Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
Baleur
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Reputation: 39
Posts: 508
So this sucks, and ArmA2 sucks. What do we do now?

If a new military sim doesnt poke its head up and reveals its existance, its pretty much game over..
ArmA2, buggy, unfinished, unpolished.
OFDR, not buggy, but ty controls and ty graphics (literally, the brown is hurting my eyes), and not to forget ty ai with a bit of ty replayability.

What now? Whats left? Arma 1? Operation Flashpoint 1? lol.
As great as those games were, we gotta move on. But to what?
If only someone could make an ArmA / Operation Flashpoint game with the Far Cry 2 engine, i'd be all set.

This sort of feels like what the RTS genre is going through now, with the ultra fail of Dawn of War 2 (which isnt an rts anymore), and Red Alert 3 (which is a 2min match game), where the only last hope for the genre is Starcraft 2.
Baleur is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
sgpigeon
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Sins of a solar empire is relatively new, and non ty. Give it a try, it is something else.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
warmaster670
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Reputation: 122
Posts: 1,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baleur View Post

This sort of feels like what the RTS genre is going through now, with the ultra fail of Dawn of War 2 (which isnt an rts anymore), and Red Alert 3 (which is a 2min match game), where the only last hope for the genre is Starcraft 2.
DoW2>>SC, and sorry to break your bubble, but DoW2 is a RTS game whether you like it or not.
warmaster670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
jaundiced
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
i hear ya.. arma 2 was a terrible letdown.. even now after patches. and this defintitely isn't any better.

let's hope battlefield 3 is worth it when it finally hits.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:56 PM   #5
zachanscom
 
Banned
Join Date: Sep 2009
Reputation: 44
Posts: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baleur View Post
If a new military sim doesnt poke its head up and reveals its existance, its pretty much game over..
ArmA2, buggy, unfinished, unpolished.
OFDR, not buggy, but ty controls and ty graphics (literally, the brown is hurting my eyes), and not to forget ty ai with a bit of ty replayability.

What now? Whats left? Arma 1? Operation Flashpoint 1? lol.
As great as those games were, we gotta move on. But to what?
If only someone could make an ArmA / Operation Flashpoint game with the Far Cry 2 engine, i'd be all set.

This sort of feels like what the RTS genre is going through now, with the ultra fail of Dawn of War 2 (which isnt an rts anymore), and Red Alert 3 (which is a 2min match game), where the only last hope for the genre is Starcraft 2.
not much you can do but sit and wait.

this has been a terrible gaming year for me. aa3 turned out to be a disaster, and these hyped up to the moon titles turned out to be even worse.

probably the only year i haven't bought a single game.
zachanscom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #6
Zombie Pawn
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Reputation: 0
Posts: 177
I concur: 2009 has got to be one of the worst years for gaming. Empire: Total War was a big, buggy letdown. DoW 2 was a surprising step backwards for one of the best RTS games ever. ArmA II, while getting better, left something to be desired. Now DR is not holding my attention either (in fact, I am finding that it makes ArmA II seem better, somehow ).

I second the motion for Sins of a Solar Empire - Entrenchment. Also, Sword of the Stars: Argus Naval Yard. Seems like the sci-fi 4X strategy games are the only winners this year!

PS: Just to get back to DR. It is not a bad game, but it is somewhat surprising that I think it is in the same boat as ArmA II - it will need a lot of tender care with patches and DLC to bring it up to where we were all hoping it would be.
Zombie Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #7
Fozzy the bear
 
Banned
Join Date: Aug 2007
Reputation: 41
Posts: 782
http://www.1944d-day.com/

This game is under development and should be released around 2010/11. I have no doubt it will make its way to Steam.

Quote:
1944 D-Day Operation Overlord is the simulation of an event. It does not strive to tell the story of one unit or one squad. Instead it endeavors to tell the story of the battle. The game at its core is driven by a highly adaptable AI system, this AI system controls over 250,000 units in real-time. Moving them all around the battlefield and adapting their orders, objectives and tasks to an every evolving battlefield.

As the player the game is in your control. You have the ability to choose from any unit in the battlefield, so you will always find something interesting to take part in. If you are a war nut, fan of tanks, planes, infantry or squad based combat, or just interested in large scale first person shooters. 1944 D-Day Operation Overlord will always have something distinct and interesting to offer you.

Some Important things to note about 1944 D-Day Operation Overlord:

* Realistic Squad tactics based on actual military training guides.
* 100% Authentic
o With over 50 WW2 weapons
o With over 200 vehicles, planes, tanks, boats and artillery
o All of Normandy recreated from photos, maps and drawings
o Realistic controls and accurate simulation.
* Every Unit, Every Nation.
o Germany
o UK
o US
o Canada
o Australia
o New Zealand
o And many more
* Realistic AI controlling every aspect of the game.
o The AI controls the emotions and feelings of every unit
o Coordinates realistic tactics and movements
o Manages over 250,000 units real-time.
* Large open dynamic maps, that live and breath alongside the combat.
o Animals that react to the combat
o Grass and trees that flow with the wind
o Buildings and terrain that take realistic damage
o 24 Hour clock, watch the sun rise as the battles continue
* Witness all areas of combat, from any number of perspectives.
o Omaha Beach
o Utah Beach
o Sword Beach
o Juno Beach
o Gold Beach
o Point Du Hoc
o Bayeux region
o Caen
o Benouville
o St Mere Eglise
o Carentan
o And many other areas full realised
* Large Open Multiplayer and Co-Op system for 128+ players.
Fozzy the bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:00 PM   #8
Zombie Pawn
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Reputation: 0
Posts: 177
Thanks for the heads up on that game! Sounds interesting! I just wish it wasn't WWII again. Getting real tired of that period. I wish someone would make an epic, land based sci-fi wargame; something like Ogre/GEV or an adaptation of Hammer's Slammers.

Someday....
Zombie Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #9
.~'~.Camo.~'~.
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Reputation: 12
Posts: 302
sci-fi fails
.~'~.Camo.~'~. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #10
Zombie Pawn
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Reputation: 0
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by .~'~.Camo.~'~. View Post
sci-fi fails
Thank you for that informed opinion.
Zombie Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:09 PM   #11
.~'~.Camo.~'~.
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Reputation: 12
Posts: 302
no problem
.~'~.Camo.~'~. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #12
Awac
 
Banned
Join Date: May 2009
Reputation: 0
Posts: 39
Neither OFP2 or Arma2 sucks. Get real.
Awac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:43 PM   #13
swhitm
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Is ARMA1 and 2 and OFP(DR) consider simulations or shooters, action. and yea its been a bad gaming year, im a Konsole Kid and the console didnt do to well I bought into the hype of ODST that was a waste of money and i pre-order OFPDR for 360 hope i dont get screwed and worst of all i quit gaming if COD MW2 is a letdown with all the hype 97% sure its not, cause its brainwashed me into thinking its going to be the best game ever even if its not to critics or those with credible backgrounds
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:21 AM   #14
Fozzy the bear
 
Banned
Join Date: Aug 2007
Reputation: 41
Posts: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by swhitm View Post
Is ARMA1 and 2 and OFP(DR) consider simulations or shooters, action. and yea its been a bad gaming year, im a Konsole Kid and the console didnt do to well I bought into the hype of ODST that was a waste of money and i pre-order OFPDR for 360 hope i dont get screwed and worst of all i quit gaming if COD MW2 is a letdown with all the hype 97% sure its not, cause its brainwashed me into thinking its going to be the best game ever even if its not to critics or those with credible backgrounds
I'm really trying to understand you, but your horrible grammar and sentence flow is like like spinning around multiple times until you get so sick to your stomach that you blow chunks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhitm View Post
Is ARMA1 and 2 and OFP(DR) consider simulations or shooters, action. and yea its been a bad gaming year,
Arma2 is a mil-sim and OFPDR is a "tactical shooter."

Last edited by Fozzy the bear: 10-08-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Fozzy the bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:56 AM   #15
PenPen
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
For an RTS, I recommend defcon. It's very unique. AT first it looks simple but play it online and you'll discover the depth the game requires if you want to win. stay away if your the kind of person who only cares about graphics though, Its very retro Ala 'wargames' the movie.

For FPS games, well, Tactical intervention is meant to come out at the end of this year.

Last edited by PenPen: 10-08-2009 at 01:58 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2012, All Rights Reserved.