Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 09-12-2009, 04:58 AM   #1
neoduke007

Exclamation Country selection (with certain restrictions)

Hi,

Now that valve automatically detects what country you are in, it simplifies things, while adding certain issues that could easily be fixed using this suggestion!

Steam needs to have a place in the options to select the country of which steam store you are viewing on Steam.

BUT!!! Here comes the restrictions, you can of course only purchase stuff from a country that your payment details are registered to.

This feature is urgently needed as everytime i go on vacation and such I cant buy anything on the steam store while im on vacation. As my payment details are registered in Belgium and the steam store automatically puts me on the store of the country I am visiting (eg the UK or the USA), due to this it just gives me an error message saying my payment details are registered to Belgium and cannot be used to pay for something on a different country's steam store

By having the selection for the country, you can just have steam automatically ALWAYS log you into the Belgian steam store while abroad, of if you are from the UK or USA you can set it to automatically put you on that steam store no matter where you are!!!

This gets rid of all the current hastles and issues with the steam store regional pricing when people travel.

I really hope to see this feature soon as it shouldnt be that hard to implement even and is urgently needed. Since it can only be used to pay the regional pricing of where you are actually from it also can't be used to get around regional pricing.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:06 AM   #2
cryptodan

Banned
Try using Paypal?
cryptodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:33 AM   #3
neoduke007

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptodan View Post
Try using Paypal?
lol that was using Paypal!!!!!!

the restriction is on Steam not with the payment service :P

I am a bit shocked how little responce this thread has gotten seeing how this is a big issue for ANYONE who travels and wants to get a steam game while abroad!

It does not matter what payment type you choose as in steam you already have to put your payment country and adress, if it is different than the one you are currently in it will not let you buy the game!!!!!!

Thus if they had a country selector on it, you would already be on your belgian or whatever steam shop and it wont be a problem, no matter where you are!!!

COME ON PEOPLE MAKE THIS THREAD ACTIVE IF YOU TRAVEL and have the same problem, steam needs to be aware of this problem and have the simple fix at hand!
neoduke007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
cryptodan

Banned
You can upload funds from your bank account to pay pal and use it. The only time another payment method would be required is if you do not have enough funds to cover the purchases.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #5
Journeyman

Quote:
You can upload funds from your bank account to pay pal and use it. The only time another payment method would be required is if you do not have enough funds to cover the purchases.
The problem is another and i've also experienced it.

It's not about paypal. It's about you be in another country than yours and filling the form for the billing with your home address. Simply Steam refuses to let you buy the game, even if you've the money; only because the billing address isn't in the country where you are actually even if it's your home address.
Journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
cryptodan

Banned
Paypal is an option to by things over seas for people online.

When you select buy via PayPal it uses the address in your paypal account settings.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #7
Journeyman

actually ... NO! when you start buying something it ask the payment and if you select paypal only the credit card part of the form is hidden, the part asking the billing address still remains.
Journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
neoduke007

Quote:
Paypal is an option to by things over seas for people online.

When you select buy via PayPal it uses the address in your paypal account settings.
stop being and ignoring the ACTUAL PROBLEM

STOP SAYING PAYPAL!!!

Seriously its getting on my nerves :P

Its NOTHING to do with paypal, the payment is already refused by Steam BEFORE THE PAYPAL WINDOW OPENS.

Im from belgium, im in scotland now, I ALWAYS USE PAYPAL TO PAY FOR ALL MY PURCHASES ON STEAM.

In belgium, no problem.

But now that im here in Scotland for a while, i wanted to buy a game, i add to cart, choose paypal as payment option, enter my personal info required (country, adress, etc...) that are linked to my paypal account and then click BUY.

This NORMALLY IN BELGIUM will open the Paypal window, BUT AS IM NOT IN BELGIUM steam REJECTS the purchase and refuses to open the paypal window

and says PAYMENT INFO REGISTERED TO DIFFERENT COUNTRY PURCHASE REFUSED.

So would you PLEASE read the ACTUAL PROBLEM and stop bringing paypal up as this imaginary fix all solution, as I AM USING PAYPAL.

I dont know what country you are in, but supposing you live in America, your paypal will be registered to an adress in America, right?

Well now you have probably been using this paypal account to purchase all your games through steam IN AMERICA.

If you now try to come to belgium, steam wont let you use your paypal to buy games while in belgium as you will have typed into steam that your paypal is USA along with your US adress...

There is a way around this problem, but it involves going to your internet browser, going on the steam shop and adding the cc code behind the link.

so http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=be
or for USA http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=us

etc...

but it would be of course a lot easier if you can just set your country in steam and avoid this problem all together.
neoduke007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:26 AM   #9
^_^Bozzy^_^

stop saying paypal to him he already uses that and that is not his problem he is saying it automatically loads up the steam store for the country hes on meaning i cant buy games while hes on holiday abroad.

Yeah i agree with you neoduke2007 although i dont have this problem i have only bought a game off steam ONCE (l4d2) but it does need implementing and i can see how it can cause problems hope steam sorts this for you + hope people realise what this thread is about instead of putting paypal lol
^_^Bozzy^_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:52 PM   #10
ConayR

Same problem here. American CC, American PayPal account, currently in Poland. I don't feel like getting local CC just to be able to pay for a game. Especially since I'm not convinced it would "just work" now that I've been discouraged by the payment system on Steam.

Interestingly the workaround you've posted doesn't work for me - I can change my location to US and both PayPal as well as CC verification work great (no "wrong country" error). But now I get an error on the last step of the process, so the outcome is pretty much the same - no game for me.

This kind of issues reminds me of Xbox Live, which sadly sets pretty much the same sort of hoops for the customers. :/ I understand that taxes, charges, and legal mumbo jumbo are difficult to get right, but one would think someone would figure it out by now. It's not like digital distribution hasn't been around for some time.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:15 PM   #11
xayu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^_^Bozzy^_^ View Post
stop saying paypal to him he already uses that and that is not his problem he is saying it automatically loads up the steam store for the country hes on meaning i cant buy games while hes on holiday abroad.

Yeah i agree with you neoduke2007 although i dont have this problem i have only bought a game off steam ONCE (l4d2) but it does need implementing and i can see how it can cause problems hope steam sorts this for you + hope people realise what this thread is about instead of putting paypal lol
Yeah this is true when I lived in Japan I constantly had to bug my dad to gift me the games coz Steam would not accept that I was using pounds when my IP was Japanese, my cards on Paypal could not be registered to my Japanese address, and so the address boxes in Steam had to be filled in as my UK address full circle becuase my address was UK and because I lived in Japan and had a Japanese IP refused payment. Had to get steam support to allow my IP to use the UK address on the IP I was using unfortunately every time the power went out, which fuses blow a lot in Japan for some reason, my IP would change thus had to submit support ticket after support ticket.
xayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:50 PM   #12
rysabone

As far as I can tell this problem still hasn't been fixed as I'm now experiencing the same thing (in US but from AUS). It's a bit disappointing that not even a moderator has commented on this issue.

I would hope that Steam, with all their emphasis on the "cloud" and a seamless gaming experience would address this. I understand a whole lot of rights and distribution factors influence this issue but surely there is an easy fix out there.

Ah well

UPDATE: I submitted a support ticket and received a reply stating that my IP address was now unblocked and I should now be able to purchase games here. Haven't tested it yet as the game special I was trying to purchase seems to no longer exist. Ergh...

Last edited by rysabone: 05-19-2010 at 04:44 PM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas