Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Community Content / Contribution Project > Art / Videos

Old 09-01-2009, 03:22 PM   #151
Cosmic M

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawg View Post
Just install it. if CCCP does not show up then install klite.
I installed both and got nothing
Cosmic M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:58 PM   #152
Kuiper

Quote:
I got this to work once but I had to hit startmovie command but it was at beginning of the demo if I do it 15 min. into the demo I experience problems I am uploading the video of my problem.

EDIT: heres what happens when I start the startmovie command 15 min. in the .dem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfTBfr-WOCY

Here is my results when I record beginning of a demo file.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-WSZoW2H8o
This is a very bizarre problem that I've never seen before. The only thing I can think of as a potential cause would be your video drivers--try updating them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic M View Post
Maybe just get the xvid codec on its own?
Kuiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:00 PM   #153
R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic M View Post
CCCP and KLite aren't codecs...They're codec Packs containing the codecs. Codecs that you should see are VP60 VP70 XviD X264/AVC Divx Uncompressed And few other rare ones

Quote:
I got this to work once but I had to hit startmovie command but it was at beginning of the demo if I do it 15 min. into the demo I experience problems I am uploading the video of my problem.

EDIT: heres what happens when I start the startmovie command 15 min. in the .dem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfTBfr-WOCY

Are your files going past 4gb? AVi containers have problems when they exceed a certain file size.

You might want to try the .tga or the Startmovie (without Avi) command...

Quote:
Well it did not give me a codec option I have K lite installed :/
Run Tf2 in windowed mode. The codec selection window is a seperate window independent from tf2.

Last edited by R: 09-01-2009 at 04:06 PM.
R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #154
Crest

Quote:
Originally Posted by R View Post
Are your files going past 4gb? AVi containers have problems when they exceed a certain file size.
I learned to never use AVI for source anymore. I Always do TGA.

Also when I did testing, I found that you're videos should be no more than 1.8gb each. Past 2gb they start to corrupt, past 4 and the entire file is unreadable.
Crest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:36 PM   #155
ProXymoron

Quote:

I have the problem expressed in the first video when I use the startmovie avi command. How would you be able to work with TGA files?
ProXymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:20 PM   #156
Crest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProXymoron View Post
I have the problem expressed in the first video when I use the startmovie avi command. How would you be able to work with TGA files?
Startmovie is the main command, you put either "avi" or "Raw" to denominate which dump process you want. 'AVI' obviously is the .avi type, 'raw' is a tga sequence. I'd recommend you put steam on your largest&fastest drive for that since it will take a good bit of harddrive space to dump. I got two WD 640 Blues in RAID0 that I record onto. That HL2 video I posted was about 650gb when done.

Crest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:31 AM   #157
adawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by R View Post
CCCP and KLite aren't codecs...They're codec Packs containing the codecs. Codecs that you should see are VP60 VP70 XviD X264/AVC Divx Uncompressed And few other rare ones

You might want to try the .tga or the Startmovie (without Avi) command...

Run Tf2 in windowed mode. The codec selection window is a seperate window independent from tf2.
actually they are going passed 4.00 gb =.=
adawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:13 AM   #158
Lefty Loosy

Is there no way to render a video while having TF2 minimized?
Lefty Loosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:42 AM   #159
Unnah

when i choose the codec and shut down the console my came just crashes, what to do
Unnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #160
Nick (Mauler)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTyperShark View Post
This information is easy to find, and a lot of people know about, and use it. You really shouldn't need to make a thread about this stuff, because of how easily accessible this information is, but I'm glad you did.
I have no clue how so many people are in the dark about the Source Recorder. Hopefully this thread will get more people using it, and this really deserves a sticky. Yes, its just the basics, and there are a lot more advanced functions not mentioned here, but this is great for the people who aren't aware of, or do not know much about the Source Recorder.
I do want to point out, however, that this tool is not Team Fortress 2 exclusive. People can, and need to, use this with other Source games.
+rep.
yes nearly everybody knows u can record demos......but recording in avi format using source recorder most peeps dont know about.
Nick (Mauler) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:31 AM   #161
Unnah

My game crashes with Xvid codec, DivX codecs do nothing and FFDSHOW codec has got very poor quality. :/
Unnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #162
cassowary

this needs to be stickied, rep to you good sir!
cassowary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #163
Kuiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Loosy View Post
Is there no way to render a video while having TF2 minimized?
Run the game in windowed mode and you can have other windows on top of it. The window will still technically be open (not minimized) but you won't see or hear it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unnah View Post
when i choose the codec and shut down the console my came just crashes, what to do
I don't know precisely what your problem is but I'd recommend running the game in windowed mode. That or you could try reinstalling your codecs. The issue could also be that you can't write to the folder that the game stores the video file in because you lack the proper permissions. (Are you using Vista?)
Quote:
My game crashes with Xvid codec, DivX codecs do nothing and FFDSHOW codec has got very poor quality. :/
In that case you can try a TGA sequence. Just omit "avi" from the "startmovie" line. I recommend virtualdub for working with the TGA sequence when you're done recording.
Kuiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:06 PM   #164
Tetra

Quote:
I'm have the same problem. I'm on Vista and I've tried starting both steam and TF2 up as administrator and it continues to crash. Are there any other codecs that are worth trying?

I tried just using the uncompressed version but the video comes out to be a ridiculous size, etc. Any advice?
Tetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:24 PM   #165
Le Duc De GuiSe

lol I'm still getting rep for my post here? well thx guys
Le Duc De GuiSe is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Community Content / Contribution Project > Art / Videos