Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Saints Row 2

Old 07-31-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
Central

Windows 7 and Saint's Row 2

Despite what others have said, I love this game to death.
It's fun, its engaging, it's what GTAIV should have been.

Whereas GTA IV took a left turn on the corner of gritty and realistic, Saint's Row 2 took the highway to Funtown (Which really isn't all that bad. Just a different direction), in comparison.

Now, not to bash GTA IV, it's a great game (I wasted many nights playing through it - still do once in awhile) but it got too far into the realistic scene to be of any use - that and your cash is entirely, utterly, and totally useless for anything but guns and clothes (And even then, it's quite easy to get those things for ten times less than you have about five hours into the game) and you end up with a billion dollars with nothing to spend it on.

On the flip-side, Saint's Row 2 gives you a ton of things to do with your cash - cars, guns, clothes, hideouts, stores... And you actually get to SEE your empire grow somewhat - I personally love having the bodyguard style people running around with me. Makes me feel important. Ahaha...Ha. Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

Windows 7.
I'm playing on their release-candidate, build 7100. This is the final build before the retail release - this is pretty much 100% retail.

As for the people at 'Volition Inc.', this is the first game I have purchased from them. All things considered, yes, it's a frustratingly poor port from Xbox 360/PlayStation 3, but I'm a hardcore PC gamer, and I'll eat glass before I go out and buy something for my Xbox 360 before I buy it for the PC (Save for certain games - looking at you, Halo.) I love Steam, and I love the service it provides - I never have to worry about scratching up my CDs or losing the CD-keys again, I just have to log in, and download!

Ah, I seem to be sidetracking again - let's avoid that till I get to the point, shall we?

Windows 7 appears to have a bug with it with Saint's Row 2. Primarily, everything runs in fast-forward, as if someone changed the time from '1.0' to '1.5'. Now, this doesn't necessarily make the game UNPLAYABLE, but, it does make it very, very difficult to drive. The driving mechanics in this game weren't very good to begin with - keyboard presses give you a full left-or-right lockup of the wheel, and you have to adjust for that. Not impossible, but you can do it. But with this speed problem going on with windows 7, you're essentially playing with a car that travels with little inertia, and can turn on a dime at the slightest touch. Suffice to say, crashes are going to happen a whole lot more with me and I won't be able to do a thing about it.

Back to my tangent, those people at Volition Inc. thought it so nice as to tell me 'We don't support beta software'. That's all fine and good, yes, but you could have said 'Oh, we're working on that problem. Here's a possible solution for you'. Instead of just waiting for people to GET the problem, why not fix it beforehand? Ah, but they may be doing that. It could have just been they wont officially tell one way or another till Windows 7 is retail.

Till then, I, sadly, have to put this game on the back-burner till they fix the problem. I don't see any way for me to go about it any other way. Le-sigh.

Oh, also, shame on you for not giving us the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 Downloadable Content! Shame!
Old 08-01-2009, 01:53 AM   #2
raduque

Did you run it on the RC? I'm still on 7100 and not having any issues like that. I won't know about it till August, anyway.

Does your system clock run fast? Maybe it's a bios/w7 rtm bug in general, not just a SR2/W7 rtm bug?
Old 08-01-2009, 05:32 AM   #3
Central

7100 IS the Release-Candidate.

System clock is fine,and RTM would bork up other games I play. So far, SR2 is the only game that runs 'fast' for me.

This seems to be a common occurrence, if you sift through forums for SR2.

Volition has dropped the PC support almost entirely though - they won't even release any more patches.

Last edited by Central: 08-01-2009 at 05:35 AM.
Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
raduque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central View Post
7100 IS the Release-Candidate.
No, I know it is. I was asking if you ran it on the RC because I'm still runnign the RC and not seeing the issue.

Quote:
System clock is fine,and RTM would bork up other games I play. So far, SR2 is the only game that runs 'fast' for me.

This seems to be a common occurrence, if you sift through forums for SR2.

Volition has dropped the PC support almost entirely though - they won't even release any more patches.
I guess that for your PC and the others with the issue, W7 RTM handles the RTC in a way that SR2 is sensitive to, which causes it to
run "sped up".

And yea, it's unfortunate that there's no more support from Volition.... maybe we should be ing to Demurige or whatever that handled the port?
Old 09-13-2009, 07:41 AM   #5
Wheezle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central View Post
Instead of just waiting for people to GET the problem, why not fix it beforehand? Ah, but they may be doing that. It could have just been they wont officially tell one way or another till Windows 7 is retail.
They have no intention of supporting Windows 7 either before or after it goes retail.
Wheezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
freibooter

Cool

Just turn off the in-game music and play "Yakety Sax" as an endless loop in the background: fixed!
freibooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:09 PM   #7
Asai

win7 and SR2

Not to be the wet blanket here but i play SR2 on win7 and the game plays fine, even better than it did on XP32. The issue you are having with the speed maybe related to something other than the OS but who knows. Good luck i hope you figure it out, because aside from the bugs with this game it is probably the most fun i have had in a PC game for along time.

Asai
Asai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:10 AM   #8
Wheezle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asai View Post
Not to be the wet blanket here but i play SR2 on win7 and the game plays fine, even better than it did on XP32. The issue you are having with the speed maybe related to something other than the OS but who knows. Good luck i hope you figure it out, because aside from the bugs with this game it is probably the most fun i have had in a PC game for along time.

Asai
I'm sure there are exceptions as with any issue, but all you need to do is a little searching to find it's almost certainly an issue with Windows 7. Out of interest, are you running 32bit or 64bit win7?

I see Volition have deleted my post on the SR2 forums. Just goes to show the contempt with which they treat their PC customers. I wish I could refund my steam purchase.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:06 AM   #9
spyrochaete

I'm playing on Win7 Ultimate RTM build 7600 x86 and I don't see any speed-up errors on my side. I've only played about an hour so far but aside from the crappy optimization it runs alright.
spyrochaete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:09 AM   #10
Wheezle

Interesting. Maybe it is x64 related.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:37 PM   #11
Vulcan Logic

I run Vista Ultimate x64 with SR2, and not a bug to be had in my view. I trust that Windows 7 Ultimate x64 will be no different.
Vulcan Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:17 AM   #12
xD34THx

I got fast forward mode once also. I messed with launch options, but I can't remember what exactly caused it.
Game ran smoothly then(Fraps reported over 500FPS ), even tho I usually get 10-25FPS.
So it proves that I could run the game just fine if it wouldn't of been such a crappy port.

32bit Vista here.
xD34THx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:03 PM   #13
Asai

system specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheezle View Post
I'm sure there are exceptions as with any issue, but all you need to do is a little searching to find it's almost certainly an issue with Windows 7. Out of interest, are you running 32bit or 64bit win7?

I see Volition have deleted my post on the SR2 forums. Just goes to show the contempt with which they treat their PC customers. I wish I could refund my steam purchase.
I am currently running SR2 on this rig and by todays standards its an antique. I have yet to have a problem with any game i have tried to play since i put win 7 on about 3 months ago. I used to run this box on xp32 and the differene between the 2 operating systems is about 10 to 15 percent improvment on frame rate.

Here are the specs
OS win 7 build 7100 64 bit
Intel retail 2.4 core 2 quad (Q6600)
Asus mainboard x38 chipset
onboard sound and network
Kingston ram 4gb ddr2 ram
BFG 8800 gtx oc2 768mb
Western digital Caviar 320gb drive with 16 mb cache

Game settings and there are a few i use. Going by my fraps frame rate counter i will supply the frames per sec along with the settings depending on what happening in the game. The only thing i change is the resolution so these stats are given with ALL the goodies set as high as they will go and Anti Aliasing is 4x and Anti Stropic filtering is 16x.

On foot buying clothes, doing non driving missions, cop or gang fights up to 5 notariety i can get about 30 to 35 fps at 1600 x 1200 resolution.

Driving missions or anything involving a car, the really fast ones in particular i set the resolution to 1280 x 1024 and i get about 35 to 45 fps, i still get the occasional hitch when changing zones in the city but it is not enough to cause me to crash.

In any multiplayer game hosting or joining i set my resolution to 1024 x 768, what i have noticed is that the frame rate will bounce around quite a bit, i very rarely will get below 30 fps generally i get anywhere from 30 fps to as high as 65 fps depending on what i am doing or the other player is doing. I have noticed that it seems that most of the players i have run into during coop play all seem to load way slower than i do. The driving of other people in the game is terrible, and i am pretty sure that what i am seeing is the performance of their machines even for folks who have completed the game, so it is not a lack of skill i presume but a lack of hardware.

A side note i am pretty entrenched in the SR2 official forums, and from what i have been hearing is that Volition will not be supporting win 7 with a patch. But in reality who knows what will happen, the folks at Volition seem to be relativly reasonable but as they are not really pushing the game the support for it will probably drop off. That is to be expected and is imho based on 15 plus years of PC gaming is pretty standard. There is a healty mod community taking root, and these folks are offering some interesting things. All in all bugs are in every game and even GTA4 which i own was a nightmare for some folks when it came out, since i found SR2 i havent been back to GTA 4 as compaired to SR2 its become a BTDT got a tee shirt kinda thing.

Asai
Asai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:26 AM   #14
Tumdace

Im having the same speed-up issue. Is there a way I can file for a refund? I bought it for $7.50 during that special sale, but if its not going to be supported in Windows 7 or I cant even play it in normal speed, I want my money back.
Tumdace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:45 AM   #15
linfosoma

Hi there, it seems I was able to solve this issue by enabling V-Sync (which limits my FPS to 60), but it's hard to compare since the problem is kinda subtle. Try it out and let me know if it improved for you.

9600 GT (190.62 drivers)
2 GB Ram @ 1066 hz.
Phenom II 720 x3 Black edition.
Windows 7 (RC 7100)

Game runs on max settings, including 4x antialiasing and ambient oclussion, it only stutters when Im driving too fast but Im gonna blame my RAM.
linfosoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Saints Row 2