Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Railroad Tycoon

Old 09-29-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
DevHyfes

You CAN get RRT3 running under Vista

Hello All-

After reading a bunch about this issue, looking around at my steam install, and trying various tips, I believe I have the solution for running Railroad Tycoon 3- and when you are done, you will be running it WITH the steam client (and steam-supplied executable). So that means you can show all your Steam Friends how COOL you are as you play a 2004 game about trains. WOOT!

The Quick Answer
Basically, there is a Configuration Setting that you can apply- "Disable Hardware T&L". When this is applied, whatever illegal instructions are being sent to the Video Card stop being sent, and you can play the game. Simple, right? Except for the fact that changing this config requires you to get INTO the game, and past the main menu.

1) Go to gamecopyworld.com and search for Railroad Tycoon 3.
2) Find the 1.03 executable and download it.
3) Rename the RT3.exe file YOU JUST DOWNLOADED to something like ConfigUtil.exe
4) Copy ConfigUtil.exe to the Steam RRT3 directory.
5) Now run ConfigUtil.exe as an administrator.

(Note: Most tips so far have stopped here and had people playing the game using the 1.03 executable which doesn't have the steam features or the bug fixes that came with 1.04 and 1.05.)

6) Go into the Settings --> Graphics menu and find the option for "Disable Hardware T&L". Select it. You'll get a dialogue talking about how this might impact performance, etc. It's ok, your fancy futuristic gfx card and CPU (by this game's ancient standards) can absorb the hit.

7) Exit the game- er, ConfigUtil- and start normally through steam. (If you were troubleshooting and running any -s# options in the advanced tab, you should clear these first).
Old 09-30-2009, 06:37 AM   #2
HawkDawg

That's a handy tip. I'll have to pass that along to my forum members.

Out of curiosity, what version of RT3 are you running through the Steam client? Is it 1.04 or 1.05?
HawkDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
DevHyfes

it says 1.05
DevHyfes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
Alien8

Cool!

Awesome tip, DevHyfes!

It works flawlessly.

After many months, now we can run RRT3 (v1.05, including coast to coast) under Vista (and Windows 7, BTW) without patching nor obscure tricks.

Thanks for the info. This thread should be stickied!!!.

Last edited by Alien8: 09-30-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Alien8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
HawkDawg

Thanks DevHyfes. I had heard from a couple of members at my forum that the Steam version was only 1.04 without the C to C expansion. Maybe Steam did an update to 1.05 and didn't mention it in their update logs.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:20 AM   #6
DevHyfes

HawkDawg-

Yes, I lurk on your forums (but have never registered), and that is where I pieced together most of the steps for getting this running.

I'm still working through the scenarios on RT2 right now, so I haven't done much more than load up a scenario and move around/place track to see that RT3 could run. Nevertheless, it definitely says 1.05, and it definitely has the C-to-C badge on the top of the main menu.

As soon as I can beat this ^$%#@!!! "When Walls Come Down" scenario, I will probably try to see if I can get 1.06 to work on my install. Of course, it won't be running the Steam executable.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
HawkDawg

I hope you don't mind that I posted your tips in the forum.

http://hawkdawg.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=20325#p20325

Thanks for confirming my mis-information about the version number from Steam.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
DevHyfes

I saw, and don't mind at all.

Theoretically, this should fix ANY install, whether it's 1.05, 1.06 or the steam-modified version. The problem seems completely related to the configuration problem. By default, Hardware T&L is enabled, and (likely due to backwards compatibility issues) Nvidia cards just can't handle whatever new initialization routines were added to 1.04.

I was quite annoyed to find that the .cfg file for RT3 is in some binary format that I cannot edit with a text editor. If that weren't the case, fixing these issues would have been much, much easier.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #9
HawkDawg

Interesting! I run an Nvidea card and I've not had any problems running RT3, all the way up to 1.06.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #10
iwanjames86460

Apologies before hand for sounding slightly dense.

Can someone post how would you copy it into the directory?

I'm not entirely sure.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2009, 11:00 AM   #11
adamhos

This fix worked perfectly for me! Thanks

There has to be somewhere it stores the config though, I'm guessing the registry. I'll look and see if we can cut one more step from the solution (downloading the old exe).
Old 10-25-2009, 11:02 AM   #12
adamhos

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanjames86460 View Post
Apologies before hand for sounding slightly dense.

Can someone post how would you copy it into the directory?

I'm not entirely sure.

Thanks
go to c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\railroad tycoon 3\

take the 1.03 exe, rename it to something else. Drag that (or copy + paste) that into the directory above, and then run it.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:20 AM   #13
HawkDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamhos View Post
This fix worked perfectly for me! Thanks

There has to be somewhere it stores the config though, I'm guessing the registry. I'll look and see if we can cut one more step from the solution (downloading the old exe).
I doubt there's anything in the registry. I had a full back up of RT3 (installed from the original cd's) on a second hard drive.
When I put a new primary hard drive in I placed a short cut to the RT3 exe from the secondary hard drive on the desk top and it fired up RT3 without even being installed.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:02 PM   #14
ETF7506

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevHyfes View Post
Hello All-

After reading a bunch about this issue, looking around at my steam install, and trying various tips, I believe I have the solution for running Railroad Tycoon 3- and when you are done, you will be running it WITH the steam client (and steam-supplied executable). So that means you can show all your Steam Friends how COOL you are as you play a 2004 game about trains. WOOT!

The Quick Answer
Basically, there is a Configuration Setting that you can apply- "Disable Hardware T&L". When this is applied, whatever illegal instructions are being sent to the Video Card stop being sent, and you can play the game. Simple, right? Except for the fact that changing this config requires you to get INTO the game, and past the main menu.

1) Go to gamecopyworld.com and search for Railroad Tycoon 3.
2) Find the 1.03 executable and download it.
3) Rename the RT3.exe file YOU JUST DOWNLOADED to something like ConfigUtil.exe
4) Copy ConfigUtil.exe to the Steam RRT3 directory.
5) Now run ConfigUtil.exe as an administrator.

(Note: Most tips so far have stopped here and had people playing the game using the 1.03 executable which doesn't have the steam features or the bug fixes that came with 1.04 and 1.05.)

6) Go into the Settings --> Graphics menu and find the option for "Disable Hardware T&L". Select it. You'll get a dialogue talking about how this might impact performance, etc. It's ok, your fancy futuristic gfx card and CPU (by this game's ancient standards) can absorb the hit.

7) Exit the game- er, ConfigUtil- and start normally through steam. (If you were troubleshooting and running any -s# options in the advanced tab, you should clear these first).
Ok a newbie to VISTA....for #3 which directory is this. Is it simply the Steam directory that I copy this to? I do not seem to have a STEAM/RRT3 directory.....should I? I copied it to the Steam directory and it advised I do not have the mss32.dll file??? I noticed further down in this directory I have the mss32_s.dll file. Any help would be appreciated. THANK YOU!

Last edited by ETF7506: 12-03-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #15
JK_DC

put in same directory after you rename it. I renamed it in winrar and then extracted it to ...\valve\steam\steamapps\common\railroad tycoon 3
JK_DC is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Railroad Tycoon