Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
bdub
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Reputation: 0
Posts: 82
combat arms computer?

im wanting to play a fps that has teamed based vs npc like fireteam in combat arms and custom weapons and characters. im looking for a pre built that will be able to play this game. here are the system requirements:

Windows XP or Windows Vista Home Premium
Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz
512 MB RAM
GeForce FX 5600
DirectX 9.0c
2.0 GB free HD space
128 kbit/s ADSL or equivalent

i was wondering if this computer will work:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883114071
or:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883103215

and my budget is $370 tops so thats how limited i am and this is the only game i want to play mainly on the comp, everything else is lower requirements

Last edited by bdub: 10-02-2009 at 07:25 PM.
bdub is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
wttwoa
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
id like to know also because i want to play a few games around the same requirements and i have around the same budget
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
rotNdude
 
rotNdude's Avatar
 
Volunteer Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Reputation: 10627
Posts: 46,600
Combat Arms needs this:

REQUIREMENTS MINIMUM RECOMMENDED
OS Windows 2000 Windows XP or better
CPU Pentium 3 - 1GHz+ Pentium 4 - 2.4GHz+
MEMORY 256Mb RAM 512Mb RAM
VIDEO CARD GeForce 2 MX GeForce FX 5600 or better
DIRECT X Version 9.0C or later Version 9.0C or later
HARD DISK SPACE 2.0 Gb 2.0 Gb
INTERNET CONNECTION Cable/DSL Cable/DSL

I think you're safe with either computer.
rotNdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
bdub
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Reputation: 0
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotNdude View Post
Combat Arms needs this:

REQUIREMENTS MINIMUM RECOMMENDED
OS Windows 2000 Windows XP or better
CPU Pentium 3 - 1GHz+ Pentium 4 - 2.4GHz+
MEMORY 256Mb RAM 512Mb RAM
VIDEO CARD GeForce 2 MX GeForce FX 5600 or better
DIRECT X Version 9.0C or later Version 9.0C or later
HARD DISK SPACE 2.0 Gb 2.0 Gb
INTERNET CONNECTION Cable/DSL Cable/DSL

I think you're safe with either computer.
do u think combat arms will play on medium quality with the 2.6 hgz single core?
bdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
l4dr0cks123
 
Banned
Join Date: Jan 2009
Reputation: 99
Posts: 3,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
do u think combat arms will play on medium quality with the 2.6 hgz single core?
Yes because the architecture is much better than a P4 (which means it has a higher speed/Ghz).
l4dr0cks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
bdub
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Reputation: 0
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by l4dr0cks123 View Post
Yes because the architecture is much better than a P4 (which means it has a higher speed/Ghz).
thanks, i'll keep looking at computers but now this will most likely be the computer i get and if any1 has any other suggestions on computer let me know pls

Last edited by bdub: 10-02-2009 at 06:19 PM.
bdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #7
YahooElite
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Reputation: 782
Posts: 6,942
honestly those 2 suggestions from newegg CPU wise are fine, however the GPU they have will pose a problem.. i tried it out on my old 3.20GHZ Pent D with an 8500GT and 3GB of ram.. and even with my system tweaked it was a little sluggish if possible GPU wise dont settle for anything below a high end 8 series card or a mid range 9 series card.. you'll be better off.. integrated graphics like the ones those 2 builds have wont cut it..
YahooElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #8
bdub
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Reputation: 0
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by YahooElite View Post
honestly those 2 suggestions from newegg CPU wise are fine, however the GPU they have will pose a problem.. i tried it out on my old 3.20GHZ Pent D with an 8500GT and 3GB of ram.. and even with my system tweaked it was a little sluggish if possible GPU wise dont settle for anything below a high end 8 series card or a mid range 9 series card.. you'll be better off.. integrated graphics like the ones those 2 builds have wont cut it..
do u know of any other pre builts that will play combat arms and around the $370 mark?
also, does any1 know if newegg has christmas deals where alot of things r cut down on price?
bdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #9
lhwj
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Reputation: 829
Posts: 4,950
Buy this Compaq (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883109032) and add a 4650 for $50: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150393

Luke
lhwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:37 PM   #10
bdub
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Reputation: 0
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhwj View Post
do u think it would be safe using that card? i cant find how many watts the power supply is
bdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:40 PM   #11
lhwj
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Reputation: 829
Posts: 4,950
The 4650 is a fairly low end card. It would probably add only about 30-50 watts to the total system load. It doesn't even need a PCIe power connector.

The PC has a 300 watt supply.

It's good that you're concerned about important things like this though.

Luke
lhwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #12
bdub
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Reputation: 0
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhwj View Post
The 4650 is a fairly low end card. It would probably add only about 30-50 watts to the total system load. It doesn't even need a PCIe power connector.

The PC has a 300 watt supply.

It's good that you're concerned about important things like this though.

Luke
alright, thanks, the total is $394 + shipping. ill still keep looking though
bdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #13
steveroger
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Reputation: 281
Posts: 1,747
This is like the 3rd thread (and here) of yours on this kind of build ($350 to $400). Why do you keep opening new threads?

Last edited by steveroger: 10-03-2009 at 04:12 PM.
steveroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #14
mauricioGON
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Reputation: 12
Posts: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
do u think combat arms will play on medium quality with the 2.6 hgz single core?
i play on the highest with 2.2 single core
mauricioGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:21 PM   #15
bdub
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Reputation: 0
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricioGON View Post
i play on the highest with 2.2 single core
is that with intergrated or independant gpu?
bdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.