Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 06-27-2009, 11:59 PM   #1
HarmlessWarrior

Banned
Organize Friend List?

My Friend List is a mess. People change their name and avatars all the time. I can't remember who is who anymore. I start speaking Swedish to Germans and English to my Swedish friends. I forget who I played with last night and say we had a gg last night to someone who hasn't been online for a week. I can't remember which friend are from forum and which one that are RL friend. And I invite people to games they don't have.

There for I think Steam should make it possible to make groups or folders not seen by anyone but myself. That way it would be easy to keep it organized. To find the right friend for the right purpose.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
weezer24

I like that idea... being able to make different groups on ur friendslist
weezer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
Geister

I like the idea of friend grouping on your own friends list, I think Steam is the only service I am subscribed to that offers instant messaging which does not have a way of categorizing contacts.

HarmlessWarrior, if you go to the "Friends" window, there is a "Player" menu which contains the submenu "Player list - recent games", which allows you to see who you have played with and which game. Right now, the Friends server is offline, but I think there is a feature that allows you to rename your friends on your list... Probably not, that would also be a nice feature.

EDIT: Nope, all you can do is view aliases of the contact, and you would need to do it for each one of them. Giving a local alias to your contacts could also be interesting, as well as grouping.

Last edited by Geister: 06-30-2009 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Servers back online, was able to check the feature.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
alchemistlord

That would be cool.
alchemistlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:29 PM   #5
NewStanley

x fire can do it why hasn't steam done it yet >:|
Old 06-17-2010, 06:13 AM   #6
echo419a

This is similar to my suggestion of adding a steam friends search box, so you can find your friends among a huge list (about 150 friends avg. per most people) and it would also search the past aliases, so if echo419 changed his name to Toaster, and i can't find him, i can search "echo419" and then it will return "Toaster - past alias "echo419""
would be very helpful
Old 07-26-2010, 01:21 AM   #7
NewOrderrr

Please implement a way for us to add an 'alias' to our friends so that we would know them if they change their profile name to something we don't recognize.

Example:

Friend's profile name was "JoeShmoe1234"
This week he changed it to read as "MadSlayer86"
I know the friend as "Jimmy C"

Let me add an alias for him as 'Jimmy C', so that when he is online, I would see him as: MadSlayer86 (Jimmy C) or Jimmy C (MadSlayer86) or just Jimmy C.

If our friends decide to change their names on a weekly, daily, or even hourly basis, we would still have a known alias to know them when they are online.

I would play more games (or even buy a game to) with people in my friends list when they pop-up online, but if I have to check my gmail or PM them to ask who they are, then I may not bother.
NewOrderrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:48 AM   #8
R-DeifY

Banned
i asked one of the mods about that (mike, who works on steam) and he said that he's working on this atm, so just wait for an UI update P:
R-DeifY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:21 AM   #9
Syldan

/SIGNED]
Syldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #10
Audiovore

I would like to 9th this request. I only have a small list, but with the ability to dynamically change your name, it gets confusing.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #11
Cardnyl

has anyone heard if/when this might be implemented in some format?
Old 01-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #12
MsSnappy

I came to this board to make this exact request and I'm happy to see that other people have the same idea!!

I constantly reach the 250 friend limit and it kills me when I have to cull my friend list when people change their names and/or avatars. I'd like to have the option to create separate lists for people, such as "best friends", "IRL friends", etc, that way I can better distinguish those who I don't want to accidentally remove.

Edit: The alias idea posted by NewOrder is brilliant.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #13
GMijango

Cool

yes, do this, this is a thing to do.
GMijango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #14
StanGe

yea let us add alias and create groups for friends. would be cool
StanGe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #15
Sasquatchsliper

/signed

Games list is a total mess

Friends list is a total mess

Steam needs to get its s* done, or soon Facebook (or similar socialcrap) will take over the games sector with better community features.
Sasquatchsliper is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas