Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Red Faction series

Old 08-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
Goober

Red Faction (1 & 2) Bug Fixes

There is now a full FAQ for running Red Faction & Red Faction II on Steam. Please, if you have any problems with these game, post below and we will help you.

You can view the FAQ here: RF1 & RF2 Steam FAQ

----------

Hi guys, if you buy RF1 or 2 on Steam, you're going to have quite a few bugs. I highly recommend that if you plan on playing RF1, you download Pure Faction. It's a third-party patch which should remove all the bugs you experience as well as add quite a bit of new functionality.

Running Red Faction 2 you will likely be faced with an error stating "You must have at least 8MB of available VRAM to play Red Faction II". Assuming you do have at least 8MB of VRAM, you will need to download this patch to be able to launch the game. This problem is also in Red Faction 1, but is already fixed by Pure Faction.

If anyone has any further problems running either of these two games, please post here and I'll do my best to solve them. We (the RF community) over the years have developed patches to pretty much every bug you might face running these two games.

Have fun with Red Faction & Red Faction II!

EDIT: Updated to add link to the Steam-compatible Red Faction 2 patch.

EDIT2: Updated to include link to full FAQ.

Last edited by Goober: 08-08-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
Killz2much

Hey, do you know if Red Faction II will work on my PC? It says DirectX 10 Nvidia cards aren't supported.
Killz2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
Goober

I haven't personally tested RFII on a DX10 Nvidia card - but I do know that stock RF1 has strange graphical issues on any Nvidia 8 series cards or any card released since then.

I'll ask around and see if I can get a more accurate answer for you. In the meantime though, RF1 *should* run without any issues as long as you grab Pure Faction.
Goober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #4
Killz2much

Any card released after the 8 series? I'll keep in mind over the patch, maybe it works fine on the GTX series.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #5
Goober

Any Nvidia cards since & including the 8 series, I mean. As far as I know, there are no bugs with ATI cards.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
Stixsworld

You know I just bought Red Faction and installed the Pure Faction patch...

Guess what?

It does not work at all...

I get the launch menu and I set everything up as I want and then when I click launch game...I get this crap:
Quote:
Error: Unable to initialize DirectX 8.0!
File: C:\PROJECTS\RF_PC\vsdk\directx\gr_direct3d.cpp - Line 1800

A critical error has occured and the program cannot continue.
Press OK to exit the program
---Stixsmaster
Stixsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:20 PM   #7
StingingVelvet

I was so excited for this deal, but I want to make sure the games work on new systems... doesn't seem like that is the case so far. Bummer.
StingingVelvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #8
Zubren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixsworld View Post
You know I just bought Red Faction and installed the Pure Faction patch...

Guess what?

It does not work at all...

I get the launch menu and I set everything up as I want and then when I click launch game...I get this crap:

---Stixsmaster
PureFaction does not work with the Steam Overlay. You'll have to launch PureFaction directly. Without PureFaction, the game crashes the instant I pick up a weapon, but PureFaction fixed that. Unfortunately it doesn't count as a Steam game while playing
Zubren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #9
Joe Molotov

Valve really needs to exert more quality control over these older games. Publishers should not be allowed to release games on Steam that don't work on recent systems and/or aren't Vista/XP compatible. If you can't even be arsed to get your game working on systems less than 5 years old, then you should just give it away, not charge $10 for it and hope the fan community can fix it for you. It's not the first time it's happened, and it's ridiculous.
Joe Molotov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:06 PM   #10
Stixsworld

Huh weird...I can play RF perfectly fine without Pure Faction...and with steam overlay...

I also just got RF2...so yea...

---Stixsmaster
Stixsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:19 PM   #11
Killz2much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixsworld View Post
Huh weird...I can play RF perfectly fine without Pure Faction...and with steam overlay...

I also just got RF2...so yea...

---Stixsmaster
What graphics card do you have?
Old 08-06-2009, 06:41 PM   #12
enablerbr

so whose responible for the RF1 and RF2 release. surely they could have made an effort to at least patch the vram issue for the Steam release. thanks to this thread confirming it hasn't been fixed. i won't be buying them.
enablerbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #13
Puggsy

Banned
Right out of the gate, when launching RF2
this pops up. GRR!!
Puggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:12 PM   #14
Goober

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggsy View Post
Right out of the gate, when launching RF2
this pops up. GRR!!
Wow. It's pathetic that THQ could re-release something THAT broken.

Having said that, I shouldn't expect any more from a company that still (9 years later) hasn't fixed the very basic of cheat holes; the fact that you can edit a txt file and fly through walls... in any official version server.

@Stixsworld: Run the game in "Stretched" mode or "Windowed" mode, should fix that problem.

Yes, as long as you don't have any of those bugs, you can play the game perfectly fine, but as a long-time community member I'd like to say that due to the insane amount of serious security holes in any official version of RF1, I'd HIGHLY recommend not playing it unless you've got Pure Faction. Feel free to play without it of course (if you can that is... most users won't be able to due to bugs) but I'd recommend against it.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:26 PM   #15
Scavar

So Red Faction 1 works perfectly fine for me, Red Faction II on the other hand doesn't. I've tried the VRAM fix linked here, but it doesn't seem to work for me at all. I'm Vista 64bit with an nVidia 8800GTX.

Any other ideas, or possible idea of perhaps me doing something incorrectly?(It was pretty simple so I don't know how I could be)
Scavar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Red Faction series