Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 08-23-2011, 11:15 PM   #16
Smooth613

I would imagine this status is enabled when your PC is in Sleep mode. Hence, snoozing. Makes since to me and is what I've always assumed to it to be.
Smooth613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:18 AM   #17
Slayer00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth613 View Post
I would imagine this status is enabled when your PC is in Sleep mode. Hence, snoozing. Makes since to me and is what I've always assumed to it to be.
When your PC is in Sleep Mode it isn't connected to the internet since technically its not on at all, its in "sleep".
Slayer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:56 AM   #18
cylon

It cant be set manually. It's a 2 hour "idle" setting that returns you back to 'online/away/busy' when you re-touch the mouse/kayboard.

It MAY BE that they have implimented it to tick into snooze when you set your pc to a certain state. But i know from experience that sleep/suspend/shutdown all lead you to show off-line.
cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:05 AM   #19
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer00 View Post
When your PC is in Sleep Mode it isn't connected to the internet since technically its not on at all, its in "sleep".
Just bumping the thread to say, in sleep mode your PC is connected to the internet. Even when it's turned off. That's the main reason you can Wake-On-LAN, because you are always connected to the internet as long as the cable from your router/modem is plugged in to your pc or you have working wifi connection.

And yes to stay on topic, putting your computer to sleep makes your steam client status to snooze. The only good thing would be that, it shows a notification when changing to online after snooze.
Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:59 AM   #20
Shlamalama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
Just bumping the thread to say, in sleep mode your PC is connected to the internet. Even when it's turned off. That's the main reason you can Wake-On-LAN, because you are always connected to the internet as long as the cable from your router/modem is plugged in to your pc or you have working wifi connection.

And yes to stay on topic, putting your computer to sleep makes your steam client status to snooze. The only good thing would be that, it shows a notification when changing to online after snooze.
to rewake it again this is wrong.

while your lan card maybe still listening for wake on lan packets if set to, your cpu and most everything else is off, no programs are running, so steam isn't running, windows isn't running in sleep mode, if you drop to hibernation then the computer isn't even refreshing the ram contents, its off.

putting your computer to sleep should be seen by steam as you turning off your pc. such high level traffic with net applications is not dealt with at all when the pc is asleep.
Shlamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:29 AM   #21
AW8

Had to google this after seeing Steam friends with their status to "snooze" for the hundredth time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AciD View Post
Just don't touch your PC for 2 hours. Your status changes to Snooze after PC has no activity for 2 hours.
I trust the moderator on this one. 2 hours idle time seems plausible.

Something it's definitely not though:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
And yes to stay on topic, putting your computer to sleep makes your steam client status to snooze.
So according to this theory (which is presented as fact!), you can put your computer to sleep mode with Steam running. You can then turn off your internet connection, start up the computer, close Steam, enable your internet connection and never ever start Steam again.

And then your friends would see you online with snooze status for all eternity.

I felt it was worth it to necro this thread to point out how funny that idea is.
AW8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #22
cylon

Since i posted my reply in this back in Aug 2011, (wow.. a year ago O_o) you can set it manually, but you need a 3rd party program to do it. I like to sit in chat and talk while showing "snooze" to freak people out :P
cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #23
never

Acid, 2h of idle PC or 2h after the Windows screensaver pops? I ask that because when you fall asleep with VLC player running a movie or something, the screensaver never pops up, even when the movie is over. That way the PC doesn't go idle? Or it's just the VLC player that blocks just the screensaver?
never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #24
Slayer00

Quote:
Originally Posted by never View Post
Acid, 2h of idle PC or 2h after the Windows screensaver pops? I ask that because when you fall asleep with VLC player running a movie or something, the screensaver never pops up, even when the movie is over. That way the PC doesn't go idle? Or it's just the VLC player that blocks just the screensaver?
Doesn't matter.

I don't have a screensaver at all and my Steam changes status if I leave the PC for few hours.
Slayer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:10 AM   #25
kakkerlak

Banned
your status changes when you do not move your mouse for 4 or 5 minutes.
bloody stupid system , you can buy a mouse with an "always on" function to get around this(razer deathadder)
kakkerlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #26
STAV3

Online - Automatically set when you login or are active online

Busy - has to be set manually

Away - set after being inactive for 5 minutes

Snooze - inactive for 2 hours or computer hibernates / enters sleep mode

Looking to Play - has to be set manually

Looking to Trade - has to be set manually

Offline - Set manually or by starting steam in offline mode

Use this: http://mousejiggler.codeplex.com/ to prevent sleep mode and have steam status always set as Online.

/thread

Last edited by STAV3: 03-05-2013 at 12:36 PM. Reason: added link to http://mousejiggler.codeplex.com/
STAV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #27
STAV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakkerlak View Post
your status changes when you do not move your mouse for 4 or 5 minutes.
bloody stupid system , you can buy a mouse with an "always on" function to get around this(razer deathadder)
I have a Razer DeathAdder and the always on function has nothing to do with your steam status. My status turns to away after not moving my mouse for 5 minutes and to snooze after 2 hours just fine (I've verified this myself by checking my steam status with another PC).
Old 03-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #28
kakkerlak

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by STAV3 View Post
Online - Automatically set when you login or are active online
no it is not , your status gets set to online when you move your mouse.
I can be active online and steam will set me to away.

/your post
Old 03-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #29
STAV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakkerlak View Post
no it is not , your status gets set to online when you move your mouse.
I can be active online and steam will set me to away.

/your post
That post was just copy&paste from another forum. "Online - when your computer knows you're active" in other words.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #30
kakkerlak

Banned
post the source of your "copy&paste" next time it is the right thing to do.
and if the borrowed post has errors people won't call you out on it.

even when my computer is active my status goes to away so sorry wrong again.
how do I explain only moving my mouse keeps me online?
last time I checked even using they keyboard did not change the status to online or keeps it online.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips