Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Space Siege

Old 08-31-2009, 12:30 AM   #1
alastairuk

Exception Detected

I got this game by pre-ordering Alpha Protocol downloaded it but when i try to run it i get a message saying Exception Detected with the background all black and it says something something this could take a few minutes then the message dissapears and the program becomes non responsive does anyone know how to fix this?.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:34 AM   #2
Crusader

Banned
I'm getting the same error, same situation, a fix would be nice.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:16 AM   #3
tom_cairns

Me too Anybody got any ideas?
Old 09-03-2009, 02:28 AM   #4
Crusader

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_cairns View Post
Me too Anybody got any ideas?
I don't think anyone around here does, all I ever see on Steam's forums are people with issues and never anyone with answers.

It's rather annoying, at this rate we'd all be better off going back to retail. Sigh, at least I got this for free with Alpha Protocol, now that's a game that better bloody work.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:13 AM   #5
alastairuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
I don't think anyone around here does, all I ever see on Steam's forums are people with issues and never anyone with answers.

It's rather annoying, at this rate we'd all be better off going back to retail. Sigh, at least I got this for free with Alpha Protocol, now that's a game that better bloody work.
Yeah I'm not too bothered as long as Alpha Protocol works but It would be nice to have Space Siege Working to help pass the time till Alpha is released
alastairuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:32 PM   #6
Crusader

Banned
Exclamation Maybe this is the issue? Anyone with the problem not using ATI?

Well, I've got it working, but only for my laptop.

Since it has Nvidia PhysX in this and is "The Way it's Meant to be Played", it's no surprise that my main rig (HD4890/4870 Crossfire) doesn't play the game, yet my Nvidia M9600GT does, both similar setups in specs and software.

So I'm assuming it's an issue with ATI cards, unless one or more of you guys has Nvidia, then my idea just goes out the window lol.

Keep in mind I did nothing special to get it to work on my laptop, simply copied over the files from main, filled in the pieces via Steam and it worked fine. The game might NEED Nvidia's PhysX to actually play in some(most) cases, so naturally it wouldn't run too well if at all on ATI cards.

To sum that up; perhaps SS completely NEEDS PhysX, and without it cannot run. This is only mere speculation right now though, so don't go abusing me of lying or w/e.

Just my 2c.

Cru.

Last edited by Crusader: 09-03-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:35 AM   #7
alastairuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Well, I've got it working, but only for my laptop.

Since it has Nvidia PhysX in this and is "The Way it's Meant to be Played", it's no surprise that my main rig (HD4890/4870 Crossfire) doesn't play the game, yet my Nvidia M9600GT does, both similar setups in specs and software.

So I'm assuming it's an issue with ATI cards, unless one or more of you guys has Nvidia, then my idea just goes out the window lol.

Keep in mind I did nothing special to get it to work on my laptop, simply copied over the files from main, filled in the pieces via Steam and it worked fine. The game might NEED Nvidia's PhysX to actually play in some(most) cases, so naturally it wouldn't run too well if at all on ATI cards.

To sum that up; perhaps SS completely NEEDS PhysX, and without it cannot run. This is only mere speculation right now though, so don't go abusing me of lying or w/e.

Just my 2c.

Cru.

ATI here :/
i been planning to change my GFX card for a while (RAdeon x1950) for ages now save up more than i need for a new pc so will probably get a new pc when the next series of gfx cards is released

EDITS* Tried the game on my Dads computer and found the exact same problem

My Speccs His Speccs
ATI X1950 card Geforce 8800 GTS
Dual Core AMD Quad Core Intel (dont know exact models)
RAM 2GB RAM 4GB
O/s XP O/s Vista

these two systems are apparently quite different and I think could mean that ATI is indeed not the cause. Unfortunatly I am no Closer to finding a solution. I think I will investigate Multi-Core Compatability if anyone has any information regarding weather this will only work on a single core please post.

Last edited by alastairuk: 09-04-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:40 PM   #8
Crusader

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastairuk View Post
ATI here :/

I think I will investigate Multi-Core Compatability if anyone has any information regarding weather this will only work on a single core please post.
Bugger.
Well, my main system is a Quad (Intel Q9550) where as my laptop is only a Duel (T9400). As previously stated it works fine on my laptop, and that I did have this game working (non-steam) many months ago while I was still Nvidia (8800GTS 640mb), same CPU I think... it was either the Q9550 or a Q6600, was last year so I can't exactly remember.

I've been Vista for many years (on which it worked while I was Nvidia), am now Windows 7 on both systems so I don't believe it's an OS issue (don't bloody start XP fanboi's).

Either way, this is now a game soley for my laptop (although a decent gaming mouse would be more effective than a Logitech Nano, lol).
Old 10-04-2009, 02:01 AM   #9
Rice-Rocketeer

I've got an NVidia card - 8800 GTX with the latest PhysX drivers installed, and I'm getting the exception error, too.

However...I am running Windows 7. I bet that it's Windows 7.

If I try to launch it in compatibility mode with XP SP2 or SP3, it launches and crashes.

If I try to launch it in compatibility mode with Vista, it gives the same exception error.
Rice-Rocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:06 AM   #10
Rice-Rocketeer

I got it to launch. It might have something to do with the copy protection. If you...erm...uh...find some way to launch the game without copy protection, you might be able to get it working.

Read into that how you will.
Rice-Rocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:10 PM   #11
TwistyMB

I'm running Win XP Pro, with an Nvidia GTX 285, and the latest drivers. I've gotten both an immediate exception detected and a couple of dots in the lower left side of the screen before it just freezes. I've even tried uninstalling PhysX and installing the version that comes with the game, but that just got me a blue screen. I've submitted the crash logs to SEGA but I think I'll probably just have to resign myself to never getting to play Space Siege.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:24 PM   #12
alastairuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistyMB View Post
I'm running Win XP Pro, with an Nvidia GTX 285, and the latest drivers. I've gotten both an immediate exception detected and a couple of dots in the lower left side of the screen before it just freezes. I've even tried uninstalling PhysX and installing the version that comes with the game, but that just got me a blue screen. I've submitted the crash logs to SEGA but I think I'll probably just have to resign myself to never getting to play Space Siege.

yeah that has been the problem with me I'm hoping when I get a new pc in the next month or so it might work on that :P
Old 10-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #13
TwistyMB

And today I tried changing the amount of RAM installed on the machine. No dice. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the version of windows. Some difference between XP service pack 2 and 3. Though I must admit I have no idea what could cause that. I get to build a Windows 7 box next year, maybe it'll work on that...
Old 12-28-2009, 09:52 PM   #14
DurakBlackaxe

I have a vista home 32bit sp2 and i get the same problem

have an GForce 8600GTS

since the retail game has been patched to 1.05 i think i saw on my search, do steam games need to be patched also by us?
Old 12-30-2009, 02:43 PM   #15
Gexter

Took me a while to figure it out. I run 64 bit win 7 on an i7 with an nvidia card aswell. For those in the same boat running win 7 I got it working finally by using the normal win 7 > XP trick. Disable visual themes and desktop composition from the properties of the .exe in compatbility tab.

I am also running it with compatibility with server 03 (Don't ask why its just the final OS i tried before almost giving up). Last but not least is your AV, disable any real time protection going on. I use bitdefender so just enable game mode but for other AV's usually a setting under anti virus section.

Hope that helped some of you. The disabling of the real time protection is what made the exception detected problem disappear.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Space Siege