Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 09-27-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
Lithe-Fider

Unhappy ERROR : Failed to create key

edit 11/5/1009 - I FIXED IT!!! HOLY **** - scroll down to post #13 to see what I did!

I JUST downloaded and tried to install Steam and got this error (see topic) as it was finishing the install.

I have NOT used Steam yet with any games - this is not a reconnect issue or an update issue. It hangs at 0% install screen like this (not my screen but example of the error message) - I never even get to any kind of login screen.

Before you say "Use the search function" I did and saw both of these threads and tried the suggestions: (1) (2) I am not even sure if these suggestions in the threads worked cause the OP's never replied.

I have tried uninstall/Reinstall, deleting/renaming the "ClientRegistry.blob" file, and deactivating my Windows and Norton firewalls. Also Steam is under the allowed list for my windows firewall even if it is on. I am on a wired FiOS router - at a private home (not a school). With no blocks / restrictions.

So far no luck, and the suggestions on the FAQ page here, I don't understand what it means by:

"Close the Steam client application and remove all instances of the following executables from your firewall's permissions list. Permissions for these executables will need to be re-learned by your firewall. Open Steam to allow your firewall to re-learn permissions for the Steam executables. If your firewall does not prompt you to set new permissions, the security settings may be too strict - you will need to change these settings so you will be prompted to set permissions. Give the Steam executables permission for all TCP and UDP ports when prompted. "

I can't even get INTO the Steam program...nor have I ever been.

PLEASE any help or suggestions or people who had/fixed the same ERROR....
I really want to play Team Fortress 2 with my friends.

Last edited by Lithe-Fider: 10-05-2009 at 11:02 AM.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
Lithe-Fider

FYI - Today I tried Port Forwarding protocols as suggested in Steam's fav through this site: http://portforward.com/ (So my router is open to both Steam ports and Server)

I tried reinstalling AGAIN, rebooted, and turned off my Norton firewall and Steam is on the allowed list for Windows firewall.

STILL same error.

I even called Verizon to ask about trouble with the Router - the tech guy I talked to PLAYS TF2 on Steam (funny enough) ! That made me smile. Sadly he has never heard of anyone with issues.

PLEASE SOMEONE...anyone have any ideas???? *sooo frustrated* *head desk*

Last edited by Lithe-Fider: 09-28-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:24 AM   #3
Lithe-Fider

Okay weider yet - it works fine on another computer in the house, which is also running Windows XP and the same Windows firewall and Norton program. Without doing ANYTHING it runs fine. It's a newer computer than mine, but mine is up to date and is more powerful.

I've tried closing out most non-needed background processes using the CTL ALT DELETE prompt...still no luck.

Anyone know any other program conflicts / possible background things that could be blocking it??
Old 09-30-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
Lithe-Fider

Please any suggestions out there? ;__;
Old 09-30-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
OTWBigPhil

I have exactly the same problem. I need help !
Old 10-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
ahjeck

Same problem here as well. Opened ports as recommended, but still no avail.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:35 PM   #7
Lithe-Fider

*looks to two above replies* have either of you gotten it to work yet? I tried disabling ALL start up services / stuff that was not microsoft needed and still, nothing.

ARG anyone else get this issue and actually FIXED it???? XD
Old 10-04-2009, 10:06 AM   #8
OTWBigPhil

Still got the problem :-(
Old 10-05-2009, 01:25 AM   #9
ahjeck

Same..still with the problem. I tried it on another computer in the house...and it works completely fine w/o any tweaks whatsoever.

I sent in a question to the support team but they have not replied yet. This is very frustrating...
Old 10-05-2009, 06:41 AM   #10
Lithe-Fider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahjeck View Post
Same..still with the problem. I tried it on another computer in the house...and it works completely fine w/o any tweaks whatsoever.

I sent in a question to the support team but they have not replied yet. This is very frustrating...
AHH You know exactly how I feel! It is SO frustrating that some low-end computer in the living room works fine and my souped up DELL XPS is like 'drrr can't connect to Steam'. We even have a FiOS connection, it's blazingly fast.

