Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 06-14-2009, 09:57 PM   #1
Vincenator

Failed to create D3D Device!

When I try to launch TF2 (or Portal, or Left 4 Dead), it gives me a "Failed to create D3D Device!" error and closes the game. I also cannot open older Source games, like HL2DM, which start to load and then stop without an error message. 2-D or older games, like Peggle and Call of Duty, do work fine though.

The error directs me to https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...hp?p_faqid=772.

When I try to run a recent 3-D game, like the Bioshock demo, Windows says that it has experienced an error an needs to close shortly after the initial loading image comes up.

I've spent the last two hours looking up this problem, and have re-updated my Nvidia drivers, and my .net stuff, and my Steam client. I've tried running in dx80 and dx81, and even with -gl and everything Google, Steam support, and the Steam forums can find me.

I've been gone this past week and updated a few programs upon returning, which could feasibly be related to this problem.

I am running 32-bit Windows XP with an NVidia GeForce GTX 260, 3GB of RAM and 2.2GHz Intel duo core.

Any ideas? Is it possible that this error isn't related to Steam and is just with my graphics card or .net or something?

Last edited by Vincenator: 06-14-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
cryptodan

Banned
Update your drivers and your directx
cryptodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #3
Vincenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenator View Post
I've spent the last two hours looking up this problem, and have re-updated my Nvidia drivers, and my .net stuff, and my Steam client. I've tried running in dx80 and dx81, and even with -gl and everything Google, Steam support, and the Steam forums can find me.
I did update my drivers, and there hasn't been a DirectX update in three months...
Vincenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:17 PM   #4
EpyonXI

Dunno if this is any help but you could try verifying your game cache files?
EpyonXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
cryptodan

Banned
What OS are you running?
Old 06-14-2009, 10:21 PM   #6
EpyonXI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptodan View Post
What OS are you running?
hes running 32bit xp
EpyonXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:26 PM   #7
cryptodan

Banned
Try this your directx maybe corrupted.

Also try this Driver Sweeper to completely clean your computer of old or corrupted video card drivers, then completely reinstall your drivers.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:34 AM   #8
Vincenator

I tried both of those and I'm still getting the exact same problem. :/

Oh, and if it's relevant, Fraps.exe always encounters an error and needs to close when I start up my computer, which it has never done before now. So basically there's an error before even launching hl2.exe.

I did install some really old and incompatible eDimensional 3D drivers a week and a half ago, but that in-and-of itself shouldn't be causing any problems. I completely uninstalled it after learning it didn't work and tested TF2, which worked fine. My only thought is that I maybe somehow messed with some deeper-level stuff than drivers, perhaps accidentally deleting something in my registry or some .net stuff... I guess I'll look into my registry. Ugh.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:11 AM   #9
leprechaun

It seems that the help on this subject is limited , even from our STEAM "Friends" .

For the 2nd time in less then 1 month i've had the same problem as vincenator.

The problem should lie with ATI on my side , i've got a 4870 x2 OC Graca , AMD x2 6000+ 3 gig Ram , OS = Vista 32 bit .

Tryed to install all drivers again , witch did not help a bit .

Now hoping that someone out there has found a sollution once again , i'll be looking out for it . Thnx a lot
leprechaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:54 AM   #10
Vincenator

I think that in your case, because the problem's probably a simple driver glitch, you could just replace your current drivers with older ones (like the ones that came on a CD with your card) and that should fix it.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #11
Vincenator

FIXED

I just did a system restore to two weeks ago, and now everything is working fine. All that shows is that the problem was with something affected by System Restore, which isn't very helpful... Well, at least there's a solution that will work.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:22 PM   #12
cryptodan

Banned
Quote:

I did install some really old and incompatible eDimensional 3D drivers a week and a half ago,
That right there probably broke your system. Always use updated es.drivers with modern OS's.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:04 AM   #13
leprechaun

@ vincenator

Downed the driver sweeper , and cleaned it all up . Reinstalled my drivers after booting in safe mode . That worked for now .. until i get the message again . But at least its fixed :-) thnx ^^
leprechaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:08 AM   #14
cryptodan

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by leprechaun View Post
@ vincenator

Downed the driver sweeper , and cleaned it all up . Reinstalled my drivers after booting in safe mode . That worked for now .. until i get the message again . But at least its fixed :-) thnx ^^
You are welcome, and you shouldn't receive the error anymore. If you do then you know the fix.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:09 AM   #15
johnny5rlx

Quote:
I did install some really old and incompatible eDimensional 3D drivers a week and a half ago, but that in-and-of itself shouldn't be causing any problems. I completely uninstalled it after learning it didn't work and tested TF2, which worked fine.
my guess is it worked untill your next reboot
johnny5rlx is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips