Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 10-25-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
SandwhichThing

Banned
Question Computer Doesn't Recognize Headphones/Microphones

Hey everyone,

Title says it all really. Whenever I plug in my headphones/microphone to the little green/red outlet on the front of my PC, it doesn't recognize them/realize they're plugged in. Any suggestions? I just downloaded an audio driver update for my motherboard, could this have screwed it up?
Old 10-25-2009, 09:06 PM   #2
Enigma

Sounds like a driver issue. The first thing I would do is check that the headphones work (use a mp3 player, stereo, etc). If they work fine, I would guess that it's because of the drivers. It might be forth trying to reinstall the drivers; if that doesn't work, you can always try to roll them back.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:49 PM   #3
SandwhichThing

Banned
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
Sounds like a driver issue. The first thing I would do is check that the headphones work (use a mp3 player, stereo, etc). If they work fine, I would guess that it's because of the drivers. It might be forth trying to reinstall the drivers; if that doesn't work, you can always try to roll them back.
Headphones work fine. I plugged them into the computer and opened up the audio options (Clicked on the little speaker in the toolbar on the bottom right of the screen) and it did recognize that there was headphones plugged in. When I clicked on the headphone options and played the demo sound to see how loud/balanced they were, the sound played through the headphones. So I figured they were working. However, as soon as I opened a game from Steam, sound was not being played through the headphones and was rather coming from the speakers. Does that help/make anything more clear? Should I try installing an older audio driver for my motherboard?
SandwhichThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:31 AM   #4
TangleFoot

Have you tried fiddling with the options under FileSettingsVoice?
TangleFoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems