Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Publisher & Developer Discussions > Ubisoft

Old 07-27-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
Batuhan27

Ubisoft is working on a new anti-piracy solution

Ubisoft is working on a new anti-piracy solution for pc games.

http://kotaku.com/5323863/ubisoft-pl...lace-this-year

"Altogether on console, the piracy is low," Guillemot said. "On the PC the piracy is quite a lot. We are working on a tool that would allow us to decrease that on the PC starting next year and probably one game this year."

Guillemot didn't say what that solution would be, but it since he talked about it as if it were a new tool and not an existing form of digital rights management, like SecuRom, it stands to reason that it may be an internal solution.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:39 AM   #2
FuuKuy

Hopefully UBi decides to use STEAMworks...
FuuKuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:27 AM   #3
Chapa9dj

I guess they are working in a new DRM that is going to protect the second DRM which is going to also protect the main DRM to prevent being cracked
Sarcasm off.

Well, i really hope they leave that behind and start using Steamwork.
I think it's the only acceptable DRM at the moment.
Chapa9dj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
Aetius

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuuKuy View Post
Hopefully UBi decides to use STEAMworks...
Steam games can be pirated too. Those savvy pirates know no bounds it seems...
Aetius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
TwwIX

This constant idiocy will only encourage more people to pirate their games.
Make quality and innovative games instead of pumping out the same with a new paint job.
Learn to communicate with your communities, for s sake. jarate poor community relations and idiotic decisions such as this are decreasing your sales, not piracy.
These idiots could learn a thing or two from Valve.
TwwIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
Simbot

This is why people stay away from Ubisoft games.
Simbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
linfosoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapa9dj View Post
I guess they are working in a new DRM that is going to protect the second DRM which is going to also protect the main DRM to prevent being cracked
lol! Also, console games have low piracy? I want whatever they are smoking.

Hopefully this won´t be an incredibly anoying or intrusive solution.
linfosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:02 PM   #8
Papa Midnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by linfosoma View Post
Hopefully this won´t be an incredibly anoying or intrusive solution.
Dream on. Everyone knows DRM only makes it hell for actual consumers while pirates sail free with cracked executables.
Papa Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:44 PM   #9
neuromancer

I have lots of friends that have 360s. When one of them buys a game they swap discs and they all end up playing one copy. Yet in magical Ubisoft-world that's not piracy... only downloading a PC version from the internet is piracy. bags...
neuromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:52 AM   #10
jor

New Ubisoft DRM method: no PC release!

They first tested this with the Prince of Persia Epilogue DLC, and indeed no-one on the PC was able to pirate it. Since that test was successful, they're adopting it for all future releases.

Of course this will lead to a slight loss in sales as no PC users will buy it at all, but since all PC users are bloody pirates anyway, that's no big loss.</sarcasm>
jor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #11
wexer9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post
New Ubisoft DRM method: no PC release!

They first tested this with the Prince of Persia Epilogue DLC, and indeed no-one on the PC was able to pirate it. Since that test was successful, they're adopting it for all future releases.

Of course this will lead to a slight loss in sales as no PC users will buy it at all, but since all PC users are bloody pirates anyway, that's no big loss.
Spoken like a true Ubisoft executive.
wexer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:28 PM   #12
TempS

Interesting. I'll reserve judgment until I see it though.
TempS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #13
joelegecko

If you consider the first month of its release Assassin's Creed sold around 35,000 copies ( US ) while there was an estimated 750,000 illegal downloads ( North America ) during the same period of time, avoiding the PC platform would indeed be the best option. I play only on PC so I'd love to see more PC games but PC players want cheaper games and free support while they represent the lowest amount of sales

Even though I don't like to be milked like a cow, we are startingto see the consequences of the childish behaviour of many many PC users. They told us piracy wasn't that hard for publishers and that it wasn't that big a deal. Well, it is, since some games have already been canceled on that platform. and that is the problem: this is the platform offering the biggest amount of sales possible but people are so s*t*u*p*i*d and so used to piracy ( many brag about it proudly on game developer forums ) the sales are just...bad.

Right now, I just feel lucky if a game is available on PC. You gonna tell me games should be cheaper. Guess what, some people wouldn't buy a game, even if it was sold for $1. Now, I hate DRM and I think it is only pushing people to get a copy they won't have issues with. But you can't blame them for trying to protect their investment
joelegecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #14
TempS

I don't blame game developers or publishers for wanting to protect their investment. Some DRM methods seem more reasonable than others. Steam is ok with me. The ones I have a problem with are the more annoying ones like SecuROM.
TempS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #15
Goteki-45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Midnight View Post
Dream on. Everyone knows DRM only makes it hell for actual consumers while pirates sail free with cracked executables.
I know. The Steam DRM is such trouble. I don't know why I continue to support it by buying games from them.
Goteki-45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Publisher & Developer Discussions > Ubisoft