Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Call of Duty World at War

Old 08-13-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
Yerolo

Cod WaW: Cannot Connect to Online Service {Solved}

Hi guys

I just bought WaW the other day via steam, Singleplayer works perfectly, but I cannot play multiplayer at all. When I launch the Multiplayer portion it starts with:

"Retrieving Account Information....." and then it times out with
"Cannot Connect to Online Service"

Trying to create an online profile generates the same error.

Doing some google research I have tried all of the following:

* In the profiles directory (\AppData\Local\Activision\CoDWaW\players\profiles ) I created a folder and edited active.txt and added this name. It always creates a folder called $$$ as the default profile

* I have added CoDWaW.exe and CoDWaWmp.exe to the firewall exceptions list (Found in Steam\SteamApps\common\call of duty world at war). Failing that I turned off the Firewall completely...and also stopped the Firewall service.

* UAC is turned off

* I changed the properties of CoDWaW.exe, CoDWaWmp.exe & Steam.exe to run in 'administrator mode' in compatibility tab (No idea why I'd need to do this, as my acct is in the admin group)

* I then turned to port forwarding being the issue, so far I have tried forwarding the following ports without any success:

UDP: 20800, 20810, 28960 - 28970, 3478, 3479, 3074, 3075
TCP: 80, 443, 3074, 5223, 2960

* I turned off the firewall features completely on my router .. no success

* I tried adding my local IP address to the DMZ zone ... no success

* I have tried updating the Punkbuster to version 3.4 .. no success

I am pretty much at the end of the line, is Mutliplayer just broken in WaW ?

PS Windows Vista SP1

Last edited by Yerolo: 01-07-2010 at 03:30 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:21 PM   #2
Gremmie

Multiplayer isn't broken, it works fine for lots of people.

Sounds like you have tried most everything. Something is blocking your game from the internet. Have you tried bypassing your router and putting your PC right on the internet?
Gremmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
Gremmie

The Activision support entry for this problem is here.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
Yerolo

Thanks for the reply Gremmie, but I already knew about that support entry, which is why I went down the avenue of forwarding ports. All the other things it lists are no applicable to me....I dont have any software which could be blocking it (every other multiplayer game works fine, its just WaW)

Its not possible for me to connect directly to the internet bypassing the router as my device is a modem-router in one, and like I said, I disabled all Firewall options on the router and still couldnt connect to their server.

Im almost at the point of giving up, but I came here and posted as a last resort
Yerolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:56 PM   #5
Gremmie

That's a bummer. Do you know someone who has a cable modem / router you could try?
Old 09-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
azreil1

I have this exact issue any info?
azreil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
DoA-Prophet

same thing here I have done all that, reinstalled 4 times, and have hit every site u can amagine for info... and man this happens to allot of peeps. I have been playing codwaw since day 1, i have disk, with cd key, vista 32, and ran beutifully till friday night, when i went to install 1.5... i have the port forwarding cause i was hosting some zombie games... but ya I have post at activision, call of duty. com, and 3-4 other places and have a team of about 6-8 people now collectivly trying to find a reason, and an answer for this... trust me if sumn workz I am going to post it...

good luck, god speed...

I will be p*ssed if cant fix this before map pack 3, but that time of yr that other games come out.. still sucks lossing $50 think tryarch should change there salution.. or look into it again...

OH YA I DONT HAVE STEAM, well not for codwaw, i only have it for L4D.. so its not steam related hehe...

I did just take off my router, and see if i could connect just with modem but i have to fiqure out how much i have to change to get it to work... at least with it of router it acted like it wanted to work, just told me couldnt connect to online services... so i will try again..

Ok did it just on modem ssame darn thing... so not a security, or port issue... leaves game, and ISP..

Last edited by DoA-Prophet: 09-16-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:16 PM   #8
davidsneade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yerolo View Post
* In the profiles directory (\AppData\Local\Activision\CoDWaW\players\profiles ) I created a folder and edited active.txt and added this name. It always creates a folder called $$$ as the default profile
Maybe changing the $$$ to your multiplayer name? If that's the only profile folder, then try that. whatever your online name is, rename the $$$ to that.
davidsneade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:31 PM   #9
Yerolo

I was hoping the new 1.6 update would fix this issue .... but no

davidsneade: This doesn't work as I cant create an online profile in the first place, If I try to force it to use one it just fails with the same usual error msg about not being able to connect

Ive pretty much given up on this issue and moved onto other games...but good to see this topic is being bumped, if it gets solved...bonus
Old 09-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #10
DoA-Prophet

ya

still going in convo with activision now..not that means anything but i have been on this for 8 solid days...

I have tried dav... cahnging the $$$ but it just makes anouther $$$ when u try to connect... I have even gone to the replacing the .TXT file completely with the actice file...in it has $$$ it comes back like a bad case of crabs...lmao

Last edited by DoA-Prophet: 09-19-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:07 PM   #11
DoA-Prophet

still working on it day 15... found couple errors in console..

"ui_mp/patch_menus.txt"

bdauthservice: create account returns error 109
Old 09-27-2009, 02:09 PM   #12
Yeti73

I've been having this same problem for a couple of weeks now too. I've been trying to talk with Activision support, but they just keep giving me the same crap about opening my ports that they seem to be telling everyone. They refuse to acknowledge that the problem is with the servers or the game itself.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:18 PM   #13
DoA-Prophet

ya im tryn to keep peeps informed of anything, theres just nothing yet

here is some info i got today yeti, i have finally gotn them to point that they understand they have a problem...

from activion..something i did today and still didnt work..

Hello,

What kind of internet connection are you using for your internet service? Are you using a home, school or office connection? We are going to have to look at your direct X information in order to figure this problem out. Please do the following:

1) Click on the Start button > Run. (Windows Key + R brings up the box)
2) In the box type: dxdiag
3) Click the OK button.
4) DirectX Diagnostic Tool will open, click the Save All Information button at the bottom.
5) Save the dxdiag.txt file to your desktop. NOTE: Skip to step 9 if you are already logged in to your Activision account
6) Login to your account at http://activision.custhelp.com. (Select the Activision link under the welcome banner.)
7) Click My Stuff and then click Questions. (Login with your e-mail address, leave the password field blank.)
8) Find your current incident and click on it under the Subject column.
9) Click Update Question.
10) Under Attach Additional Documents to Question you will see a Browse button. Click that and browse your computer for the Dxdiag on your desktop. When you locate the file, double click on it.
11) Once the file appears as attached, you can now enter any additional information about your Incident in the Results and/or Additional Information field.
12) Click Submit Update to Question to send the Dxdiag

and heres todays...

You may have conflicting programs running in the background, shutdown your background programs using the following procedure:

Windows will have some programs pre loading without prompting you. You can use the system configuration utility in Windows XP and Windows Vista to tell windows not to pre-load these background programs that can interfere with the game.

1. Go to your start button and select RUN and in the box labeled OPEN type MSCONFIG and press the OK button. (Windows Key + R brings up the box)
2. Click on the tab that reads SERVICES
3. Check the box that reads "Hide all Microsoft Services"
4. Click on the button that reads "DISABLE ALL"
5. Now click on the tab that reads START UP.
6. Click on the button the reads "DISABLE ALL" and press the OK button. Windows will prompt you to restart the system.
7. Once windows restarts then you may get a message that the SELECTIVE STARTUP has been used.
8. Just close the message box. Now try the game.

Please note that this method will shut down all background applications including your virus scanning software. If you wish to restore your background programs/services, you can select the "Enable All" option instead of the disable all option in the msconfig operation. Make sure that you do not disable PunkBuster as PunkBuster is required on most online servers. If the issue persists for you, please send us an updated dxdiag file of your system.

I am right now, uninstalling my cod5... i went today and picked up my brothers disk, im gonna install, and put in my cd-key... just to check, i have been thru all the motions after this it is gonna be up to activision.. cause im outta straws...

just keep chking if i get it ill post it..
Old 09-29-2009, 03:23 AM   #14
Yerolo

Sounds like Activision have NFI what the cause or solution is.

FWIW I tried disabling all non MS services and startup items and it didnt fix it for me
Old 09-30-2009, 06:13 AM   #15
Yeti73

Yerolo, I got that exact same message from Activision too and it didn't help me either. I'm starting to realize how worthless their customer support is.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Call of Duty World at War