release the bugfixes (within reason) DESPITE the fact that you havent been getting paid. you may ask why? supporting games is great for small devs because it establishes a positive reputation! sure i may understand if you never support this game again. but what about someone less familiar with you? theyll just see that they bought a game and it was buggy and they wont understand why you dropped support. and whenever you release a new game theyll remember and avoid the purchase. but whatever you do you need to make money to support yourselves.

good luck!
abort_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:38 PM   #8
persechini

I didn't realize SF was also the publisher for sigma team's games (bought them after they released them by themselves). Guess this opens a legal precedent, your lawyer would love to hear the story
persechini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:08 PM   #9
deathbyguitar

I definately think you should take their asses to court if at all possible. I'd really like to see you guys re-release the game without them on Steam.

And for the record, the game works fine for me.
deathbyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:51 AM   #10
freibooter

I'm very sorry to hear this. It's exactly what I predicted in the other thread, I just wish it had not come true.
I personally think that Strategy First's actions are plain despicable ... according to their history ripping of unsuspecting developers is their business model. You could have actually gathered that information from their Wikipedia entry before signing a contract with them.
Well, there is no reason to cry about spilled milk. Contact Vavle immediately, maybe they can freeze their royalty payments for your game to Strategy First and hopefully you can directly publish the game on Steam as soon as possible (like Sigma Team and Introversion did successfully). That way you have full control about patching and you will get reimbursed for every sale at least from then on. And maybe Valve can help you get sales figures so you know how much Strategy First owes you.
It might also help contacting previous victims like Sigma Team to see what action they took.

Last edited by freibooter: 06-17-2009 at 11:02 AM.
freibooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:34 AM   #11
qati

It's sad, but unfortunately true that SF is stealing developers' deserved money. A few years ago we made a deal with them, and guess what happened. We got half the cash which was agreed, no other royalties, reports... They even haven't answered to our emails, calls... We actually don't know on which distribution channels the game was released.

ALL developers should avoid Strategy First, and spread the word about their business model!
Old 06-24-2009, 02:36 AM   #12
freibooter

It's even more sad that nobody really seems to care around here.
Well, some of us still do ... so dear Technetium Games, please, if you can, keep us updated about your situation (something you sadly have struggled to do in the past) - it's the only way you will make us care.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:14 AM   #13
TechnetiumGames

Technetium Games
Dear all,

Situation is not yet resolved.

I can't say much right now, but we are following everything you guys are saying here. So new inputs are highly appreciated!

Further public statements will be coordinated with our legal team.

All the best to dedicated community!
TechnetiumGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #14
abort_user

"legal team"

hopefully that means things are going in the right direction.
abort_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #15
freibooter

Any new for us customers on the issue?
After all ... the game is still rather broken and the promised new patch is still nowhere to be seen.
I fully understand that you're not going to do any basically unpaid work, that's why I really hope to see some good new here at some point.
It would be a big shame if Big Score would be left unpolished and finished and the only table in the SlamIt Pinball series.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Publisher & Developer Discussions > Strategy First