Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Half-Life DS (Windows)

Old 04-01-2010, 08:44 AM   #1771
Detrol88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
That's a lot of servers to be running on that kind of a connection. How may clients per server are you trying to run? Are you hosting anything else on that connection? And you're right, your hardware shouldn't be an issue.
I take it as those rates works both ways 100 or 10 than, thanks, will try! .

They are 10 slot each, so it's a pretty small number.
Usualy the servers doesnt get that many either, mostly between 6-8 when all are rented.
And the only thing im running more is a couple of websites that are very light weight.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #1772
Drek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detrol88 View Post
I take it as those rates works both ways 100 or 10 than, thanks, will try! .

They are 10 slot each, so it's a pretty small number.
Usualy the servers doesnt get that many either, mostly between 6-8 when all are rented.
And the only thing im running more is a couple of websites that are very light weight.
Totally lucky guess. Yes those rates work perfectly for five 10 slot servers as long as you aren't running anything else on that connection.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:17 PM   #1773
Mr. Owl

Hi I really need some help. I recently started helping a friend run his server hosted by the game monsters in Australia. He has been on holiday, the server has been upgraded to a 28 slot and now is lagging REAL bad being new to this I've tried following this guide to fix this problem. No luck I sent a support ticket to the server host who told me to change the following:
sv_maxrate 30000
sv_minrate 15000
To:
sv_maxrate 336000
sv_minrate 200

In some way this fixed it in others made it worse
PLEASE help!
Old 04-24-2010, 05:22 AM   #1774
CG1

Wat is your connection speed?
Run a speed test at www.speedtest.net to find out. Post download and upload speed.
CG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #1775
Drek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Owl View Post
Hi I really need some help. I recently started helping a friend run his server hosted by the game monsters in Australia. He has been on holiday, the server has been upgraded to a 28 slot and now is lagging REAL bad being new to this I've tried following this guide to fix this problem. No luck I sent a support ticket to the server host who told me to change the following:
sv_maxrate 30000
sv_minrate 15000
To:
sv_maxrate 336000
sv_minrate 200

In some way this fixed it in others made it worse
PLEASE help!
This is a problem with your host and it sounds to me as though they aren't that knowledgeable, and/or they aren't providing the bandwidth and hardware you need to support that many slots.

The key to getting a handle on lag isn't sv_maxrate and sv_minrate, it is sv_maxupdaterate and sv_maxcmdrate. If you get that right your sv_maxrate and sv_minrate won't be all that important, as long as they are high enough to support your sv_maxupdaterate.

What I would suggest is the following

sv_maxrate 50000
sv_minrate 5000
net_splitpacket_maxrate 25000
sv_maxupdaterate 60
sv_minupdaterate 10
sv_maxcmdrate 60
sv_mincmdrate 10

If you are still experiencing lag issues lower sv_maxupdaterate and sv_maxcmdrate to 40. If you are having no problems with lag try raising them to 80, then 100 (but I would suggest stopping there).

If your host can't support update and cmd rates of 40, you need to find another host, as you are being ripped off. If you have absolutely no other options for hosting, try 20.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:48 PM   #1776
Mr. Owl

Thank you sooo much Drek for your insight I've managed to get the problem down to a playable amount but yes this host is quite bad and doesn't seem to handle 28 slot from everything you are saying so I'm looking for a new host then suggesting it to the owner

thank you very much again :P
Old 04-25-2010, 06:43 AM   #1777
CG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
net_splitpacket_maxrate 25000
sv_maxcmdrate 60
sv_mincmdrate 10
Do these only apply to certain games? Just tried them on my server now and they do not appear to exist at all.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:47 AM   #1778
Drek

They only apply to SRCDS. I just assumed that given the rates that were being suggested to him that he was running SRCDS. I should have made that clear.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:41 AM   #1779
Mr. Owl

Hey sorry Im back to bother you again Drek I have had a reply form the server host

Quote:
Im just having a look at your server and it is generating a lot of errors "m_vecBaseVelocity player out of range" this is constantly spamming your servers console with approximately 10 messages a second. This may have a detrimental impact on your servers performance particular as the player load increases. Physically there is no reason why your server should be lagging your on a quad core server with more than adequate available resources for a tf2 server.

Thanks,

Robert
TheGameMonsters
TGM Networks, LLC
Would you know what "m_vecBaseVelocity player out of range" is and anyway to fix this problem? the server is an alltalk (micspam alot of the time) it runs alot of mods and maps would one of the plugins be causing this? or maybe a map? thank you so much for your help so far

I also asked people to check their console they got this at the lag spikes

PLAYER1 : itSound: pitch out of bounds = 284EmitSound: pitch out of bounds = 283EmitSound: pitch out of bounds = 282EmitSound: pitch
PLAYER2: EmitSound: pitch out of bounds = 319
PLAYER3 : EmitSound: pitch out of bounds = 296ConVarRef hud_quickinfo doesn't point to an existing ConVarConVarRef cl_himodels doesn

Last edited by Mr. Owl: 04-26-2010 at 03:06 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:46 AM   #1780
PIČO

other network related cvars

Hi Drek,

You are talking about sv_maxrate here, sys_ticrate there. What about other HLDS network related cvars:

Code:
sv_unlag 1			// It allows the clients to use lag compensation. Leave this ON
sv_unlagsamples 2		// Sets the amount of packets that will be averaged to find the ping to compensate for
sv_maxunlag 0.20		// Sets the maximum amount of seconds that the netcode compensates for someone's ping. (0.5 = 500ms default)

max_queries_sec 10           	// Max queries per second per user (averaged over max_queries_window).
max_queries_sec_global 100  	// Max queries per second for all queries.
max_queries_window 60		// It's part of the rate limiting code to Out-Of-Band queries (i.e. players, info). It defines time window to average query rates over.
What max_queries_sec/sv_unlagsamples do you recommend for high-speed (4mgbit upload), max 10 player HLDS server, please?
PIČO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:21 AM   #1781
Drek

This is a really old thread, and a lot has changed on the internet since I posted this. I've also been out of server operation for several years, so I'm afraid I don't feel qualified to answer anymore questions on this. Although by the sounds of it, with 4mbps upload and only ten players, you are probably able to run your server at max settings and not worry about the information in this thread.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:54 AM   #1782
CG1

I'd also leave those CVAR's at their defaults. You really need a special reason to be modifying those options.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Half-Life DS (Windows)