Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 10-25-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
jacensolo1

Steam downloads and Sleep mode

Is there a way to make Windows 7 think it is busy while downloading something from Steam? So, when it is finished downloading the computer no longer thinks it is busy and will go into sleep mode after whatever time it is set to?

Old 10-29-2009, 09:16 AM   #2
Jsalinger

Same problem

I am having the same problem with Windows 7. On long steam downloads, the PC goes to sleep and stops downloading. I could disable sleep, but I would prefer to keep those settings as they are. I just want Windows to recognize that downloading via Steam is not idle activity. This may be something Steam needs to tell Windows.
Jsalinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
flowover

Just change the option. It's so much easier. Control Panel, Power Options, Change Plan Settings, Put the computer to sleep -Never-.

Then once it's done downloading turn it back on. Excelsior!!

ps - This isn't a windows 7 issue. This is a lazy user issue.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:11 AM   #4
Snarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowover View Post
ps - This isn't a windows 7 issue. This is a lazy user issue.
I do not agree on the lazy user statement, it would be nice if there was a way to put off Sleep mode based on network or CPU activity at a given threshold point.
Snarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:32 AM   #5
Dobbo25

I had this issue also and posted as a new thread. Was downloading a game, and sleep mode interfered somehow. Now can't get the download working again :S
Old 11-12-2009, 12:52 AM   #6
Maledict21

You would think this is something that Valve would have already fixed. Hopefully Steam will make use of the WinAPI dealing with Sleep mode soon.
Maledict21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:29 PM   #7
mundox86

I left a game downloading last night just to wake up and find the computer in sleep mode and the game with only a 2% downloaded, it really jarateed me off.

This doesn't happend when I left something downloading in, lets say, utorrent (unlicensed anime if anyone needs to know).

Valve should really add an option to stop the windows from going to sleep mode if steam is downloading something.
mundox86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:38 AM   #8
RamDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarl View Post
I do not agree on the lazy user statement, it would be nice if there was a way to put off Sleep mode based on network or CPU activity at a given threshold point.
Snarl - you are so right! This no solution.
I have the same problem, not only with steam downloads. In Windows Vista there have been sleep-options for network-activity like these for multimedia in Windows 7. I don't have a solution yet, but if I have one I'll post here. I think there will be no solution without help from Microsoft, because these otions are simply missing in the user menue fom Windows 7. And registry settings - if possible? - are not for everybody, but everybody has the same Windows 7 problem.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
redsteven

Same problem here : \

any news?
redsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #10
cheeseus

Banned
This isn't a proper fix but maybe it can help someone. As far as I know there are some ways (application?) that disables sleep mode with one button press or has more advanced ways to control power saving than windows itself has for this kind of situation. Dunno/remember exactly but if there is something you can prolly find it by googling.
cheeseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #11
PandaManJack

I don't like this either. I sometimes get errors downloading where it will pause my download and won't allow me to resume. really weird
Old 10-05-2010, 06:04 AM   #12
KishKiai

Any news on the going to sleep issue? Steam had some updates since.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:49 PM   #13
jaklucid

There is a program called "Insomnia" that you can run, that will prevent your computer from sleeping while it's open.

You could also try Windows Media Player, Media Center, VLC or another media player of your choice. You might have to check the program settings depending on Windows version and program version settings might be in different locations or function slightly differently, and possibly play a file on loop and muted. But that should stop your computer from sleeping. What program will work best depends on your version of Windows. Some torrent programs also disable sleep while seeding, utorrent and others. Just check settings.

Depending on your version of Windows, network adapter, drivers, router, home network and network traffic you might get really lucky with this one, totally automated and native to windows. I don't recommend it because more then likely it won't work with most setups, or might wake your computer while it's in sleep when you wouldn't want it to. But here is how to do it anyways;
goto device manager
highlight your network adapter
right click on properties
select Power Management tab
Make sure "Allow this device to wake the computer" is selected
Uncheck "Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer
select the Advanced tab, check to see if redundant settings are the same.
If you are really lucky, it won't sleep while there is traffic, and if it does it will wake up while there is still traffic, and sleep and stop waking after traffic has stopped. You might also try toggling the setting "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" if it doesn't give the desired effect.

I recommend trying Windows Media Player first. We all have it. Just make sure "Allow screensaver while playing" settings are correct. Maybe loop a file on mute. Or setup a playlist for however long you wish your computer to stay awake.

I know this isn't as good as steam doing it themselves. Just some info that might help someone.

Last edited by jaklucid: 10-05-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #14
crashey

I found a tiny program called Mouse Jiggler that keeps the machine awake.
crashey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips