Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Borderlands

Old 10-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
stuuuart

Shader Model 3.0

So after 3 weeks of waiting.. I realize my computer isn't very good. When I launch Borderlands it says it encountered a problem and needs to close, I send the error report and it says something like 'needs at least Shader Model 3.0'. Now this probably has something to do with my graphic card. My friend came over and had a look at it and said that I'd probably need to go out and buy one.

This really sucks.

So he said one that would be able to help me run the game would cost about at least $100 Canadian. If anyone's able to help me out, or has advice on a kind of graphic card to get, let me know. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
Nisomi

I have the same thread as you :P Titled "Pixel Shader 3.0" (there's no difference). Yes, it does suck
Old 10-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
stuuuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisomi View Post
I have the same thread as you :P Titled "Pixel Shader 3.0" (there's no difference). Yes, it does suck
Aww. Well it's kinda nice to know other people have this problem. (but sorta sucks for them too.) I was waiting all day today to get home and play it too. Well, I'm gonna go out later and see if I can find a place to get a graphic card, and hope it works.
stuuuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
AeonGrey

Wow, how do two of you have such old computers? Shader Model 3.0 has been on video cards for probably....5 years? I don't think you can find a card now (even a cheap $20 one) that DOESN'T have SM 3.0 on it.
AeonGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
Vaemer-Riit

stuuart, you might want to do some resarch on your hardware befor you go out and buy a card. There s some usefull information on Nisomi's thread.
Vaemer-Riit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:26 PM   #6
Nisomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeonGrey View Post
Wow, how do two of you have such old computers? Shader Model 3.0 has been on video cards for probably....5 years? I don't think you can find a card now (even a cheap $20 one) that DOESN'T have SM 3.0 on it.
Oooh! Cheap? I like it! Also, the thing is my computer IS 5 years old. It runs everything smoothly, and I have no need to buy another one.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:27 PM   #7
stuuuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeonGrey View Post
I have no idea how old my computer is. I just know I've had it since I was 10. I can run TF2 perfectly well, but not this. Well it's good to know I can get a graphic card for cheap then.

Well yeah, my computer is really old.

Edit: Yeah, my computer is 5 years old too now that I think about it. And I have the same Radeon X600 thing as Nisomi. We're both in really similar situations.
stuuuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #8
RandomExplitive

LIES AND SLANDER

my computer has shader model 4.0 dudes and i get this message, also, shader model and pixel shader are not the same things, or so im told :\

in the readme of the game it has a complete list of supported video cards, you can check if yours is in there... mine is and i have this problem, anyone got a fix?

-edit-
backing me up on this is the way wikipedia shows its comparison chart... which leads me to suspect pixel shader and shader model are the same thing, curse my inability to learn, anyway, wikipedia shows that cards with pixel shader 4.0 include (for ATI that is) Radeon R600 (HD 2400-HD 2900) basically what I have

now, compare that to the readme file in the borderlands folder, hidden in there, sneaky s, it says the exact same thing!

basically, somethings up here, i say government conspiracy

Last edited by RandomExplitive: 10-27-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:16 PM   #9
CannibalBob

Hey make sure you check system requirements before buying a PC game. You need an nvidia 8xxx or radeon x850 to play.

ps. you can get a shader 3.0 card for less than $100. Maybe like $70 or less, without shipping included.

It'll be worth it though, since so many games nowadays require PS3.0 (like Bioshock).

edit:Holy , no idea if this is any good but look at that price GeForce 8400 GS

edit2: Make sure your pc has PCIe slots (not AGP) before buying anything. If not, you'll either have to find an AGP card with PS3.0 or get a new mobo!

Last edited by CannibalBob: 10-27-2009 at 02:20 PM.
CannibalBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #10
VictorKruger

i was reading the forums today and there is a command line option that you could put to force directx 9 (i think it's -dx9 ) that may help out
VictorKruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:54 PM   #11
At The Gates

Get a GTX 260 Core 216.
At The Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:12 PM   #12
RandomExplitive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannibalBob View Post
Hey make sure you check system requirements before buying a PC game. You need an nvidia 8xxx or radeon x850 to play.

ps. you can get a shader 3.0 card for less than $100. Maybe like $70 or less, without shipping included.

It'll be worth it though, since so many games nowadays require PS3.0 (like Bioshock).

edit2: Make sure your pc has PCIe slots (not AGP) before buying anything. If not, you'll either have to find an AGP card with PS3.0 or get a new mobo!

blasphemy! it says plain as day in the readme that my card is supported, the steam ones were not official.

guess it would help stating that im on a mac with crossover games, which i can already run tf2 an such on perfectly well :\
Old 10-28-2009, 05:28 PM   #13
D|ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannibalBob View Post

This is wrong. The requirements posted for this game are BS. I have a x850 and cannot play (3.0 shader prob). Hopefully they will provide a workaround in the form of a patch (supporting 2.0, like other games have). Plenty of people having this problem, and they posted the wrong system requirements.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:21 PM   #14
Nekomancer

@D|ng,
i don't think there will be a workaround, as EVERY SINGLE GAME BASED ON UNREAL ENGINE 3 REQUIRES SHADER MODEL 3.0. Not even one game with this engine supports Shader Model 2.0. This engine isn't new and Shader Model 3.0 is even older. Videocards that support that were released 5 years ago by nVidia, ATI needed one year to release theirs. In PC terms that's very, very, very old. Even ATI abandoned this videocard. Support for this videocard was dropped. The latest Catalyst that supports your videocard is 9.4. That was released half a year ago.

So don't cry because your 5 year old videocard that isn't supported anymore by the developer isn't able to run a game on an engine that's 2 years old.

Get new hardware, yours is just outdated.

Last edited by Nekomancer: 10-28-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Nekomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:55 AM   #15
D|ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekomancer View Post
@D|ng,
i don't think there will be a workaround, as EVERY SINGLE GAME BASED ON UNREAL ENGINE 3 REQUIRES SHADER MODEL 3.0. Not even one game with this engine supports Shader Model 2.0. This engine isn't new and Shader Model 3.0 is even older. Videocards that support that were released 5 years ago by nVidia, ATI needed one year to release theirs. In PC terms that's very, very, very old. Even ATI abandoned this videocard. Support for this videocard was dropped. The latest Catalyst that supports your videocard is 9.4. That was released half a year ago.

So don't cry because your 5 year old videocard that isn't supported anymore by the developer isn't able to run a game on an engine that's 2 years old.

Get new hardware, yours is just outdated.
I wasn't crying geek, I was correcting that gentlemen up there when I saw that he mentioned my card would work. I wouldn't have a problem if the bags didn't post my machine as able to play the game. That's just sloppy & irresponsible; not good business practice. I'm sure you're okay with it though. I bet you're on the cutting edge dumping rolls of dough in your machines. That's great hobby you got there. I bet your shot still sucks.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Borderlands