Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:37 AM   #1
Doc2142

I am looking for a good power supply for my system because i am giving mine to my sister.

System spec

Amd Phenom x3 Oced to 3.7
Nvidia 8800GT 512
320GB HDD

Thats pretty much the big things that draw most of the power that i have.

I am looking for a PSU that will be future proof i need one that will be able to support the 4890 and maybe an SLI of that too!

Oh and i hope its cheap around 70-80 USD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371025

How this look there is a permotion code for it i can get it for 97 with tax and shippping?

Last edited by rotNdude: 09-30-2009 at 10:05 AM. Reason: double post, please use the edit feature
Old 09-30-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
DarkWasp

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139006

Just a thought
Old 09-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
Pickanewnameplzkthx

Take a look at the OCZ EliteXStream 1000. Great PSU! Strong as strong can be. 80+ amp single 12+ rail. It's stable as a rock. Got high efficiency ratings. It's runns cool and quiet, and even opn my highly OC'd i7 system the fan never changes RPM.

I'm talking that speciffic PSU now. There are some OCZ units I wouldn;t get near. That particular EliteXSTream 1000 has very high quality caps, a tied dual power section, and it is single rail, so you won;t have the amperage issues that the dual or multi-rail PSU's have.

That PSU passed the [H]ardOCP torture test and didn;t just pass it, but aced it. Very few can do that, and many have actually failed during those tests. It is brutal on PSU. You can read about the review on their site.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
Bad_Motha

Banned
$300 for 1000watts! Screw that bro, get a 850-watt for $120 after rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139009
Old 09-30-2009, 09:37 PM   #5
Pickanewnameplzkthx

How about 130 after rebate. I haven't looked, but I seriously doubt they ahve went up 170 dollars since last November. Aw, and BTW, I don't do Corsair. I don't do buisness with people who lie to me.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:40 PM   #6
steveroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Flight View Post
How about 130 after rebate. I haven't looked, but I seriously doubt they ahve went up 170 dollars since last November. Aw, and BTW, I don't do Corsair. I don't do buisness with people who lie to me.
Well, OCZ lied to you. You said in your other diatribe about PSUs that this OCZ 1000W PSU were so powerful that you could easily put in another high end video card. Well, as I already pointed out you can't put in another one of your 280 Superclocks with that OCZ 1000W PSU.

You have so many opinions: "if it is time for a new CPU it is time for another motherboard, get twice the amount of wattage you need, PC Power and Cooling Units - buy the best, but also the most expensive, directX is a Microsoft conspiracy, AMD is a pathological bunch of liars, yadda yadda yadda."

LOL. Corsair is just fine. Your anectdotal experience notwithstanding.

Last edited by steveroger: 09-30-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:31 AM   #7
Pickanewnameplzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveroger View Post
Well, OCZ lied to you. You said in your other diatribe about PSUs that this OCZ 1000W PSU were so powerful that you could easily put in another high end video card. Well, as I already pointed out you can't put in another one of your 280 Superclocks with that OCZ 1000W PSU.

You have so many opinions: "if it is time for a new CPU it is time for another motherboard, get twice the amount of wattage you need, PC Power and Cooling Units - buy the best, but also the most expensive, directX is a Microsoft conspiracy, AMD is a pathological bunch of liars, yadda yadda yadda."

LOL. Corsair is just fine. Your anectdotal experience notwithstanding.
I think you better learn about that of which you speak before you open your mouth and remove all doubt. I never said I was putting another GTX280SSC. I said I was gonna put 2 of NVidia's upcoming cards in SLI, but even if I were gonna run 2 280SSC, I can run those two cards with amps to spare. Not only can I, I can do it with ease. I'm not even pulling half what this 1000 watt is capable of right now, and that is read directly off my UPS in wattage and under full load, and amps on the 12+ rail aren't even close to half the 80 amps that are available. That is with the entire system loaded both GPU and CPU, and includes everything else in the system. That also includes a 32" HDTV which is not even connected to the PSU, a Laptop which isn;t connected to the PSU, and a router, pkus an Xbox. None of the latter is pulling anything from the PSU, so what is being drawn from the PSU is much much less than that.

You aboviously know nothing about which you speak. Please do others a favor and don't post things if you don't know what you're talking about. I don't post opinions...I post facts, and I've got 25 years of building machines and experience with them to back it up.

I'm curious, have you ever even built a system before? Have you ever OC'd one before? Have you ever even tested one before? I seriously doubt you even have the equipment to test one. I do, and have.

Last edited by Pickanewnameplzkthx: 10-01-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:57 AM   #8
Bad_Motha

Banned
Ok guys, u can quit the flaming back and forth. Chill out... help the person who made the thread who's in need of help or move on to something else. If you want to talk crap, do it through PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:15 AM   #9
steveroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Flight View Post
I think you better learn about that of which you speak before you open your mouth and remove all doubt. I never said I was putting another GTX280SSC. I said I was gonna put 2 of NVidia's upcoming cards in SLI, but even if I were gonna run 2 280SSC, I can run those two cards with amps to spare. Not only can I, I can do it with ease. I'm not even pulling half what this 1000 watt is capable of right now, and that is read directly off my UPS in wattage and under full load, and amps on the 12+ rail aren't even close to half the 80 amps that are available. That is with the entire system loaded both GPU and CPU, and includes everything else in the system. That also includes a 32" HDTV which is not even connected to the PSU, a Laptop which isn;t connected to the PSU, and a router, pkus an Xbox. None of the latter is pulling anything from the PSU, so what is being drawn from the PSU is much much less than that.

You aboviously know nothing about which you speak. Please do others a favor and don't post things if you don't know what you're talking about. I don't post opinions...I post facts, and I've got 25 years of building machines and experience with them to back it up.

I'm curious, have you ever even built a system before? Have you ever OC'd one before? Have you ever even tested one before? I seriously doubt you even have the equipment to test one. I do, and have.
LOL. From your beloved OCZ EliteXStream Power Supply Official webpage:

Quote:
*OCZ does not recommend the use of our OCZ1000EXS with 2 x Overclocked GTX280 graphics cards. The OCZ1000EXS power supply is certified by NVIDIA to power Two GeForce GTX280 GPUs but the significant dynamic loading of two overclocked GTX280s may cause operational issues and is not recommended.
Not recommended means not recommended. Regardless of your "experience." By using 280 Superclocks in SLI you are not covered under the warranty. Let's take another look at your elaborate PSU rules:

Quote:
Wattage is really of no consequece if you get twice as much as you need. It's the amps the matter. I have an OCZ EliteXStream 1000 that has an 80 amp 12+ rail. I have a high end i7 system and even if I added another high end grpahics card it would not phase that unit.

Amps matter more than wattage. Still get twice as much wattage as you need. You cannot have too much PSU. There is no such thing as too much. You can have too little though, and if you do, you will have an unstable system, and will end up buying another one anyway when you could've bough just one to do the job and have reserve left over for upogrades.

Make the system bullet proof. Start with the PSU and get a good one. Everything in your entire computer is connected to it. It's free insurance.
You don't have twice as much wattage as you need because you don't have amps to cover two superclocked 280s in SLI. In fact, you have too little according the manufacturer who holds the warranty.

As you stated, "you can have too little though, and if you do, you will have an unstable system." Which apparently is exactly what OCZ is warning you about on their website because, and I quote "the significant dynamic loading of two overclocked GTX280s may cause operational issues."

So it looks like you "will end up buying another one anyway when you could've bought just one to do the job and have reserve left over for upogrades."

Too bad you didn't make your system "bullet proof" with this PSU.

Getting all mad at me for showing you what could be a real problem for your system doesn't make any sense. You should be thanking me. Obviously, you had no idea about this problem. You are just mad because I found out something that you didn't know.

What OCZ is lying about about this concern? How in the world would that be helpful to them. In fact, it is likely one of the reasons they took this power supply out of production due to the liability issues and issued this warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Motha View Post
Ok guys, u can quit the flaming back and forth. Chill out... help the person who made the thread who's in need of help or move on to something else. If you want to talk crap, do it through PM.
I am helping the OP. He is getting bad advice.

Last edited by steveroger: 10-01-2009 at 01:20 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:22 AM   #10
Pickanewnameplzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveroger View Post
LOL. From your beloved OCZ EliteXStream Power Supply Official webpage:

Not recommended means not recommended. Regardless of your "experience." By using 280 Superclocks in SLI you are not covered under the warranty. Let's take another look at your elaborate PSU rules:

You don't have twice as much wattage as you need because you don't have amps to cover two superclocked 280s in SLI. In fact, you have too little according the manufacturer who holds the warranty.

As you stated, "you can have too little though, and if you do, you will have an unstable system." Which apparently is exactly what OCZ is warning you about on their website because, and I quote "the significant dynamic loading of two overclocked GTX280s may cause operational issues."

So it looks like you "will end up buying another one anyway when you could've bought just one to do the job and have reserve left over for upogrades."

Too bad you didn't make your system "bullet proof" with this PSU.

Getting all mad at me for showing you what could be a real problem for your system doesn't make any sense. You should be thanking me. Obviously, you had no idea about this problem.

What OCZ is lying about about this concern? How in the world would that be helpful to them. In fact, it is likely one of the reasons they took this power supply out of production due to the liability issues and issued this warning.
Again, I'll tell you what I told you in the otjher thread. When you get some experience with the stuff you speak about come back here with some numbers. I gave them, becasue I have the equipment to measure them. You obviously do not and your ignorance is showing. If you would like to continue, I'll have no qualms at all about working up some screenshots with all the numbers in those monitoring apps and post them right here.

There are no issues with my system OR any of the info I posted. Now, it's time to put up or shutup. Do I really need to take the time to work up those screenshots? I will to backup my word. That's one thing I won;t put up with is somebody calling me a liar or even insinutaing it. I don;t come on here and just randomly make some up. I come on here and post what I learned. I learmned it through others, and I learend it through first hand testing. Everybit of it can be subtantiated and measured. So I ask again, Do I really need to go to that ammount of work? I will if I have to.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:26 AM   #11
steveroger

Sorry, OCZ says it is not recommended. Not recommended means not recommended. You can attack me all you want but it won't change a thing. Your tests don't matter. It is bad advice to tell people to put two superclocked 280s in a PC with that power supply.

This is just something you didn't know about. The concern is about the dynamics of the two superclocked cards working together. Therefore, your anectdotal experience isn't the last word on this issue.

OCZ has no motive to lie in this instance and you know it. This is probably why the power supply is out of production.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:28 AM   #12
Pickanewnameplzkthx

Done. My "anecdotal evidence" as you just called it is about to be backed up with some cold hard data. SOme people just don;t know when to cut the .

Edited:I will post those screenshots in a few hours. It will take me some time to get them and upload them.

Worst case TDP in full 3D mode @ load is 236W. That's been measured.

Source: http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforc...-review-test/5

Measured load of my entire system. That is without the Xbox, the 32" HDTV, the Laptop and the Router I normally have on the UPS which is not connected to the PSU at all. I had to unplug them to show the true load of my rig just to clear this mess up.

Here is the screen
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/1...eunderload.jpg

Now, adding that up, that is 299 watts, plus another 236 in the worst case load (which I have never achieved even with my highly OC'd GTX280SSC equals 535 total WITH 2xGTX280's in SLI in the system I have running right now under load. Even WITH the extra card is still barely breaks HALF what that PSU is capable of and draw even less on the amperage. That's TOTAL system load measured. Not guessed at, or therorized about, or read from any disclaimers found on the Internet...that's REAL WORLD load.

Now, just to put an exclamation point at the end of this complete waste of my time. Here is a link to the SLI Zone PSU Certification. In that certification it has the exact PSU in their list for 2xGTX280's. Scroll down until you see "For 2 Geforce GTX280 GPUS" and check that list....well I'll be darn if there isn't a OCZ EliteXStream 1000 PSU listed in there. Guess it's certified after all. Of course it would be since it has more than double the power needed.

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html

Facts man. Facts.

Last edited by rotNdude: 10-01-2009 at 09:46 AM. Reason: double post, learn to use the edit feature
Old 10-01-2009, 02:18 AM   #13
steveroger

None of what you might post as evidence is going to matter. You could write treatise, base your Phd. on it, but it won't make a difference.

The advice will remain the same because of OCZ's official position posted on their website: "OCZ does not recommend the use of our OCZ1000EXS with 2 x Overclocked GTX280 graphics cards. The OCZ1000EXS power supply is certified by NVIDIA to power Two GeForce GTX280 GPUs but the significant dynamic loading of two overclocked GTX280s may cause operational issues and is not recommended."

It couldn't be any clearer. It is understandable that you are frustrated. There are a number of reviews praising this card. However, even so you haven't ever put two Superclocked cards with that PSU. You are just arguing that it can be done theoretically. Even if you could show that the PSU could operate two Superclocked 280's within what you believe are acceptable parameters, it isn't going to matter. This is because of how OCZ has framed the issue with the terms "dynamic loading." (The OCZ1000EXS power supply is certified by NVIDIA to power Two GeForce GTX280 GPUs but the significant dynamic loading of two overclocked GTX280s may cause operational issues and is not recommended.) This means that even if you can't replicate the problem the risk is still there. And the risk is significant enough for them to specifically state that it is not recommended.

Ultimately, this largely a legal issue along with the technical implications. (I have nearly twenty years of legal experience that makes me qualified to give an opinion here). In a nutshell, there are significant warranty and liability issues that affect both the consumer and the manufacturer. Once OCZ posted this concern on the website, it can't be ignored (regardless of your beliefs--no matter what tests you have run or experienc level you possess).

There is no shame in not knowing about OCZ's disclosure on their website about this problem. But it is wrong to continually unabashedly and wholeheartedly recommend this PSU running with two Superclocked 280's once this disclosure by the manufacturer was revealed to you.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:31 AM   #14
Pickanewnameplzkthx

OMG! People I'm not gonna argue with this guy anymore. It's hopeless. He really has no clue and never will. That's not a slam...just a statement of fact. To be honest I don't have anymore time to waste, but I hope the data speaks for itself to the OP.

To the OP, please contact me via PM. I'd like to send you more information, but I'll have to do it later. I've got to get back to work before the phone starts ringing this morning, but I will get back to you later this afternoon. Sorry about what happed to your thread. I didn't intend for there to be a debate, but I hope I cleared up some things.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:26 AM   #15
steveroger

Quote:
T_Flight;11430278]OMG! People I'm not gonna argue with this guy anymore. It's hopeless. He really has no clue and never will. That's not a slam...just a statement of fact. To be honest I don't have anymore time to waste, but I hope the data speaks for itself to the OP.
Insulting me is not going to change the fact that you have completely and utterly failed to even understand the problem with the PSU you are recommending.

The fact that the PSU has received SLI certification for regularly clocked 280s is not proof positive that the PSU can handle two Superclocked 280s.

Rather, OCZ states that the issue is that notwithstanding such SLI certification--two overclocked 280s place such a significant dynamic load on the PSU resulting in operational issues--theretofore, the PSU is not recommended to be used with two overclocked 280s.

Further you failed to even mention mention the dynamic loading that underpins the concerns put forth by OCZ. You simply ignore the dynamic interaction issue and just do the math involved. You didn't actually test anything involving overclocked 280's and this power supply.

If this were about giving fair and accurate advice to the OP, there wouldn't be such effort to discredit my offering of OCZ's warning against the use of it's PSU with two overclocked 280's.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems