Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 09:06 AM   #1
WASTED888

Steam Forgot Password

Two days ago I tried booting Steam as I usualy do via the shortcut on desktop, this usualy auto inputs my username and password details etc. However due to the last steam update being bugged all our passwords have been lost? or the built in routine that should remember the details is fecked and isnt remembering the details for passwords.

So I got an pop up box asking me to enter my password etc, my prob is I have lost the notebook that had my passwords written down in, and as I cant remember my password I cant log in.

This shouldnt be a problem right? it should be a simple matter of sending an email to steam and asking to alter my password with a new one?

I used steams tool to change the password, it asked for my username etc and posted the request off to steam, after waiting for 30 mins I got an email reply with a verification code num to use when logging a new password.
So I entered the Ver code num, and I then get a message asking me to type in my passphrase?
What is a passphrase? there is no info on the page explaining what a passphrase is and I had to go online and search webpages for info, and allthough I found no real info I am now assuming the passphrase actualy means the secret word/question I was asked to set up 3 years ago when I joined steam?
But unsupprisingly this secret word info was written on the same page as my steam password? so I dont know the answer to this passphrase question.
So becus of Steams crap system of changeing our passwords Im unable to do feck all now
The pop up box wont allow me to go any further in changing my details becus of these missing secret words.
So I wrote a ticket to the steam support guys, (ha thats an oximoron if ever I heard one) so far I have been waiting 26 hours and still no reply from steam support.

changing a password with ANY other program I have usualy takes me about 3 mins, I send an email and get a reply straight back with the vercode info to enter into the pop up and Im auto directed to a page where I can type in a new password, its a simple 3 min process.
But not with Steam, 26 hours later and I still cant log into steam or play the games I paid for?

Get this friggin password bug sorted asap or I will be canceling my account and in future buy my games from makers that dont feck me about with a crap system like yours where im forced to run a bugged and broken front end prog just so I can run the game.
I have looked though the forums and there are dozens of sim post to mine from your customers that are having this password login problem, and what have you done about it, feck all is what.

Last edited by Matt: 10-11-2009 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Removed Inappropriate Comments

Old 10-11-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
Andy M. J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASTED888 View Post
I have looked though the forums and there are dozens of sim post to mine from your customers that are having this password login problem, and what have you done about it, feck all is what.
It never occurred to you that they may be working on fixing this bug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichKaethler View Post
If you are having problems with your cached password please try the steam client beta. Feel free to PM me with the results ( give it at least 24 hours ) fixed or not.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
Matt

Volunteer Moderator - I was on TV!
Threats of violence are not tolerated here. Refrain from posting such comments.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
Dodel

Check your spam filters / spam box. I had the same issue, the Parahphrase is (in my recent case), sent in another email (same address however), which was filtered to my spam. I sat for an hour thinking the same only to stumble on it in my spam.

You should have two emails, one that has the verification code, and one that has an numerical paraphrase. At least that's what I had when my account was recently hijacked, I assume it's the same for resetting / recovery also.

Edit : (Gawd knows what's going on with all these dupe threads)

Old 10-11-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
Matt

Volunteer Moderator - I was on TV!
Support takes 2-5 days to reply. Plus, this is a holiday weekend. Please be patient.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
WASTED888

re your advice to please try the steam client beta, do I not have to be logged into steam in order to find that service?

Old 10-11-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
WASTED888

as for being patient, I have been, but as stated a number of times all I want to do is add a new password, this is something I have had to do many times with lots of diff services and in ALL cases it takes about 3 mins, why do Steam have to be so slow, there is no excuse for this, the support service is not working and needs sorting out, this is 2009 not 1995 when I 1st got online and had teething probs, a service like changing ones passwords should be a simple task, and is for every other service I use, it seems its not that simple for Steam though, I wonder why?

Old 10-11-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
WASTED888

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichKaethler
If you are having problems with your cached password please try the steam client beta. Feel free to PM me with the results ( give it at least 24 hours ) fixed or not.

The problem with the passwords not being remembered isnt what I am having probs with, if you read my post my problem is I need to change my password so I can log into steam, but thx for ya reply cus no doubt when I do eventualy manage to change my details Steam will then loose them and I will have the problem you are refering to

Old 10-11-2009, 10:25 AM   #9
WASTED888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodel View Post
Check your spam filters / spam box. I had the same issue, the Parahphrase is (in my recent case), sent in another email (same address however), which was filtered to my spam. I sat for an hour thinking the same only to stumble on it in my spam.

You should have two emails, one that has the verification code, and one that has an numerical paraphrase. At least that's what I had when my account was recently hijacked, I assume it's the same for resetting / recovery also.

Edit : (Gawd knows what's going on with all these dupe threads)
I have just resent another request to change my password in the hope that your info above is correct and that I missed this second email you talk of?
But there is no 2nd email all I recieved is the following message,,,

Dear Steam user (account name: wasted888),

This is an automated message generated by Steam account administration to help you reset your Steam password.

Please enter the following code into the 'Verification Code' field of the 'Forgotten Password' dialog. (Enter the code exactly as written. You can use copy/paste operations to enter the code):

******** (altered by myself to hide the ver code info)

Please also enter the *answer* to the following question into the 'Secret Answer' field of the same dialog:

What did customer support last reset your passphrase to?

