Dozens dead as Taiwan gas blasts tear up downtown streets

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/31/world/...html?hpt=hp_t2

Dash can of the explosion
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MpldBwOega8

Video compilation of the blasts from multiple cameras
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxyjGNq0y5U

Wow, anyone see this? So insane!

Quote:
Witnesses said they saw vehicles flung into the air by the force of the explosions -- one car was found on the roof of a three-story building.
Quote:
Two people were blown to the roof of a four-story building, where emergency workers found them and took them to the hospital for treatment
Whaaaaattttt, they lived???? How?!

Quote:
(CNN) -- A downtown district of the southern Taiwanese city of Kaohsiung was ripped apart just before midnight Thursday by a series of explosions that killed at least 24 people and injured hundreds more, state news agency CNA reported.
The blasts, which were triggered by underground gas leaks, tore a trench through main roads, overturned cars and trucks and sent flames leaping into the air in the city's Cianjhen district.

Witnesses said they saw vehicles flung into the air by the force of the explosions -- one car was found on the roof of a three-story building.
Zong Han-Li was driving when the explosion happened directly in front of him, and his dashboard camera caught the moment the gas ignited.
"The video went black after a rock struck the dash cam and dislocated it," he told CNN. "I was scared that more rocks will follow so I opened the door and looked around for help. I was very fortunate the driver's door was not stuck.
"The explosion left a trench two meters deep. Some vehicles were blasted into the air, and some people fell into the trench. It was a devastating scene."
"It was very loud when the explosion happened, (and) debris was blasted into the sky. Motorcycles were tossed as high as three stories. Everyone came out to help because there were already injuries."

Two people were blown to the roof of a four-story building, where emergency workers found them and took them to the hospital for treatment, CNA reported.
Firefighters from neighboring cities rushed to Kaohsiung to help battle several fires, which had been mostly contained by Friday morning.
At least 24 people were killed, including four firefighters. Twenty-two emergency workers were among 271 people injured, officials said. A number of people were still missing, including a senior fire official who went to investigate reports of a gas leak.

As daylight broke the extent of the damage became clear, with wrecked cars and motorcycles strewn across the cratered streets.
Dave Flynn, an English expatriate who has lived in the city for several years, visited the site of the explosions Friday morning. He told CNN that a huge trench had been gouged along the length of a main thoroughfare for several kilometers, and the pavement had been thrown to the side of the road, damaging vehicles.
"There were police cordons on the major intersections but they were just stopping vehicles," he said. "Most of the side streets, you could just walk into the area and it was full of pedestrians checking out what had happened. I saw people fixing their own houses, and I saw the army arrive, some trucks to clean up some of the (wrecked) cars."

Schools and offices in the Cianjhen district, as well as the neighboring Lingya District, were closed on Friday to facilitate rescue efforts, Mayor Chen Chu told reporters. Several schools and a cultural center are being used as emergency shelters.
Authorities suspect ethylene, propane or butane in the explosions. There are several petrochemical factories in the region.
The government called up hundreds of soldiers to assist in search and rescue efforts.
Just thought it was pretty crazy. Anyone live near there by chance? Couldn't imagine seeing that explosion, yet be near it. That is a long, massive trench.

Last edited by kyosai: 08-01-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:20 AM   #2
Snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosai View Post
The roof was near the apex of their ascent?
Snorkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:21 AM   #3
Smael123

That reminds me of that movie Volcano. I watched it as a kid and it gave me nightmares. That fireman dying (later I realized the protagonist was just standing on top of the car and spouting some orders over the radio when he could've saved him). Also that guy on the bus melting from feet on up. The protagonist also decided to take a vacation even though they needed him afterwards (the joke was that he never took a vacation but when he hears the post disaster deaths similar to hurricane ones then he will feel stupid). And for some reason no one cares about San Francisco. Don't forget if you are geologist you have expertise in dodging rocks. Maybe I could watch it again for the dumb moments.
Smael123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:22 AM   #4
kyosai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorkel View Post
The roof was near the apex of their ascent?
Yeah, but the force of being blasted that high?
kyosai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:24 AM   #5
kyosai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smael123 View Post
That reminds me of that movie Volcano. I watched it as a kid and it gave me nightmares. That fireman dying (later I realized the protagonist was just standing on top of the car and spouting some orders over the radio when he could've saved him). Also that guy on the bus melting from feet on up. The protagonist also decided to take a vacation even though they needed him afterwards (the joke was that he never took a vacation but when he hears the post disaster deaths similar to hurricane ones then he will feel stupid). And for some reason no one cares about San Francisco. Don't forget if you are geologist you have expertise in dodging rocks. Maybe I could watch it again for the dumb moments.
Hahahaha, thaaaaat movie!
Old 08-01-2014, 10:54 AM   #6
marie pavie

Such a horrible mess.
There was something like that here a few years ago. PG&E has been amazingly sleazy about it.

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/...an-5655355.php
marie pavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #7
Ishan451

Quote:
There are documented cases of people going skydiving and their parachute wouldn't open and they still lived to tell the tale, despite landing on solid ground.

Jumping off a bridge or building is no guarantee to die. There are to many cases in which people survive.
Ishan451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:17 AM   #8
bluz74

This is exactly why I have a bottle of Pepto close by when I eat Chinese food.
bluz74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #9
Washell

Quote:
The human body is remarkably resilient to trauma.
Washell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:48 AM   #10
Timmy-P7

This sounds very terrifying to go through... My thoughts go to those affected by it firsthand.

If it can launch a car three stories up... Quite an explosion.
Timmy-P7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:56 AM   #11
GDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluz74 View Post
This is exactly why I have a bottle of Pepto close by when I eat Chinese food.
Liquid Plaster... Tasty!
GDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #12
MADDOGGE

Watched a show on Discovery/History channel having to do with bad disasters or mega explosions and something similar happened years back. I think in the States but could have been in England. Any way as best I remember the gas lines had been leaking into the ground for years and saturated the ground and when when the spark from a jackhammer if I remember correctly set it of it went bomb big time.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #13
kyosai

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy-P7 View Post
This sounds very terrifying to go through... My thoughts go to those affected by it firsthand.

If it can launch a car three stories up... Quite an explosion.
I know!!! Just looking at that picture is mind blowing. How long that street is that all went up. I couldn't imagine seeing an explosion like that. Cars landing on couple story roofs.

I know the human body is remarkable when it comes to trauma, but I mean honestly... being blasted to the roof of a 4 story building... unbelievable! I can't fathom the force it released to launch even a car a few stories up.

They said there is a dash can that caught the explosion before the camera got hit by debris. Anyone seen it?
Old 08-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #14
kyosai

Dash cam of the explosion

Last edited by kyosai: 08-01-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #15
MADDOGGE

Quote:
Dash cam of the explosion

A lot bigger than I thought it was. Looks like a whole freaking pipeline blew. I thought it was just I one spot.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic