Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Wars collection > Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II

Old 09-17-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
Browncoat1984

Signed here if Lucasarts has lost you as a future customer.

This is the final straw for me with this company. I have been a strong supporter of Lucasarts since the days of Rebel Alliance. Even in the bad times I said to myself, "things will get better." When they first announced that they were releasing old games on Steam and that they were doing a remake of Secret of Monkey Island I said to myself, "finally, they're getting back to their roots!" The Secret of Monkey Island was an awesome game, and with the first set of old PC games at least they tried to make sure the games were running fine on modern operating systems (from what I've read).

But now they're back to their old ways again (that was fast). I am so disappointed in this...I was willing to buy these games and get rid of my hard copies, but now after the lack of quality control and care of the customer I've decided I'm going to request a refund and I will never buy another Lucasarts game again. Until Lucasarts fixes the major issues that Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith have on modern computers or at least releases the source code so fans can do it for them, I will not buy any Lucasarts products and will inform all of my friends who are gamers to not buy any either.

Shame on Lucasarts for this and shame on Valve for letting them do this. Valve, this was a very Nintendo-like move by letting the lack of quality control on this game slip through the door (I say Nintendo-like because of the lack of quality control on the Wii with all the shovelware they put on it).
Old 09-17-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
Gyshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browncoat1984 View Post
This is the final straw for me with this company. I have been a strong supporter of Lucasarts since the days of Rebel Alliance. Even in the bad times I said to myself, "things will get better." When they first announced that they were releasing old games on Steam and that they were doing a remake of Secret of Monkey Island I said to myself, "finally, they're getting back to their roots!" The Secret of Monkey Island was an awesome game, and with the first set of old PC games at least they tried to make sure the games were running fine on modern operating systems (from what I've read).

But now they're back to their old ways again (that was fast). I am so disappointed in this...I was willing to buy these games and get rid of my hard copies, but now after the lack of quality control and care of the customer I've decided I'm going to request a refund and I will never buy another Lucasarts game again. Until Lucasarts fixes the major issues that Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith have on modern computers or at least releases the source code so fans can do it for them, I will not buy any Lucasarts products and will inform all of my friends who are gamers to not buy any either.

Shame on Lucasarts for this and shame on Valve for letting them do this. Valve, this was a very Nintendo-like move by letting the lack of quality control on this game slip through the door (I say Nintendo-like because of the lack of quality control on the Wii with all the shovelware they put on it).
You tell em, bro!
Gyshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
Drathis

I usually buy these game packs without much thinking and sometimes I get burned. I'm so glad that I visited this forum first to see if these games actually work. Seems like they don't.

I just saved 20 € and hours of tweaking, yay \o/
Drathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
darthmilo77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browncoat1984 View Post
See, it's not even Nintendo-level, though, because at least Nintendo uses a decent emulator for Virtual Console games (like LA did with the adventure titles in the first round of Steam games). LA didn't even try with JK, or if they did, it doesn't show. And they even just used DOSBox instead of the emulator for DF. LucasArts would have to release a finished version of KOTOR II or something to redeem themselves in my eyes, but I'd settle for an emulated version of Rebel Assault II, or possibly even Yoda Stories (no longer the worst Star Wars game thanks to Republic Heroes).
Old 09-17-2009, 10:22 AM   #5
Cedge

As I've said in another thread, it's very likely that the full source for JK is no longer available, so it might not be possible at all for them, or anyone else to fix it.
Cedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:43 AM   #6
darthmilo77

According to Massassi, they lost the source code. But even if it somehow becomes impossible to mod it to add any sort of music whatsoever, it's still disingenuous not to mention the fact that the music doesn't work in the store page. It mentions possible compatibility issues with modern systems, but that has nothing to do with the fact that the released version can't play music at all.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:04 AM   #7
spyrochaete

Lucasarts rules, and difficulty getting this $5, 13 year old game to run has not shaken my faith in the company whatsoever. It's unfortunate but nothing more.

Then again, I feel this way because this game was one of many in the Star Wars pack I bought so I've still got like 150 hours of games to play.
spyrochaete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:06 AM   #8
Sweetz

Would you rather have the game available as is, or not at all?

I'm not happy with the game not being updated either, but I'd rather have it available, even in it's decrepit original state, than not at all. It's not like their charging an outrageous amount for it.

And please, "I will never buy XXXX again!" posts are so pointless. Internet threats don't work. As soon as they come out with some new game you want (Force Unleashed perhaps), we all know you're going to buy it anyway, just like everyone else who makes these sorts of claims. All you accomplish is making yourself sound like a petulent child.
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:38 PM   #9
SRQ

I would rather it not at all, because then I don't waste my money on a product I bought to work.
SRQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:43 PM   #10
awilliams1701

if it doesn't work then it shouldn't be posted on steam. At least DF1 works flawlessly. I had to tweek it a little to make it look better on widescreen, but i can live with that.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:10 PM   #11
james_2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathis View Post
I just saved 20 € and hours of tweaking, yay \o/
no real pc gamer would say that :P
james_2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:17 PM   #12
Sweetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQ View Post
I would rather it not at all, because then I don't waste my money on a product I bought to work.
It's working for some people though. So other people shouldn't be able to buy the game because it doesn't work for you?

I mean, you (plural) knew the game was old, you had to know there was a chance it wasn't updated, and if you're the type to get mad over a $5 purchase, then you should have waited to see how well the game worked for other people.

Like I said, I really wish the game was fixed up too, but it was fairly obvious to me going in that the chances of the game having been updated were slim and that if it wasn't updated I could expect a load of potential problems.

If you thought you could buy a 12 year old game and assume it would work perfectly without bothering to look into whether or was actually updated, or checking out the forums, you need to take some responsibility for your own ignorance or impatience - and say to yourself "next time maybe I should actually research a product before buying it"...

Last edited by Sweetz: 09-17-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:49 PM   #13
CoolMatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
It's working for some people though. So other people shouldn't be able to buy the game because it doesn't work for you?

I mean, you (plural) knew the game was old, you had to know there was a chance it wasn't updated, and if you're the type to get mad over a $5 purchase, then you should have waited to see how well the game worked for other people.

Like I said, I really wish the game was fixed up too, but it was fairly obvious to me going in that the chances of the game having been updated were slim and that if it wasn't updated I could expect a load of potential problems.

If you thought you could buy a 12 year old game and assume it would work perfectly without bothering to look into whether or was actually updated, or checking out the forums, you need to take some responsibility for your own ignorance or impatience - and say to yourself "next time maybe I should actually research a product before buying it"...
There was never any warning that the game may not work whatsoever. Also, it should never be expected that the customer should research if the game works or not on their system before buying, regardless of price. If it meets the system requirements, it should play. End of story. Otherwise you are buying a product and not receiving what you paid for, regardless of price. It's like buying a can of Coke only to discover that it's empty. Whoops, maybe you should have asked around to see if anyone else had empty cans before buying! Whoops, you shouldn't complain, after all, it's so cheap!
CoolMatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:56 PM   #14
Comduter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post

This forum is the research(and maybe gamespot and IGN), when it comes to Steam games unfortunately. Most of the time when people buy these games upon re-release on Steam (with no info to research), they believe that these games logically would work, and why shouldn't they? Why would a publisher reissue an old game without bothering to update it so it won't run on most modern computers? Do they want to make as little money as possible?
I think Valve should really step in regarding this issue. They can do something about it. Good Old Games makes sure all of their classic titles run on the latest operating systems. There's no excuse why Valve can't do the same.
Don't be so shallow as to accuse consumers for being ignorant because they have very valid complaints. If you purchased these games, and can properly run them on your comp., then consider yourself lucky. Ask yourself how you'd react if you couldn't get the games to work.
Comduter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:10 PM   #15
darthmilo77

On Twitter, I asked something like "Will Mysteries of the Sith be in the package? I ask because I couldn't get it to run on Vista" and the reply (albeit a large-scale reply) was something like "Don't worry, there will be MotS AND DF in the package! ;D" I swear, I'm beginning to distrust that twitter feed in general.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Wars collection > Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II