Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Space Empires V

Old 09-13-2009, 02:15 AM   #1
warzer

screen flashing during game and menus

The screen flashes white while trying the tutorial or clicking on quickstart menu option. the FAQ says its outdated directx drivers. i am running the 161.19062 drivers.

any one have a fix?
Old 09-19-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
Cerous

Exclamation The Solution

OH YEAH!! I know your frustrations. I found out that setting the game to 16 bit graphics rather than 32 bit fixes the full screen flashes and it GREATLY increases the FPS. Check out my full post here. http://www.spaceempires5.com/en-US/node/6829

The Link will tell you how to fix the FPS but just follow the setting to make it 16 bit graphics and your set.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
Kingpinda

I've tried every tip in the book to get rid of my white flashes. But in full screen I can't get rid of it. I now just use windowed mode and edited the HUDSETTINGS.txt in the data dir to 1920 x 1175. My native res is 1920 x 1200 so i tweaked a bit to get the entire screen showing since in windowed mode you get the top bar showing offcourse.

Now thank god all white flickering is gone.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:15 AM   #4
Kraeth

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpinda View Post
I've tried every tip in the book to get rid of my white flashes. But in full screen I can't get rid of it. I now just use windowed mode and edited the HUDSETTINGS.txt in the data dir to 1920 x 1175. My native res is 1920 x 1200 so i tweaked a bit to get the entire screen showing since in windowed mode you get the top bar showing offcourse.

Now thank god all white flickering is gone.
Thanks!!! I have been searching and playing with options for hours trying to get that damn flickering to go away. (non-steam version running on Windows 7) I tried everything (video memory=safe, 16 bit graphics, drivers, etc). The only thing that worked was running in windowed mode, but the resolution was terrible... I didn't know you could change it!

I don't like seeing the frame around the game, but I can tolerate it. Thanks for the idea!
Old 12-29-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
apavlides24

How you can go to windowed version? I don't find it.

I checked the setup menu (the one before you start the game) and it's not there.

Last edited by apavlides24: 12-29-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:40 PM   #6
neko77025

Quote:
Originally Posted by warzer View Post
The screen flashes white while trying the tutorial or clicking on quickstart menu option. the FAQ says its outdated directx drivers. i am running the 161.19062 drivers.

any one have a fix?
if I turn off Crossfire .. this goes away. So maybe SLI/X-fire issue.
neko77025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #7
Esperologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko77025 View Post
if I turn off Crossfire .. this goes away. So maybe SLI/X-fire issue.
I don't have a crossfire setup (capable, but not set up) and get the flickering.
Do you disable a crossfire that you are currently using, or disable a single card trying to find crossfire?
I hope it isn't constantly looking to crossfire... or it should have been in the installation instructions on how to disable that if not going to be in use.
Esperologist is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Space Empires V