IMPORTANT: Please do not reply to this message to attempt to reset your password -- that won't work. You must enter the above information into the Steam application.

Signed,

The Steam Support Team

As I have no idea what steam last changed this passphrase to or even what the hell its refering to, Im unable to get any further. so could someone do steams support job for them and let me know what it is they mean by the passphrase? is it as I suspect the secret question/word i was asked for 3 yeears ago when I set up the account? or is it something else?
thx for any help

Old 10-11-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
WASTED888

To the moderator Mat,
I assume it was you that altered the title of my thread becus of what you called threats of violence? well please re alter it becus my problem has nothing to do with lost passwords etc, this is an entirly diff problem that steam users are having at the moment, if you are going to do a moderators job then do it correctly, ie read the post and and understand the problem before you reply, So again I will state the problem below.

I need to change my log on details, ie the password so I can get onto steam, I sent a request but recieved back an email asking me for a passphrase answer? as I have no clue what this refers to I am unable to complete the request to alter my details and having sent a request for help to the support team and 28 hours later Im still waiting to do something that every other service I use only takes 3 mins to do.

Surely somebody knows what this Passphrase question is refering to?

Old 10-11-2009, 10:52 AM   #11
CatzEyes93

Wasted, your horrible attitude is getting you ignored. Just thought you should know.

Meanwhile, you are demanding assistance by a forum that cannot help you. The only folks that can really help you is support. Did you submit a support ticket? Your ticket will be answered in the order it was received, normally 3-5 business days.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #12
Andy M. J.

Quote:
What did customer support last reset your passphrase to?
=

Quote:
What did customer service last reset your password to?
Have you requested a password reset before? I think so, and there is just no way you remember what they reset your password to (I'm assuming).
So, you have to request a password and Secret Question/Answer reset.
It does take some time for them to reply but they will reply sooner or later. You just need to be patient.

The exact same thing happened to me just about one week ago. I forgot my password and couldn't reset it without contacting Support because the Secret Question was "What did customer support last reset your passphrase to?"

Anyway, I contacted the Steam Support(on a weekday), gave them the information they needed and they responded the next day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzEyes93
Wasted, your horrible attitude is getting you ignored.
True, that is why I didn't try to help you in my first post.

EDIT: Next time they reset your Secret Question, try to remember to change it.

Last edited by Andy M. J.: 10-11-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:04 AM   #13
CatzEyes93

I think it is one of those things where the account is inaccessable, steam support helps but it also means they reset everything, then you get the account back but forget to correctly set up the rest of the settings.

It can happen. It is an innocent mistake.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:28 AM   #14
WASTED888

Ok first, I do NOT have an horrible attitude, I have replied to a few of the peeps on here with an ironic and sarcastic attitude becus that is what they deserve, for eg the moderator that 1st deleted my post becus I metioned the word baseball bat, this was a joke and anyone with an iota of comman sense would have seen that, so I re submitted the same post but altered the word baseball bat with the word megaphone (ie to get the attention of the support team) and again the moron didnt like the word megaphone? and decided to change the title of my my post to (STEAM FORGOT PASSWORD) this is not the problem I am having, I have stated clearly about 6 times allready that my problem is I need to know what the support team mean by the term PASSPHRASE?
I assume it to be the secret word/question I was asked when I signed up with steam, but not sure if that is correct.
So stop telling me my attitude stinks, any comments I have made that may sound negative have been aimed at the steam support team, NOT members and users that have sent replies, to all members that have replied I send my thx and appreication, even though there advice has been wrong, but thats becus of the wisdom of the moderator changeing the title of my thread to something that has sod all to do with my problem becus he assumes the word megaphone is a threat or act of violence? FYI the original thread was titled,, Anyone living near the steam office and has a baseball bat handy?
That was of course a joke and as i stated in the post I was ranting, so it was homour and nothing more, but the mod deleted my thread becus of his lack of a sence of irony, so I re submitted the post with exacly the same words apart from the thread title, I altered it to ,,, Anyone living near the steam office and has a megaphone handy? again this was humour and hardly offensive, but the mod deemed it so and decided to rename the thread to ,,, STEAM FORGOT PASSWORD,
steam hasnt forgot my password, I have, my problem and this thread is that I need to alter my log in details and change my PW but cant becus of the crap system steam use's to do this, as I stated above, changing a password is something I and many of us have to do sometimes and in all cases with every other service I have used the process takes about 3 mins, but not with steam, and when theres a problem they expect me to wait up to 5 days for a reply? that is not acceptable in 2009, I have many games on my pc that I have paid £100s for and Im unable to play them becus of steams system of changing a password, if other companies can do this in 3 mins why cant steam? why does it take 5 days for there support team to reply? becus they dont give a rats about there customers thats why, they have taken our money and thats all they care about, so personaly when peeps treat me this way I will let it be known what a bunch of useless s they are, and if there support team dosent reply then I will add that info here or anywhere I can to get my message heard.
So as stated above, none of my rants are aimed at users or members, they are for the attention of the support team only.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:05 PM   #15
Andy M. J.

I believe that we have answered your questions. I don't see why you'd want someone from the Support Team to say the same thing.

Also, I don't think you understand how busy they are. You think they get 10 questions per day? You think they just sit there and drink chocolate milk all day? Sigh...

The only thing you can do right now is to wait.

BTW, they probably don't give a rats what you think of them.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips