Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Oblivion, The Elder Scrolls IV

Old 06-17-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
PhantomHunta

Oblivion (Mods?)

Does anyone know if mods from rpgbanana.com or the Oblivion editor works? i would like to know since im pretty keen on modding this game and making my own things with the Dev Kit.
Thanks in advance

Old 06-17-2009, 02:05 AM   #2
Sierra Oscar

Volunteer Moderator
The retail version is the same as the Steam version, you can use mods.
Sierra Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:10 AM   #3
PhantomHunta

Awsome! so i will be able to use the Editor aswell?
Old 06-17-2009, 02:12 AM   #4
jon_hill987

Banned
Apparently the Oblivion Script Extender, which a lot of mods need, does not work with the Steam version.
jon_hill987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:13 AM   #5
Sierra Oscar

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomHunta View Post
Awsome! so i will be able to use the Editor aswell?
The actual editor works fine, its the same setup with Fallout 3 - and Fallout 3 mods work perfectly on Steam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_hill987 View Post
Apparently the Oblivion Script Extender, which a lot of mods need, does not work with the Steam version.
Any specific info? I cant see why it would not work.

EDIT: Ah yes, .exe issues.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:15 AM   #6
PhantomHunta

Thats fantastic !

Why would the steam version's Script Extender not work? Ive read on another post that the Mod Manager works, so if that works then so should most other mods, does anyone have first hand knowledge of this?
Old 06-17-2009, 02:21 AM   #7
Grimspoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomHunta View Post
Thats fantastic !

Why would the steam version's Script Extender not work? Ive read on another post that the Mod Manager works, so if that works then so should most other mods, does anyone have first hand knowledge of this?
Mods like OBSE, MGE, etc. access the main executable which is not the same as the retail .exe, as it is encrypted for Steam's DRM.

Unlike Fallout 3, which has it's launcher encrypted instead of it's main .exe, allowing the FOSE to work just fine. The mods that rely on Oblivion Script Extender and Morrowind Script Extender (as well as Graphics Extender) will not work because Steam, in all it's infinite wisdom decided to do the opposite of what worked with fallout 3, and lock the Steam user community out of access to the best part of the Elder Scroll games; their modding community.

I suggest we request that Bethesda (It's not under Steam's control) take corrective measures in order to allow us to unlock the game's full potential!!!

Last edited by Grimspoon: 06-17-2009 at 03:25 AM.
Grimspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:22 AM   #8
Sierra Oscar

Volunteer Moderator
I wonder if Beth are aware of the issues. Maybe there is not much that can be done though . . .
Old 06-17-2009, 02:26 AM   #9
PhantomHunta

In the case of this i suppose i will just have to get Oblivion off a friend. Oh well ^^ thanks for saving me 20 dollers, hehehe
Old 06-17-2009, 02:31 AM   #10
Dragory

Wouldn't the script extender work if you don't run the game straight through Steam but instead use the script extender .exe?

Aww... pity. Not then.
Dragory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:40 AM   #11
jon_hill987

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimspoon View Post

I suggest we petition Steam to take corrective measures in order to allow us to unlock the game's full potential!!!
Bethesda are the only ones who can do anything about it. Community modders can't as they would be breaking the encryption, and Valve can't because it isn't their software.

Petitioning Bethesda wouldn't hurt though.
jon_hill987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:43 AM   #12
Grimspoon

I don't know who controls what, either way we need someone to stand up for us to make things right, be it Bethesda or Steam.

I was under the impression Bethesda supported the modding community, and encouraged it's growth. So I find it baffling that they would create an insurmountable hurdle by allowing the encryption to reside in the game's main executable instead of the launcher, as they did with fallout 3.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:51 AM   #13
Goteki-45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_hill987 View Post
Bethesda are the only ones who can do anything about it. Community modders can't as they would be breaking the encryption, and Valve can't because it isn't their software.

Petitioning Bethesda wouldn't hurt though.
Contacting Bethesda would be a very good idea. It's not beyond them to make the Steam versions of Oblivion and Morrowind compatible, since apparently Fallout 3's script extender works with the Steam version without issue.
Goteki-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:56 AM   #14
Darrosquall

thanks, I wanna buy the game, but if I can't use mod material, it's a very limitation. When they resolve, I will buy the game.
Darrosquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:59 AM   #15
Grimspoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrosquall View Post
thanks, I wanna buy the game, but if I can't use mod material, it's a very limitation. When they resolve, I will buy the game.
A very powerful statement.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Oblivion, The Elder Scrolls IV