Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Wars collection > Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II

Old 09-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
neatfeatguy

Starts in windowed mode, how to make full screen?

Like the title says.

When I run the game, it starts in window mode. How can I make it so it's full screen?

I'm using Vista 64, if it matters. Let me know if you need any other info.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
SRQ

It's impossible, It doesn't work fullscreen in the menus yet. Start the game and it should go fullscreen.
SRQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:42 PM   #3
neatfeatguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQ View Post
It's impossible, It doesn't work fullscreen in the menus yet. Start the game and it should go fullscreen.
You're right. I wasn't patient enough to get that far. Thanks for the quick response.
neatfeatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:52 PM   #4
StingingVelvet

It's kind of weird for in-level videos, but it's a small price to pay for the rest of the game running so well.
StingingVelvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
NOFpuXnk

it will change on its own.. for more help
come to irc.gamesurge.net #jediknight
NOFpuXnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
Count_D

This totally sucks. They should've fixed it before putting on steam.
Count_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:19 PM   #7
wookieeewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count_D View Post
This totally sucks. They should've fixed it before putting on steam.
LA lost the source code so there wasn't really much they could do.
wookieeewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:36 AM   #8
Count_D

Why fans, who didn't have source code to begin with were able to write patches for the game?
Count_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:59 AM   #9
MG_Man

In windows 7 I was able to get the menus working in fullscreen (non-steam version though) after alt-tabbing out then back.

So no, it isn't impossible at all.
MG_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #10
maxtorthelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookieeewok View Post
Got any more info on that? Just curious how they could lose the source code.
maxtorthelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #11
ManOhMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtorthelord View Post
Got any more info on that? Just curious how they could lose the source code.
This happens more then you would think. Developers move, change companies, whole office moves, hardware faults, get new hardware etc. Over the last 20years it's easy to misplace something.

Few games I can think of

Panzer Dragoon Saga:
Lots of people want this ported to xbox live or remade etc.. Problem is the source code was lost. Guess that's why it's 400$ for a copy on ebay.

Strife : original source code to the game was lost by Rogue Entertainment.

Infocom: Lots of the source code for them are gone. Mid 1980's

Bubble Bobble was a huge hit in the arcades (1986)
In 1996, Taito announced that they lost the original source code program to Bubble Bobble following a reorganization - when it came to the recent ports and sequels, they had to work from program disassembly, playing the game and (mainly) the various home computer ports...

Almost all the SEGA arcade games from the 90's are lost source code. The system 16 system 32 etc.. lost.

I know of more just can't think of them atm. But this happens more then you would think.

Last edited by ManOhMan: 01-11-2011 at 06:59 PM. Reason: add more games
ManOhMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:11 AM   #12
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOhMan View Post
This happens more then you would think. Developers move, change companies, whole office moves, hardware faults, get new hardware etc. Over the last 20years it's easy to misplace something.

Few games I can think of

Panzer Dragoon Saga:
Lots of people want this ported to xbox live or remade etc.. Problem is the source code was lost. Guess that's why it's 400$ for a copy on ebay.

Strife : original source code to the game was lost by Rogue Entertainment.

Infocom: Lots of the source code for them are gone. Mid 1980's

Bubble Bobble was a huge hit in the arcades (1986)
In 1996, Taito announced that they lost the original source code program to Bubble Bobble following a reorganization - when it came to the recent ports and sequels, they had to work from program disassembly, playing the game and (mainly) the various home computer ports...

Almost all the SEGA arcade games from the 90's are lost source code. The system 16 system 32 etc.. lost.

I know of more just can't think of them atm. But this happens more then you would think.
Good bit of info there.

Add to this that it was common belief that older games were of no value - every developer thought that once a game reached a certain age it was useless. The whole retro thing was somewhat of a shock to some of them!

Of course, it's easy to have hindsight and think "ah, we should have saved them" but they truly saw no value in them then, which may well account for slightly lax regard to them.
crunchyfrog555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #13
algi

That's lame. I can't believe this. That's totally lame.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #14
Sweetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookieeewok View Post
I see this oft repeated, but have yet to come across a reputable confirmation of it.

Not saying it's not believable, it wouldn't surprise me if that's the case because organization and archiving within the games industry is awful. Then again developers do often keep personal copies of source - so it may not be totally gone, just gone as far as LA knows... I'm just curious as to where this info originally came from.

In any case, even if they did/do have the source code I wouldn't expect Lucasarts to work on it anyway. Getting a team of developers back up to speed on legacy code that's been mothballed for more than a decade is timely and therefore costly. They'd have to charge a price that I doubt most people would pay for stability/compatibility improvements only (and not a more complete remake of the game including graphics upgrades).

I really wish more companies would support the open sourcing of their legacy games. This would be a non-issue then. They could still sell the game which you'd need to (legally) acquire the content files, but then the community would take care of fixing up the runtime for modern PCs - a la Freespace.
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #15
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
I see this oft repeated, but have yet to come across a reputable confirmation of it.

Not saying it's not believable, it wouldn't surprise me if that's the case because organization and archiving within the games industry is awful. Then again developers do often keep personal copies of source - so it may not be totally gone, just gone as far as LA knows... I'm just curious as to where this info originally came from.

In any case, even if they did/do have the source code I wouldn't expect Lucasarts to work on it anyway. Getting a team of developers back up to speed on legacy code that's been mothballed for more than a decade is timely and therefore costly. They'd have to charge a price that I doubt most people would pay for stability/compatibility improvements only (and not a more complete remake of the game including graphics upgrades).

I really wish more companies would support the open sourcing of their legacy games. This would be a non-issue then. They could still sell the game which you'd need to (legally) acquire the content files, but then the community would take care of fixing up the runtime for modern PCs - a la Freespace.
I know of a number of companies that have truly lost some of their IP for good.

Naturally, there are many of the original arcade games that have vanished from the face of the earth, but that I suppose, is to be expected, as apart from the original source code, they would be in chip form. If you've played any of the Namco "classics" on various platforms, you'll see that some look the same (Pac-Man, Dig Dug, etc) but do not play the same. I'm not sure if the reasoning here is due to a total loss.

Anyway, in regard to more recent games, with the death or absorption of developers, some inevitably get lost. Sometimes they just get lost in moving offices. It does happen more than you'd think.

One thought that occurs to me is that with my thousands of games I have dating back to about 1976, I wonder how many games I've got that have no existing source code anymore? Hmmm...

I do agree with your thought that legacy games should be made more open-source. It would certainly be good insurance against such an accident.
crunchyfrog555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Wars collection > Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II