Though Support has been good about getting back to me (they get back in about 24-48 hours each time I reply) however their first two responses to me were cut and paste from the FAQ which I already said I READ and tried. So I felt a little insulted if not pandered to. Then when I asked if they had a phone number so I could talk to them in person - they ignored my query and just gave me another step-by-step technical fix reply which at least was not from the FAQ. It sadly did not work I felt it had promise.

Onto the next possibility. Cause really, THERE HAS TO BE SOMETHING blocking it right? >(

I've been trying for a week now *sighs* ...and yea it's super frustrating.

Last edited by Lithe-Fider: 10-05-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:46 AM   #11
ReBoot

Banned
Have you tried running the installer with administrator privileges?
ReBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:40 AM   #12
Lithe-Fider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReBoot View Post
Have you tried running the installer with administrator privileges?
Thanks for the reply! And yea that was the latest fix they suggested, and FYI I am the only one who uses this computer and my login is the only one (and was set to 'administrator' as far as I know. Why would it not be?)

This was the fix:

Click Start > Run...

Type "regedit" and press Enter.

Right-click on HKEY_CURRENT_USER and click Permissions

Under "Group or user names:" click Add...

Type in your Windows user account name and click "Check Names." If you entered the name properly, this should work and you should then be allowed to click OK.

Select your account in Group or user names and check "Allow" for Full Control and Read. Click OK.

Right-click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and click Permissions

Under "Group or user names:" click Add...

Type in your Windows user account name and click "Check Names." If you entered the name properly, this should work and you should then be allowed to click OK.

Select your account in Group or user names and check "Allow" for Full Control and Read. Click OK.

Once you have completed these steps, please exit the Registry Editor and reboot your computer, then re-test the issue.

And yes, still same error.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #13
Lithe-Fider

OKAY - good news!

I tried an off the wall suggestion I read somewhere online (which was something someone did to fix a Steam-based game not Steam itself, but still) :

- I uninstalled non-working Steam from MY PC using ADD/remove programs (so it was clean from my computer).

- I took the Steam folder from the computer in our house it worked on (This is the one Steam installed fine on)

- I copied the whole install folder from Program Files onto an external drive, and then brought it over to my PC and copied it onto my hard drive of my own computer.

- Just cut and paste (just steam not any downloaded games).

- I clicked the exe file and It worked! It runs!

I can't understand HOW this fixed it, or that it as a program can run just being cut and pasted, but it did, and my computer is having no trouble connecting to Steam! I downloaded TF2 and Garry's mod, and TF2 ran fine and connected to a server in game no problem.

I guess it was just having an issue getting past updating Steam...to finish the install?

Perhaps this information can help others! Try it people who are having my same problem!

Also note (for your own troubleshooting): I have disabled Windows firewall, tho Nortons is still running. I have disabled all background programs/processes except microsoft ones, my APC unit, Tablet drivers, and a few things that keep Adobe suite verified (LOL as a byproduct tho I've made my windows boot up super fast XD...I don't know why I didn't disable all the random stuff before in msconfig ). I have manually opened STEAM ports for my router - tho I don't think this was the issue to be gin with anyway cause of the other PC in the house on the same router not having issues (and doing this did not fix the original connection issue).

Hope this helps others!

Last edited by Lithe-Fider: 10-05-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:39 PM   #14
OTWBigPhil

Thank you SO MUCH !!

I've managed to get mine working also.

Initially, the copy and paste wouldn't work. Tried a few reboots but I was getting the same error message.

The way I got it to work was: -

1. Remove Steam using Add/remove programs
2. Copy the folder over from the working PC
3. Double click steam.exe

It works !! didn't have to go through any install process!
Old 10-05-2009, 11:02 PM   #15
Lithe-Fider

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTWBigPhil View Post
Thank you SO MUCH !!

I've managed to get mine working also.

Initially, the copy and paste wouldn't work. Tried a few reboots but I was getting the same error message.

The way I got it to work was: -

1. Remove Steam using Add/remove programs
2. Copy the folder over from the working PC
3. Double click steam.exe

It works !! didn't have to go through any install process!
SWEET!!!! I am so glad it worked for you too!

And yea I had removed steam from my PC before copying it over (with add/remove programs) sorry I didn't mention that *adds to my post*

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips