Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > 1701 A.D. Gold Edition

Old 06-20-2009, 08:09 AM   #1
crusnak

Anno 1404 - Dawn of Discovery coming to Steam

Awesome!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/33210/
Old 06-21-2009, 11:01 PM   #2
Laza

Not so awesome, if you consider the three times activation limit Ubisoft has come up with.

I really doubt we'll be lucky enough to have it removed on Steam.
Laza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
Bluestrike

I tought steam used its own drm system?
Bioschock has the same and I never saw any message about any kind of activation unless they don't show it.

Anyway i'll be waiting for a budget version or some kind of promotion, its crysis :P
Old 06-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #4
Dangerdog

Steam is just a distribution system, not really an effective form of copy protection against piracy on its own. Still, not letting customers at least 'revoke' activations by uninstalling the game or running some utility is too limiting.
Dangerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
BiGFooT.cz

I'll rather buy it from a normal store, it will be less expensive than buying from Steam. Anyways, the demo was awesome.
BiGFooT.cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
Unfettered One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laza View Post
Not so awesome, if you consider the three times activation limit Ubisoft has come up with.

Yup, anyone that buys a DRM'd game is acting very irresponsibly socially. As long as people continue to accept this intrusion on their consumer rights and their privacy, companies get to keep doing it. SOME drm's (The one in DOD particularly) even require that you uninstall certain programs before playing the associated game!
Unfettered One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:33 AM   #7
CarnageDark

First sorry for my bad english it is really a long time ago that i had to write in this language.

I bought the Anno Gold edition because in the description in the shop there was no DRM system mentioned. I really hate DRM, activation limits and such stuff and i would never buy a game with this kind of DRM.

But now i wonder if 1701 AD have a DRM-System or not. I only bought it because there wasn't anything about a DRM-System in the description of the game.

It would be relly nice if you could explain me, if this game have a DRM-System and which kind. For example limited activations.
CarnageDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:49 AM   #8
BigEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnageDark View Post
First sorry for my bad english it is really a long time ago that i had to write in this language.

I bought the Anno Gold edition because in the description in the shop there was no DRM system mentioned. I really hate DRM, activation limits and such stuff and i would never buy a game with this kind of DRM.

But now i wonder if 1701 AD have a DRM-System or not. I only bought it because there wasn't anything about a DRM-System in the description of the game.

It would be relly nice if you could explain me, if this game have a DRM-System and which kind. For example limited activations.
I'd also like to know this, but I believe 1701 AD doesn't have any other DRM than Steam (which is not the case of 1404).

I'd like someone to confirm this though, and I might get the game (haven't played the Anno series once, I was interested in 1404 but it's not only overpriced but it also contains Tages which I dislike ... if 1701 does not contain DRM I'll think about getting it for the weekend deal price)
BigEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:54 AM   #9
Bluestrike

You can see on the steam page of a game if it has an extra DRM besides steam DRM, its under game details, 3rd party DRM

anno 1404:
3rd-party DRM: TAGES™
3 machine activation limit

So from what I can tell 1701 only has steam DRM
Old 08-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #10
RamblinBob

They removed multiplayer in 1404 as well which is complete bullocks! I might have been willing to forgive DRM if they offered the same multiplayer that 1701 has but apparently it was too much to ask.
RamblinBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:23 PM   #11
downgrade

Multiplayer will be added in the addon (hopefully sometime next year). So keep an eye open and buy it with the MP once its released. Otherwise your missing out on a great game.
downgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #12
Tides

Banned
yeah I bought 1701 Gold on Steam and will not be buying 1404 because it has terrible DRM and no multi player. I can however say that the single player is killer fun as I have played a bit of it and the engine is update with really amazing graphics and a few interface improvements really make the game better to play. Too bad about the tages and no multi....
Tides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:17 AM   #13
-ReuF-

Quote:
Originally Posted by downgrade View Post
Multiplayer will be added in the addon (hopefully sometime next year). So keep an eye open and buy it with the MP once its released. Otherwise your missing out on a great game.
I'll wait for the addon and MP. Until that moment I'll stick to 1701 and Civ4
Old 08-27-2010, 07:00 AM   #14
irishdavelive

Banned
The DRM is the reason I'm not buying it. The 3 times activation is unlimited, You can only install the game on 3 different PCs. After that, thats it.

I got this game from game, using the same DRM protection (SAGE), Game have this game cheaper, like £18 for both Anno 1404 including the expansion.

Steam is too expensive, game is buggy, ubisoft support is useless.

I'd recommend advoiding this game, and buying something else out of the money.
irishdavelive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #15
Raefzm

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laza View Post

There is no reason whatsoever buying a game with activation limits. Theres no reason whatsoever to put activation limits or other disturbing drm. This is a game that will be pirate-copied.
Raefzm is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > 1701 A.D. Gold Edition