Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Half-Life DS (Windows)

Old 08-19-2004, 08:22 AM   #181
bmwzm8

i 56k'd back in 99' till like 01'

i still do on days when the cable gets shut down for some reason... i dont get 56k'ers, actually i havent had any at my server in probably a year, were just a bunch of lpb's, we all get under 20 :-O
Old 08-19-2004, 10:48 AM   #182
Derox

okay...

any of u can help me how I should config my server? I got an Pentium 4 3.2 GHZ hyperthreading cpu with 1024 ram

my con has 10 MBIT (1.3 MB/s) upload, and 21 MBIT (about 2.5 MB/s) upload, this makes it a 10 MBIT full duplex(I can download and send in 1.3 MB/s at the same time) what configs is the best for me if I wanna run a server with max slots 12?
Old 08-19-2004, 03:41 PM   #183
Drek

@ Derox

uhhh lol, your server is really easy to config

sv_maxrate 20000
sv_minrate 0
sv_maxupdaterate 100
sv_minupdaterate 0

You could easily run a 32 person server with those same settings. Is there some reason why you are only running a 12 person server?
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 05:23 PM   #184
DisposableHero

anyone know if this thread applies to cs:s? thx
Old 08-19-2004, 06:09 PM   #185
Drek

As far as I know this thread does not apply to CS Source. The net code is completely different as are the basic game demands. Again, this is as far as I know, but perhaps someone who knows more than I do can give a better answer.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:28 AM   #186
Derox

Drek, its no fun playing with 31 other persons, anything over 12 maxslots is to much, cus meeting 12 people when running around a corner takes the fun outa cs
Old 08-20-2004, 06:39 AM   #187
pelleplutt

Rates for my match server

Hi there I have been following this thread and find it very interesting. I live in Sweden and some of us are spoiled with great internet connections. I have 12 mbit down and 9 mbit up where my cs server is. My goal is to run one or two cs servers with space for 10 players and HLTV on each server. The hardware is a P4 3.06 ghz with 1024 mb ram and the server aplication is installed to a 10000 rpm raptor drive.

As i stated earlier this server or hopefully servers will be used for serious online matches and therefore need to ping very low. All the clients using the server will be using cl_cmdrate 101 cl_updatreate 101 and rate 25000.

What would be the best rates for the servers? I am thinking about using these:

sv_maxrate 0
sv_minrate 0
sv_maxupdaterate 100

I get my hardware on monday and would like to be prepared as I need to have the servers up really quick.

Thanks in advance for your ideas and feedback.

Yours,
Pelle
Old 08-20-2004, 08:35 AM   #188
Drek

@ pelleplutt

Those rates you suggest should work just fine. That hardware will be more than enough to run two ten person servers at the rates you are intending to use.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:57 AM   #189
pelleplutt

Is it correct that those are the maximum rates that should result in the best possible performance given my connection and the hardware or can I get even more out of it in any way?
Old 08-20-2004, 09:09 AM   #190
Drek

The only things I can suggest is that you raise process priority for HLDS and that you use WinHL-Booster. There are a couple of posts about that in this thread. I would suggest the mEAn ServerLoader, that will allow you to run hlds as a service and restart your servers for you should they crash. It will also allow you to raise process priority.

I posted this in the other posts, but the trick to using WinHL-Booster, in my opinion, is to be conservative. Aim for server fps of 100, not 200 +. There is really no good reason to aim for a server fps higher than 100. The only problem I can forsee is if you are using a Xeon processor. I'm not sure that WinHL-Booster will work with a Xeon processor, but it might, you'll have to research that on your own.

mEAn ServerLoader

Booster
Old 08-24-2004, 11:49 PM   #191
$uP3Rm4n

wouldnt recommended usign hl booster on both servers if u do plan on hosting 2 servers on that machine... when both servers are completely full ur cpu consumption will be a lot.... not sure if it will make it unstable, but IMO i wouldnt use hl booster for both
Old 08-25-2004, 06:27 AM   #192
Drek

I've never run more than one server on my machine, so I don't really know this for sure, but I think that you can use both methods with the more recent versions of Booster safely on more than one server at a time. I may be wrong about that, but I think that maybe you can.

Really old versions of WinHL-Booster would boost every instance of HLDS on your computer, all you had to do was install it and run it on one of them. But it seems to me there were problems with those versions.

However, I said this already, but it is worth repeating, be conservative with Booster. Aim for a server fps of 100, not for a server fps of 200+, especially if you are running multiple instances of HLDS on the same machine. My personal experience with the Booster Lite method was also not very good, so I would recommend the other method - but the best way to figure it out is to try it yourself.

One thing I really liked about the other method (the version I like - 1.70) is that you can set it up so that if your cpu load rises above a certain level, Booster will throttle the server back, if cpu load falls below a certain level, it will boost it more. I have found that this really works well. I don't know if the most recent versions of Booster can do this, but I am guessing they still do.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:09 PM   #193
xeonkiller711

This should be stickied! Once again thanks for the great help! It helped me and more!
Old 08-26-2004, 11:35 PM   #194
Whisper

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Drek
The only things I can suggest is that you raise process priority for HLDS and that you use WinHL-Booster. There are a couple of posts about that in this thread. I would suggest the mEAn ServerLoader, that will allow you to run hlds as a service and restart your servers for you should they crash. It will also allow you to raise process priority.

I posted this in the other posts, but the trick to using WinHL-Booster, in my opinion, is to be conservative. Aim for server fps of 100, not 200 +. There is really no good reason to aim for a server fps higher than 100. The only problem I can forsee is if you are using a Xeon processor. I'm not sure that WinHL-Booster will work with a Xeon processor, but it might, you'll have to research that on your own.

mEAn ServerLoader

Booster
<sigh>

WinHL Booster works on Xeons and Dual Xeon setups!

Why would you think otherwise?

All our servers are dual Xeons running Windows 2000, and all of them except our 32 player servers are ping boosted with WinHLBooster.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:57 AM   #195
Drek

Thanks for the info. For some reason I thought I had read somewhere that Booster didn't work on Xeons. But thanks for straightening out my misinformation...

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Half-Life DS (Windows)