Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 09-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
KaKistoZ

"Re-Gifting" or "Give Away" or whatever term you may find appropriate to call it...

How about adding the function to "re-gift" games that are unwanted? Steam should be perfectly capable to do so, seeing that you already may pass on guest passes so easily...? It shouldn't be any more difficult than that? ...or...?

I for one and all of my steam buddies think it's a brilliant idea. Why posess a game one hardly plays when someone else can take pleasure of it? You still got your money from us, so what difference does it make?

Sincerely, Azeem Amin a.k.a KaKistoZ

Old 09-21-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
phoenix5

But wouldn't they get more money if your friends had to buy the game, rather than getting it for free from you? Where's the benefit to Valve or the game's dev/publisher? I understand what your suggesting, but it's not thought out very well.
phoenix5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:15 PM   #3
KaKistoZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix5 View Post
But wouldn't they get more money if your friends had to buy the game, rather than getting it for free from you? Where's the benefit to Valve or the game's dev/publisher? I understand what your suggesting, but it's not thought out very well.
The difference between giving customers what they want rather than being difficult and greedy is precisely that: profitting from kindness and making customers return and buy other games rather than making customers flee from a bad experience with management that doesn't listen.

My suggestion is thoroughly thought through, it's rather possibilities with Steam that aren't thought through.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:22 AM   #4
Shakur

This could be nice, but you forgot one detail:
hackers may transfer games from other accounts, VERY easily this way...
Hack an account, and take all you want, this is like robbing a store, just easier...
Shakur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:40 AM   #5
KaKistoZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakur View Post
This could be nice, but you forgot one detail:
hackers may transfer games from other accounts, VERY easily this way...
Hack an account, and take all you want, this is like robbing a store, just easier...
True, there might be a backdoor hacking opportunity to this feature, but only if Steam would allow the game transition to be easy. I would imagine that some sort of security pass would naturally be implemented into this feature if it ever were to be considered by Steam.

Ofcourse, one would want some sort of safety that disallows confirming the transition task too easily by accidentaly hitting the "enter/space" button on the keyboard or even a click of a mouse button, but also remains safe from hackers and such.

I'm sure all of you can see where I'm aiming at: a simple password type-in would do the trick, possibly even an answer to a question only you would now the answer to.

However surely there is no need to suggest this as I'm confident that if Steam would've implemented this feature, I'm sure they would've taken every precaution against hacker attacks and any exploit possible.

Last edited by KaKistoZ: 09-27-2009 at 06:26 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:57 AM   #6
Dr. Ha

[QUOTE=KaKistoZ;11392793]
I'm sure all of you can see where I'm aiming at: a simple password type-in would do the trick, possibly even an answer to a question only you would now the answer to.
QUOTE]

I don't believe that is what he was speaking of. He means if someone was to hijack your account, he could just transfer all of your games over to his master account, so he didn't have to log into different accounts to play different games and such.

Though, I do not believe this would be a problem, as Valve could just transfer the games back when you re-gain your account.

I do not support this idea though.
Dr. Ha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:17 AM   #7
KaKistoZ

Quote:
I don't believe that is what he was speaking of. He means if someone was to hijack your account, he could just transfer all of your games over to his master account, so he didn't have to log into different accounts to play different games and such.
I know what he ment; that if there were accounts hijacked, that they could simply grab the games and place them in their own account. Which is why some type of security pass is in order.

As I was trying to explain: sure, if someone were able to hijack your account then they would have access to you're games true enough. But if Steam would ever consider including this feature, surely there will be another stage the hijackers would have to bypass in order to be able (allowed, if you like) to move games to their own account.

And as I was suggesting: a password, preferably a 8-10 letter/digit alphanumeric password would do the trick. This password would ofcourse have to be different from the account-password.

The few alphanumeric combinations that has been cracked since the dawn of computer age, nowadays, with specially designed programs, usually takes months, even a year of constant calculation with countless trials and errors to figure out.

The most likely way for someone to figure out the password is to plant a certain keylogger or even hearing it upfront. Otherwise, cracking it would be practically impossible.

Yet again I conclude: Yes, I am confident that I speak on behalf of many when I say that this feature would be both most convenient to the users as well as immensely appreciated. And I am sure that creating this feature would be easily done as I know Steam would be fully capable to do so.

All security kinks and possible exploits is hardly an issue. Steam has managed to keep our user accounts safe so far. Adding this feature wouldn't add the slightest difference to the level of security.

If you don't like the idea, well simply don't use it. As easy as it gets.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:41 AM   #8
phoenix5

If you went out and bought a retail copy of a game (without any activation limits), played it, concluded you were done with it and desired to give it away, you could give it to a friend. Let's say you're a wildly popular guy and you have ~40 people you could choose to give the game to.

Now take that idea and put it online, where you're not limited to your local group of friends. Basically you could then give your game away to literally millions of people. They play it and pass it on yet again. How does this help Valve and the other game dev/publishers sell games?

The idea has merit, but would need to have limitations enforced. Maybe you can give away your games if you've played them for less than 3 hours (didn't like the game, want some one to use it). Maybe you can give the game to a friend for a small "transfer" fee to help limit the amount of swapping.

Unrestricted game gifting does nothing for Valve other than reduce sales. You can say that it makes for happy customers, but that's not really a viable business model. McDonalds could give away free cheeseburgers to every other customer, but they'd have to charge twice as much for the paying customers to eat. The people eating for free would love McDonalds, but I'm not willing to pay for you and your friends to eat.

Saying "If you don't like the idea, well simply don't use it" is ignoring the issue. Sure I'd love unlimited free games and if they implimented your idea as a policy I'd take advantage. What I'm saying is don't expect your idea to go anywhere. It's not realistic.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
KaKistoZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix5 View Post
If you went out and bought a retail copy of a game (without any activation limits), played it, concluded you were done with it and desired to give it away, you could give it to a friend. Let's say you're a wildly popular guy and you have ~40 people you could choose to give the game to.

Now take that idea and put it online, where you're not limited to your local group of friends. Basically you could then give your game away to literally millions of people. They play it and pass it on yet again. How does this help Valve and the other game dev/publishers sell games?

The idea has merit, but would need to have limitations enforced. Maybe you can give away your games if you've played them for less than 3 hours (didn't like the game, want some one to use it). Maybe you can give the game to a friend for a small "transfer" fee to help limit the amount of swapping.
Touché, awesome reply. Finally someone who debates the topic and produce thoughts around it rather than concluding right away that it couldn't be done. Nice, thanks.

After reading you reply I realize that I left out a few details I had on my mind concerning the feature. The idea was primarily to limit the usage of this feature to Steam friends, and ONLY that.

However I see your argument, and you're absolutely right. How would Steam possibly benefit from the transfer... Guess what? You answered your own question before I even had the chance to ponder upon it.

Transfer fee! Ofcourse! I would GLADLY pay half the purchase price if I could remove the game from my own list and place it in someone else's who would appreciate some certain games more than I did. Or even, as you said: If I could document that I've played less then 3 hours or so, that the transfer will be approved.

Steam could even limit the transfer to one game per month or so, just to make sure that the transfers doesn't happen too frequently. There are TONS of possibilities, in ways that both Steam and it's customers can benefit from.

To me this deserves to be just as realistic as the idea of letting certain modders gain acces to Steamworks for their mods. I definately think it is a feature worth looking into.

I can only hope that someone important from within Steam could investigate further into the idea and give me a final decision, whether it's negative or positive to the cause and why it wouldn't work.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:13 PM   #10
phoenix5

Limiting the transfer of games to one per month (or something like that) is another good option. Steam already has a working "guest pass" feature (that is seldom used) that could be modified to allow the transfer of game ownership... so the back end for this really shouldn't be too hard to do. Lord knows I've got a few games in my list that I'll never play again.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #11
C4rn463

i would love this idea. i would sell my l4d copy for someone.
C4rn463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:35 PM   #12
tonytoff

Absolutely brilliant idea....with limitations and good practice of course.
I could see this making Steam even more popular than it already is.
tonytoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:25 AM   #13
Charax

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaKistoZ View Post
Transfer fee! Ofcourse! I would GLADLY pay half the purchase price if I could remove the game from my own list and place it in someone else's who would appreciate some certain games more than I did. Or even, as you said: If I could document that I've played less then 3 hours or so, that the transfer will be approved.
So...you'd gladly pay 150% of an already-overpriced Steam Game's RRP for the pleasure of not having that game? gee, I can see that being a popular option.

And what about games bought on sale or gifted? would I have to pay half the RRP, or are you expecting Steam to keep track of the price you paid for every single game you own?

A transfer fee is a good idea, but it would need to be a small fee (around £5) to be viable. they could introduce time-based transfer limits too, but I don't think they're required.
Charax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:37 AM   #14
Azraelle

VAC-banned accounts should not be able to take advantage of this feature. Otherwise it could open a can of devious little worms.

Aimbotting in TF2 results in a VAC ban? Set up a new account, transfer TF2 to that account, and wham - no more VAC ban. A lot of cheaters already willingly pay for the game again on a new account in order to cheat away for a while; this would just give them a cheaper alternative.
Azraelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:21 AM   #15
Roxor

Oh, definitely. If someone is stupid enough to cheat and get banned, they should also kiss their give-away privileges goodbye as well.

As for the transfer fee, I think 5% of the game's cost new should cover Valve's costs in account-management and the new "owner" downloading the game.
Roxor is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas