Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 10-03-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
Cyber_Raptor

Buying Games in a Different Country

I have been a Steam user for around a year now, and until recently, all my experiences with Steam have been positive. I liked the idea of buying games digitally, I enjoyed the friends interface, and I really enjoyed the deals the Steam store has to offer.

A few weeks back, I began a study abroad in Japan. I had no difficulties with Steam until this weekend when I saw some deals on some games I was interested in getting. So, I grab the games I want and go to checkout only to find that I am not allowed to purchase the games because I am living in a different country from my billing address. From this point, I began my frustrating search for a solution.

I searched through various forums and found that the only real solutions to this problem is either to have a friend gift me games or for me to contact customer support. Is it just me or does this seem like an unnecessary hassle. Why make the customer jump through hoops to buy games. Eventually they will just give up and go elsewhere.

Anyway, I did the only thing I could do and contacted support. I waited for a few days, and began to wonder if I would get any help from support before the deals on the games I want to buy went away. Thankfully, I did get a response today and the support person directed me to certain links, so I would be allowed to purchase the games.

I used one link, and things went as they should. I was able to buy a game. Clicking on the second link I went through the same process thinking it would also go smoothly, but I believe I was expecting too much from Steam. When I attempted to buy the second game I got an error saying my purchase had not been completed and I did not receive the game.

Honestly, I am beginning to get tired of this. Buying games from a store should not be a hassle for the customer. I should not have to contact support for every purchase I wish to make. I'm beginning to get the feeling that Steam doesn't want people buying games while in another country.

Anyway, I created this thread to try and knock some sense into Steam as well as ask if (and I truly doubt it) there is an easy fix to this problem.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:51 AM   #2
timonoj

Hi. Sorry that your rant didn't have quite a success. Maybe it's just that not that much people travels then buys games abroad. Sadly it's also my case. I'm spanish, but living now in Hong Kong.
Before I did something that worked for me from the Netherlands. Paying through Paypal. My card is linked to paypal, and validated. So I told steam that I would do the payment through paypal, and it worked fine. Now it is rejecting the transaction from Hong Kong, but without giving me any clue of what went wrong. I contacted Steam support today. I hope they reply soon...
timonoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
GrimBros

Yeah same problems for me. I can't use PayPlal or me card. It's for safety and what not, but if someone has my card I could careless if they were buys games. i mean they are going to buy something and games are the least of my worries. Valve could even ban their account if they found out.
Maybe not a lot of people travel like we do so valve gets this every now and then?
Old 09-19-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
Saikouze

TCK with occasional abroad studies in asia also, this problem is quite tedious, esp when the item in question has pre-order bonuses and you can't get it and you won't be back in your homeland before the game is released.
Saikouze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:30 PM   #5
GenericPlayer

I am having the same issue - trying to pay via PayPal after moving to Egypt for a year. Opened a customer support ticket yesterday, still no response.

I understand the need for security but this is too much. In the case of PayPal the money is coming in through a 'middle-man' who is already verifying my identity.
GenericPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:43 AM   #6
Alqualos

I ran into the same problem recently. After a bit of thinking, I entered the address of the hotel I'm currently staying at instead of the billing address, and it worked. I think that's because my bank doesn't verify the billing address, only CVV code. It feels like a bit of cheating, but hey, it's not my fault that this problem exists in the first place.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:57 AM   #7
pocpocpocky

As an airline pilot, I am constantly travelling between countries and sometimes I get really bored in my hotel room and wanna buy a new game but I am having the same trouble that all of you are experiencing, and am quite frustrated with the situation, i hope they change this soon.
pocpocpocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
cireful

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocpocpocky View Post
As an airline pilot, I am constantly travelling between countries and sometimes I get really bored in my hotel room and wanna buy a new game but I am having the same trouble that all of you are experiencing, and am quite frustrated with the situation, i hope they change this soon.
as a passanger, I am not comfortable knowing that the guy flying my plane plays games.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:51 PM   #9
Sir Richie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cireful View Post
as a passanger, I am not comfortable knowing that the guy flying my plane plays games.
Dude, he mentioned playing in a hotel room. What's your problem with that?
Sir Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #10
SDK94

I've solved the problem! What I did was: I put in my actual address (street name, city, province, zip code), but I changed the country to the one that I was actually in. It just went through somehow. Silly wabbits.
SDK94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:21 AM   #11
m4c4vity

SDK94's solution works! Credit card companies don't seem to check country, just address, state, zip code.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:25 AM   #12
Bocklin

One year on and this still works! Brilliant.
Bocklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #13
denimtrousers

Red face

This solution doesn't seem to work for me. I put in my street address as per usual and changed only the country (from UK to Canada), but I still get the error message. I'm about to open a new account with a Canadian address (my aunts' place) and buy the winter sale games as gifts to my proper account. It's the only thing I can think of. Very frustrated.
denimtrousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #14
Neuint

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK94 View Post
I've solved the problem! What I did was: I put in my actual address (street name, city, province, zip code), but I changed the country to the one that I was actually in. It just went through somehow. Silly wabbits.
This worked! Thanks a lot or sharing, you've saved a lot of people time and nerves.
Neuint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #15
Twys`

This worked for me too!! Sweeeeet! I've been struggling with this problem for 2 years in multiple countries! Finallyyyy a solution!!
Twys` is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips