Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 10-01-2009, 12:55 AM   #1
Tannekr

Two Very Annoying Problems That Need to be Fixed

Sorry if this seems like a rant, but I feel as if this is getting ridiculous and that this post is needed. I also didn't know quite where to place it, but here goes:

So, I've had these problems for quite awhile now, and I know some of you have had some them as well. Lately, though, I've gotten quite frustrated with them, and I really think they need to be fixed, and soon.

Note: My Steam decided to have a change of heart after months in regards to the window bug, so for now, concentrate on the downloading stuff.

Steam's Downloading Behavior: This is what prompted this post and what most of the post is directed towards.

The first part of this bug is everyone's favorite, the "Download starting..." problem. This bug was fixed for a time, but was somehow re-introduced not long after it's fix. Basically, when a game is updating or downloading, the UI will say the download is starting, when it's quite obvious it was mid-way. It seems for some when it does this, the download actually stops. For others, like me, it continues. It can be very inconveniencing not being able to see how far it is. Many others have this problem I know.

The second part of the bug is when attempting to pause a download. Steam will just continue to download for minutes after I say to stop until it may or may not finally stop. This seemed like normal behavior for awhile, but if memory serves right, a "fix" was introduced some time back that caused downloads to pause almost immediately. Since Steam doesn't do that anymore, it seems that it is a bug, and that it has also been re-introduced. I'm not sure how many others have this, since most of my friends don't seem to pause their downloads.

The second part of the second part is that paused downloads will start back up when launching games, joining servers, or even changing maps. This becomes very, very frustrating and annoying when playing a game such as TF2. I've also not seen another with this bug, but like I said, most of my friends don't seem to be in the habit of pausing.

Window Size and Location: This only seems to happen to me when exiting through the system try shortcut. So, now that it's less important that it be fixed because I now have a workaround, a fix nevertheless would be nice.

This bug, which I've seen at least one other person have, is quite simply that Steam windows don't seem to remember their size or location after quitting through the system try shortcut.

These bugs, excluding the "Downloading starting.." bug, may be just isolated to me, or a very few individuals, but re-installing Steam had no effect, and it would seem to be Steam problem and not a computer problem, as Steam is the only program with these issues and only Steam-related activities cause them.

Of course, I may totally off the ball, and it's just my computer, but for as long as I've had them, I'm pretty sure they're Steam-related and that they really need to be fixed.

Last edited by Tannekr: 10-03-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:58 AM   #2
kakkerlak

Banned
it remembers the windows size fine for me.
just exit steam to store any changes you made , having windows kill the process does not store anything.
kakkerlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:01 AM   #3
Tannekr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakkerlak View Post
it remembers the windows size fine for me.
just exit steam to store any changes you made , having windows kill the process does not store anything.
I've had the problem for awhile now. It seems to persist even when quitting through "Exit" and through "Change User."
Tannekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:06 AM   #4
kakkerlak

Banned
maybe it depends on what you set your favorite window to in the interface settings.
mine is on games.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:17 AM   #5
Tannekr

Now this is weird, I knew the window location bug would be the most likely to be a computer problem, and that seems to be right. I just signed back in, and it remembered, which is bizarre since it hasn't worked for months, and it didn't when I re-installed, which was an hour or two ago. Weird. I'll edit my original post, but the downloading problems still remain.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:45 AM   #6
IStar_ScreamI

H-uh... for me the downloads appear to stop when I go in-game (I like to do stuff when I download) and it's very annoying to find out all that time I spent playing offline waiting for the download was wasted when I could have been playing online. ;_;
IStar_ScreamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:52 AM   #7
kakkerlak

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IStar_ScreamI View Post
H-uh... for me the downloads appear to stop when I go in-game (I like to do stuff when I download) and it's very annoying to find out all that time I spent playing offline waiting for the download was wasted when I could have been playing online. ;_;
thats one of my problems too we need more control there :P
if you toggle to your desk while ingame you can try and start the download again it is a hassle but it usualy works out for me.
just stop and start the download again

it has been too long ago I had the download starting problem.
the only thing I do differend now after a format is run the steam installer were before I would just run the steam.exe from the folder on my steam disk..

Last edited by kakkerlak: 10-01-2009 at 01:56 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:59 AM   #8
Pamper

Just because it says Download starting doesn't mean it means start from the beginning. It merely means to continue progress. And the fact that it's stuck in that pose is because it's trying to fit in a slot from the download servers. Point example: L4D Crash Course some days back. Went into this state fairly often. And when you were to push the process by starting L4D, it said the servers were too busy to process.
Pamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:33 AM   #9
Rainmaker77

I have all the pausing, download starting AND downloads resuming while playing games.

Start downloading a game, sometimes it doesn't give a % and just says 'Download starting'.

Try to pause a game download and sometimes it will just say 'Download stopping' but it will continue to download.

And then joining multi-player games Steam will sometimes resume the download, giving me some very nice ping numbers.

Annoying, but I've gotten used to it. A fix would be greatly appreciated however!

EDIT: Steam remembers my locations correctly, I use dual screen and my friends list and chat is on my secondary monitor, so I can view them while playing games. Steam always opens them on this monitor, so their location is definitely saved.

Another annoying bug is sometimes Steam won't remember games you've added via shortcut. Add a non Steam game, change its name and add it to favourites and upon restarting Steam it will be renamed to its original name and just be under 'games'. It takes several cycles of running Steam to get Steam to remember I've changed its information.

Last edited by Rainmaker77: 10-01-2009 at 05:37 AM.
Rainmaker77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:38 PM   #10
Tannekr

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one with the download problems.

In regards to Steam not saving my window location, I've figured out that closing Steam through the system tray shortcut will make it so it won't save my location. However, if I quit through Games > File > Exit, then it will save. Weird, but whatever.

EDIT: I can confirm that this happens to at least one other person. It seems to be really bizarre bug.

Last edited by Tannekr: 10-04-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:15 AM   #11
kakkerlak

Banned
that is weird I only exit trough the tray myself.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:00 PM   #12
Tannekr

Yeah, it seems to be a very bizarre bug. I would go into more detail, but I don't know very much yet. :|
Old 10-04-2009, 01:06 PM   #13
weedo

These bugs are really annoying and I have ranted about them in post after post, I have sent bug reports via steam support and NOTHING gets done. First they tell me that it's MY fault which it clearly isn't, so I do the steps they tell me to and I tell them the bugs still occur, then they tell me they will look into it and then they do nothing at all.

The bug where steam forgets shortcut names has been there since you could add shortcuts, so what, like 2 years...Steam download speeds have ALWAYS been crap and inconsistent, yeah, steam the digital content delivery service sucks at doing the one thing it is suppost to do - I mean look at when L4D Crash Course DLC came out, they ran out of bandwidth lol. Whenever a big game comes out everything grinds to a halt and why the hell does steam friends go offline at least once a day??

Is this a rant? Hell yeah, Valve never fix any bug I have reported it seems like they don't give a .
weedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #14
T@F

Third Bug.

It`s not saving our logins,so every-time i shut the computer down,then load it up a few hours later and run steam it`s asking me for the password to log on.
Plz fix asap.

I don`t want to be typing my password every-time i run steam say the next day.
It`s was ok until the lfd update tbh.
T@F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:49 AM   #15
kakkerlak

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@F View Post
Third Bug.

It`s not saving our logins,so every-time i shut the computer down,then load it up a few hours later and run steam it`s asking me for the password to log on.
Plz fix asap.

I don`t want to be typing my password every-time i run steam say the next day.
It`s was ok until the lfd update tbh.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...6&postcount=60

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion