Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 09-30-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
Samulus

Banned
Smile Help me check this budget build.

So I'm going to put together a budget gaming PC and here are all my parts (excluding cd drive monitor and keyboard and mouse, don't need those.)

http://i36.tinypic.com/2hd1fyf.png <---- Picture of my newegg shopping cart.

I need some help finding out if these parts are compatible with each other, and if there are cheaper / better parts that I should use instead. And I want to know if this computer will be able to run RE;5 and GTA4. A long shot yes but I'm trying to run these games with the smallest amount of money possible.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:38 AM   #2
Baron_Fel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_Fel View Post
Yeah the X3 720 is definetly worth the extra $20.

Id go with this mobo (better/cheaper) and this 4850 (cheaper) instead though. Ten bucks more can get you this RAM with those nifty little heatsinks, but whether its worth it or not is up in the air lol.

other than that good build. Try to look for a case with free shipping, thatll save you like $20. Same with optical drive, only $10.

also, consider this 4870 1GB for only $125 after rebate.
did your budget shrink? If so Id recommend saving up a bit more, otherwise you end up cutting corners by getting stuff like that PSU that will probably have to be replaced for your next upgrade.
Baron_Fel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:55 AM   #3
Bad_Motha

Banned
Yes don't cut yourself short with a junk motherboard and power supply. They are the key to a good stable system overall. Jetway is like ECS and ASRock (JUNK!). If you spend a little more time looking, you can still build a good budget system for around $500, but those components you listed, seriously they aren't worth the time or money.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:01 AM   #4
steveroger

It really is only fair to ask what is your actual budget and do you have an operating system? And what is the smallest amount of money possible? What size monitor do you have and what resolution will you use? When you say run those games--at what settings are you shooting for?

For example, GTA4 is not going to run all that well with card and that CPU, but in your budget neighborhood you need to reduce your epectations for that game. It's a beast as you know.
steveroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:38 AM   #5
Samulus

Banned
My budget did kind of shrink rofl. Atm its about under 500$, but I've been trying to aim lower with the price. I have a smaller lcd monitor and don't plain on running the games at high resolutions. (high settings though yes) I already have a copy of vista w/ me so I won't need an OS.

Edit: http://i35.tinypic.com/2hghb1l.png <-- New Build. After rebates I might be able to afford this rig if I save up a little more (only have 200$ atm.) This should be GTA4, RE:5 and relativity future proof (meaning upgradeable easily) right?

Last edited by Samulus: 10-01-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Samulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:33 AM   #6
kdawgmaster

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samulus View Post
My budget did kind of shrink rofl. Atm its about under 500$, but I've been trying to aim lower with the price. I have a smaller lcd monitor and don't plain on running the games at high resolutions. (high settings though yes) I already have a copy of vista w/ me so I won't need an OS.

Edit: http://i35.tinypic.com/2hghb1l.png <-- New Build. After rebates I might be able to afford this rig if I save up a little more (only have 200$ atm.) This should be GTA4, RE:5 and relativity future proof (meaning upgradeable easily) right?
im not 100% sure that the 400watt PSU will handle a 4870 its recommended for a 500watt. and if u plan on doing any OC if the PSU can run the card u wont be getting any good OC any time soon.
kdawgmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
Bad_Motha

Banned
Yeah don't go with any minimum power supply. If the video card alone calls for having a 400 - 500 watt PSU, then get a 650 or 750 watt, don't cut yourself short just to save couple bucks, in the long run can cost you more money and big headache. Being on a budget is fine, but if you're looking to do gaming, let's be realistic. Don't waste your time with the AMD triple-core, the whole thing was a joke and was to tide everyone over til quad-core, which people thought would be off, when actually it came up just a month after the triple-core BS. Either get a high end Dual-Core, or just flat out go with Quad-Core.

Give me a price range of your budget and I'll put together a decent gamer for you on Newegg and send you the picture of the cart/quote and all the links.

Last edited by Bad_Motha: 10-01-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:33 PM   #8
kdawgmaster

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Motha View Post
Yeah don't go with any minimum power supply. If the video card alone calls for having a 400 - 500 watt PSU, then get a 650 or 750 watt, don't cut yourself short just to save couple bucks, in the long run can cost you more money and big headache. Being on a budget is fine, but if you're looking to do gaming, let's be realistic. Don't waste your time with the AMD triple-core, the whole thing was a joke and was to tide everyone over til quad-core, which people thought would be off, when actually it came up just a month after the triple-core BS. Either get a high end Dual-Core, or just flat out go with Quad-Core.

Give me a price range of your budget and I'll put together a decent gamer for you on Newegg and send you the picture of the cart/quote and all the links.
im in agreement here. when ever a part says the MIN is u should atleat go 100watts more then wat they say the minimun for a GPU. Because the 4870 on idle uses 80watts and under load would use most of that power. u would have boot issues in ur computer
kdawgmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
rotNdude

Volunteer Moderator
A 4870 draws 150W at full load and that AMD X3 draws 95W at full load. That equates to 20.4A on the +12V rail. The Corsair 400W PSU puts out 30A on the +12V rail and is more than adequate. Never go by just the PSU wattage that is recommended by video card manufacturers, since these recommendations do not take into consideration the various brands and quality of the PSUs. They normally are very conservative and take into consideration all of the crappy PSUs on the market that don't allocate enough power to the +12V rail.
rotNdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #10
steveroger

I am not clear about your choices and budget. Are you going for a 4870 with that 400W power supply or the 4850 with that power supply?

Regarding GTA4 even a 4870 isn't going to do fantastic, but okay. GTA4 is such a pig even with a triple core and a 4870 you caren't going to be setting everything on high quality. RE5, I just don't know about.

However, you need to be realistic about your budget and gaming performance, a future proof PC that plays GTA4 all on high quality just can't be had for $500. A good PC can be had though. There is nothing wrong with shooting for a triple core with a 4870 and reasonable PSU, that 400W is pretty good.

UPDATE:

I trust rotNdude, he's advice has been right on and he doesn't waste my money.

Last edited by steveroger: 10-01-2009 at 01:07 PM.
steveroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #11
Baron_Fel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samulus View Post
Thats a good build. Youll want a SATA DVD Burner though.

And again shipping makes that case more expensive, you can get something better like this for pretty much the same price, or go even cheaper with something like this.

An X3 720 and 4870 1GB are more than sufficient to run GTA4 at near max quality even at 1920x, and the OP has a low res monitor. RE5 is the typical lightweight console port, nothing to worry about.

oh, and if you arent buying like right now, this thread is kinda pointless. Prices change constantly. example, heres some better RAM for less.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:50 PM   #12
Samulus

Banned
I took your guys information and put together a new build, I plan on buying this computer within 2-3 months.

http://i38.tinypic.com/mls87d.png

The difference between the last one I built and this one is that I changed the case to the one baron_fel suggested (ty for the suggestion btw I like the way this case looks more than the other one) and I switched to a Lite-On SATA Dvd Burner.
I also changed the ram to the one that you suggested and I downgraded the graphics to a cheaper 512MB Ati Radeon 4850 Powercool with HDMI and VGA out. I think judging from the rest of the thread this should be my final question, Is it stupid to go for the cheaper 4850 or is there a big enough performance margin to warrant getting the more expensive 4870. Going with the 4850 afaik would be cheaper and I am on a budget. I'm pretty sure the 4850 is capable of GTA4 and RE:5. but I don't know...
Samulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:53 PM   #13
Baron_Fel

youll want to make another thread like this when you get closer to buying it. Who knows, the market could change significantly. The 4850 might not even exist anymore.

the 4850 is "capable" for GTA4 and other intensive games, it just isnt ideal. AA and such is out of the question. However at a low resolution performance and image quality wouldnt be bad at all.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:54 PM   #14
Doc2142

yeah 2-3 month this build might be worth 100 less or you might even get better stuff.
Doc2142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:00 PM   #15
Bad_Motha

Banned
Yeah I mean we can play the waiting game and better stuff will get cheaper, but it all comes down to... when do u need it, what you need it for, and what your budget is. So if you CAN wait til there are good sales (holiday sales) or something, then wait a little if need be. But yeah don't skimp and grab up low-end items just to quickly build a $500 budget gamer, it'll just be a waste unless u really look around and find some good deals on good products.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems